Epcot needs refurbishment

disfreak-o

Account Suspended
Original Poster
Don't you think Epcot looks alittle out- dated for being in the future? Epcot was built in the 80's so the expectations for the future were different. The sphere (icon) for Epcot should stay because it makes Epcot for what it is but some of the buildings need an updated look. Not 80's! It needs a cool futuristic look, like metallic. Something to make it different. It has old buildings mixed with colorful spinning props and lots of flowers. I know the flowers and landscaping are nice but I don't think the "City of the Future" is actually going to have colorful flowers everywhere. And I'm just talking about The Land, the center of Future World with the shops and restaurants(except the fountain) and some of the other original pavilions. I'm just saying, "new look!"

buxfan37

Oh yeh i know. The only two futuristic looking parts of EPCOT is Mission:Space and Test Track. You can see how the Land, Living Seas, and Wonders of Life look so retro. I guess you can see if Horizons got removed ( with an ugly pavillion building ) then all the others should be taken away with a more futuristic look, ur better exterior decor.

SpectroMan

Originally posted by disfreak-o
I know the flowers and landscaping are nice but I don't think the "City of the Future" is actually going to have colorful flowers everywhere.

Actually, landscaping is becoming quite big. People are finally realizing that they need nature in their lives. Colorful flowers and landscaped areas, like in Epcot, will be the way of the future.

I think all of the pavilions in Future World are amazing. Yes, I could see them repainting the older pavilions, cleaning them up.

You have to realize that the structure of almost of all the buildings are functional. The Living Seas almost looks like waves and ripples of the water. Universe of Energy is low and sleek because of all the mirrors on top of it. The Land is designed into the hills around it. And, Wonders of Life looks like a cell.

I hope that the future looks more like that than the cold look of today. Remember, Epcot at one time looked more futuristic because of the color scheme that was much colder. When the tramsformation between EPCOT Center and Epcot took place, there began the more colorful painting of the pavilions.

Yes, I do agree the pavilions need to be redone, but not dramatically. They just need to be cleaned and spruced up some.

Pioneer Hall

Originally posted by buxfan37
Oh yeh i know. The only two futuristic looking parts of EPCOT is Mission:Space and Test Track. You can see how the Land, Living Seas, and Wonders of Life look so retro. I guess you can see if Horizons got removed ( with an ugly pavillion building ) then all the others should be taken away with a more futuristic look, ur better exterior decor.

Not for nothing, Test Track is housed in the same building that World of Motion was in. It looks the same as it did in the 80's. The only difference in the track. Truthfully I don't think the buildings are that bad. They are each pretty incredible to themselves since they have such interesting architecture. I don't think that they really need a rehab that badly, maybe just a clean up.

Chefjason1974

I dont think it is neccessarily the look, But the content of some of the buildings that are out of date. I've said this before that I think Epcot is trying to change the futristic image. For example:

Nothing futuristic about the WOM or the new Soarin. MS is the only new arrival to even be remotley futuristic. The LS used to be more futuristic but now it is nothing more than an aquarium with a few fish. I think the direction that epcot is going is a correct one. A little bit of education with enough thrills not to bore people to tears like the old UE.

esauerh

I would tend to say the same thing. The retro future look is "in". A nostalgic look at a future that never will be...

Plus, with recent "trends" of yoga and feng shui (I use trends for lack of a better word, not to minimize the impact they have on our culture), the US is beginning to rethink what is important in work/life balance. I see every day in corporate America people asking why they are there...that there has to be something more fulfilling and meaningful in life.

For the most part, the "me" generation is over, except in the sense that people want to take care of themselves body/mind/spirit. Part of that shift requires taking an introspective look at yourself, reacquainting yourself with nature, tending to your spirit/psyche/what-have-you.

In that sense, Epcot models that with its less cold look at the future. It's about realizing our interconnectedness -- through things like SSE on how our world gets smaller the faster we communicate and like World Showcase where nations unite. It's about being one with our environment -- through the Land and the Living Seas and Universe of Energy.

And while Walt Disney looked at Epcot as the city to work, live, and play, Orlando due to WDW really has become that type of city. I'm proud to start as a CM on Monday (relocating this weekend) and realized that I will have the best of that world...living in Orlando, working/playing at WDW.

Eric

BalooChicago

Test Track is one of the only "old" FW pavilions that is not woefully dated. While the Geosphere itself isn't either (apart from the hideous adornment of the stars and wand) the rest of SE is dated. The original WOM show building always reminded me of a building from the 33 world's fair. MS is an excellent work of architecture, but UOE, WOL, Imagination, The Land, and Living Seas (Not to mention Innoventions) are ANCIENT looking. There is a lot of smart things that Disney could do to update the buildings without necessarily replacing them. I am currently studying for the LEED exam, LEED is a "Green Building" accreditation system and has become one of the hottest issues in architecture. That Disney hasn't done something to at least educate people on the LEED system is a shame. Updating one of the Pavilions such that it would be LEED rated would be awesome (Modern "Green" buildings are not the aesthetic atrocities they used to be).

Off my pedestal...

SpectroMan

Originally posted by BalooChicago
That Disney hasn't done something to at least educate people on the LEED system is a shame. Updating one of the Pavilions such that it would be LEED rated would be awesome (Modern "Green" buildings are not the aesthetic atrocities they used to be).

You are just like Disney then...

Don't tell us what LEED is!

Testtrack321

Originally posted by disfreak-o
It needs a cool futuristic look, like metallic.

I can just see it now...

Epcot: Sponsored by 'Apple Comptuer'
Everything is in brushed metal! :lol:

errr... never mind, it's a Mac joke. :lookaroun

BalooChicago

Originally posted by SpectroMan
You are just like Disney then...

Don't tell us what LEED is!

Sorry, I thought "LEED is a "Green Building" accreditation system" was enough for a "layman's" explaination...

US Green Building Council

From the USGBC Website
The LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) Green Building Rating System™ is a voluntary, consensus-based national standard for developing high-performance, sustainable buildings. Members of the U.S. Green Building Council representing all segments of the building industry developed LEED and continue to contribute to its evolution. LEED standards are currently available or under development for:

• New commercial construction and major renovation projects (LEED-NC)
  • Existing building operations (LEED-EB, Pilot version)
  • Commercial interiors projects (LEED-CI, Pilot version)
  • Core and shell projects (LEED-CS, Pilot version)
  • Homes (LEED-H)

USGBC member committees are actively collaborating on new and existing LEED standards. Check for periodic LEED updates.

LEED was created to:

• define "green building" by establishing a common standard of measurement
  • promote integrated, whole-building design practices
  • recognize environmental leadership in the building industry
  • stimulate green competition
  • raise consumer awareness of green building benefits
  • transform the building market

The building industry has the capability of having a drastic and serious impact on the environment. LEED is a way of advocating Green practices. Many (If not most) of the issues addressed by LEED are not necessarily visible changes to building design, but rather changes "behind the scenes".

General Grizz

Test Track . . . futuristic?

I hope not. :brick:

Epcot is absolutely beautiful right now. I wouldn't mind seeing touchups in paints here and now, but its main problem (as far as themeing things into the future) lies in its attractions (i.e. Test Track, JII).

If you want futuristic, look at World of Motion. That thing was *gorgeous* and "foward-thinking." I can't relate this image to zooming cars.

cloudboy

In a nutshell. LEED basically means designing buildings (or other projects,for that matter) that are more sensitive to their environment. This means both things such as energy efficiency and sustainability, as well as being more sensitive to the site.

To a limited degree (at least it was in late 70's terms) the Universe of Energy was designed to be energy efficient. The buiilding itself is not really that bad, if it was perhaps detailed (finished) better. In fact I think most of the pavilions are pretty good shape-wise - it's just that they tried to make them a little to "playhouse" like with the details as they have aged. I am talking things like the paint and little extras - for instance I like the idea that they have in the core, but it totally does not go with the architecture.

Unfortunately whatever you do it will become outdated at some point, unless you decide to go retro with it. The problem is a little harder to figure out without spending a lot of time looking at it, but what really needs improvement is the flow, the spacing of the buildings, and the entrances to the buildings. Most of the pavilions seem to have these little cave-like entrances.

There's no reason why future cannot mix with greenery.

figmentfan

Don't mess up Epcot!

Epcot is my favorite park in WDW. I miss the old attractions. Why mess something up when it is alright? The Land is a great building. Journey Into Imagination could be better with the reopening of Image Works. Test Track and Mission: Space are great. Universe of Energy is fine. The only pavilion that could be updated is Wonders of Life. Body Wars is stuck in the 80's.

lamarvenoy

Its expensive to retrofit buildings, often its cheaper just to build new ones. I hope the current Disney regime stops "improving" current rides, I'm not all that thrilled with their track record.

BalooChicago

Since our first trip to Epcot in 82 it had always been my favorite park. On my last trip I went with my Fiancée, who had never been to WDW, and found myself feeling like I had to apologize for Epcot. Epcot fell to #3 on this trip for me, and after EE opens it may drop to #4 (Depending on Soarin' too I suppose). You and I may "get" Epcot, but to someone who had never been to the park before it is quite difficult to explain.

RE: UOE being green, besides having solar panels on it, there isn't much "green" about UOE, and even less education about what being "green" could mean. Solar panels are the "cliché" of green buildings, but are a tiny portion of what it takes to be green (in fact, there are many green buildings that have no solar panels at all).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom