Epcot music update

thelookingglass

After re-listening to the old (now current) playlist and comparing it to the newer playlist, I honestly can't understand why anyone would prefer it. The songs are mostly outdated sounding and nowhere near as lively as the newer playlist. If they want people to not think of Epcot as a park stuck in the 1980s, this change isn't helping.

A guest complained to Guest Relations. That's all it took.
lol.

"Please fix the Yeti!"
TDO: ...no.

"Please give Spaceship Earth a proper ending!"
TDO: ...nah.

"The current Illuminations pre-show loop is too... fitting. Replace it with something a little more... outdated...ish!"
TDO: ...we can do that!

robw1997

If complaining to guest relations is all it takes to change a music loop, why don't we complain and get Busindre Reel and Our Life put back on the loop?

Sorry, cold medicine has my head all loopy and I might have missed the obvious answer here.... did the narration in the beginning change? Do they still do the part where they blow out the torches? Always my favorite....

hpyhnt 1000

After re-listening to the old (now current) playlist and comparing it to the newer playlist, I honestly can't understand why anyone would prefer it. The songs are mostly outdated sounding and nowhere near as lively as the newer playlist. If they want people to not think of Epcot as a park stuck in the 1980s, this change isn't helping.

The older playlist ('99-'04) is better from a musicality aspect since it features a better variety of music and rhythms. That being said, I do agree with you in saying that the newer playlist ('04-'10) was more up-tempo and featured songs that did a better job of creating a more lively atmosphere; the '04 playlist was probably the better preshow loop.

Not really sure how music can become "outdated" though.

TheDisneyMagic

Original Poster
Didn't make it in to Epcot last night as there was a muck up at Olive Garden with a meal and ended up being in there too long to make Illuminations, going to try and go in tonight. (Having to fight the cold weather though at the moment).

@DisneyHeather, no the torch blowing out intro is still used, it was changed a couple of years ago during the year of a million dreams to add references to Walt Disney World being the place where dreams come true but still very similar script to before.

SeaCastle

lol.

"Please fix the Yeti!"

"The current Illuminations pre-show loop is too... fitting. Replace it with something a little more... outdated...ish!"

These are completely different situations. Disney already owns the licensing fees to play the songs in the old pre-show loop. I don't believe it costs Disney a penny to re-instate an old music loop. Fixing the yeti and Spaceship Earth's descent are two sizable investments, nothing like putting an old music loop back in.

TTA-ATW

lol.

"Please fix the Yeti!"

Love that!

Don't forget
"Please give us a cool new Imagination Pavilion!"
TDO: Uhh...Do we know how to do that?

"Can you open the windows & make Innoventions/CommuniCore cool again?"
TDO:...No way Jose!

Rob562

My take on comparing the two music loops is that they each have their strong points, though they're for different reasons.

It may be just me and my memories of the Millennium Celebration, but when I listen to the original loop, I get a "world coming together as one" feeling that was central to the Millennium Celebration. It didn't necessarily have to bring out a "party atmosphere" to World Showcase, because Tapestry of Nations did that quite nicely. It just bridged the gap between the two.

And while it wasn't as great as the original Nations, Tapestry of Dreams still kept up the "party" atmosphere in World Showcase. But after it ended, there was a lack of "pre-partying atmosphere" before RoE.

Enter the second pre-show loop, which added some energy back into the time leading up to RoE. They may have decided that they want to get back to the "unified world" feeling that the first loop evoked.

Well, at least that's what I get out of them...

-Rob

hpyhnt 1000

Just wanted to update:

On January 1, the newer loop ('04-present) played in its entirety for the preshow to IllumiNations. Not sure if it was a fluke or if they've gone back to this loop or what's going on, but I definitely did NOT hear the old '99-'04 loop on Saturday.

Also, at this point, the post show music still features the god awful "Celebrate You" theme between Promise and the Tapestry of Nations music.

TheDisneyMagic

Original Poster
I have heard it alter between the two now, some times I hear the old and some times I hear the new except new years eve where a completely different loop was used which I have never heard before. (And no it wasn't anything the DJ's were playing, but it was very upbeat and quite a nice loop).

WDW Monorail

I have heard it alter between the two now, some times I hear the old and some times I hear the new except new years eve where a completely different loop was used which I have never heard before. (And no it wasn't anything the DJ's were playing, but it was very upbeat and quite a nice loop).

In between the 2 RoE shows there's a Trance and House mix played throughout the lagoon. In the past couple of years, the synchrolights and lasers were loosely programmed to the music and created a nice light show at least for 20 minutes or so. I'm not sure if the same was done this year.

blm07

Tonight was the newer loop, in the same order. Started with Sabah Habas Mustapha - Jalan Kopo, and I think ending at Hedningarna - Bierdna, and the narrator started talking over it. Also, the narrator is still Jim Cummings for the intro, but the end narration is another guy, doesn't really match :shrug:

blm07

According to wikipedia, they have installed new Bose system that mixes the preshow music with each country's music. Now, I had gone to the park a couple of months ago and heard the country music mixed with the preshow music. I figured it was a fluke, it sounded terrible. I really hope they are working to fix whatever they are doing to one of the best musical experiences in the parks.

TheDisneyMagic

Original Poster
In between the 2 RoE shows there's a Trance and House mix played throughout the lagoon. In the past couple of years, the synchrolights and lasers were loosely programmed to the music and created a nice light show at least for 20 minutes or so. I'm not sure if the same was done this year.

This is most probably what it was, it just so happens that I have been to the Magic Kingdom for the past two years on NYE so never heard it. Prior to that it was always spent at Epcot. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom