News Epcot Forever to debut as interim show before full Reflections of Earth replacement

GeneralKnowledge

I enjoy the Disney movies don't get me wrong. But I am primarily a Disney parks fan. I go to WDW for the theming, setting, attractions etc., not the characters.

Modern Disney isn’t for you then. They’ve given up on the idea that the parks can exist without IP tie ins. It’s sad, but when a key element of their “creative” workflow is maximizing the amount of plush they can sell, dumping IP into everything is the obvious result. Unfortunately for us, the uncultured masses eat it up and catering to the masses is a better business model than creating quality, unique attractions that stick to Epcot’s original mission.

TPC

I have no problem with some IPs if they are appropriate e.g. Ratatouille for France or Coco for Mexico. However, Disney princesses should just stay on magic kingdom where they belong. Epcot has never been about music, but how mankind has operated over time, through the use of technology and culture, with music only playing a small part. I am seriously confused how on earth a show just about Disney music is related to epcot. EPCOT Forever sounds phenomenal but this is a clear thematic mess that doesn't at all belong in epcot (coming from someone who hasn't even visited epcot and has been quite critical about the park).

Squishy

If you were expecting a non ip show... :hilarious: The current disney won't make a non ip show, they want to promote there movies as much as possible.

samantha521

So I’ve been following this forum for a few months now to keep up on rumors about ROE getting axed and was devastated when it was made official. My family are pretty avid WDW fans, and every Disney trip we’ve gone on since I’ve been a kid, we’ve always made it a point to see ROE multiple times. While it’s true that ROE has started to show it’s age and could use some technological upgrading and the like, the score and concept are absolutely beautiful and inspiring, and the fact that it looks like Disney is throwing it all in the trash hurts my heart. I’d been holding out hope that maybe someone would see the light and the replacement wouldn’t be as bad as people on here were predicting...

Then last night I literally had a dream (really a nightmare is the more appropriate term) about the ROE replacement. Dreamt it was literally a giant montage of projections from Disney movies swirling around world showcase lagoon. Disney’s Greatest Hits™️blasting in the background.

Then I woke up and see the announcement about the 2020 show and it’s LITERALLY that.

Fml.

Look, I don’t have anything against Disney characters and in another park this show might be kind of cool. But not every show needs (or should be) about Disney characters, and the fact that they’re replacing a show with real gravitas about humanity coming together and moving forward with....this.

My heart hurts.

THEMEPARKPIONEER

So I’ve been following this forum for a few months now to keep up on rumors about ROE getting axed and was devastated when it was made official. My family are pretty avid WDW fans, and every Disney trip we’ve gone on since I’ve been a kid, we’ve always made it a point to see ROE multiple times. While it’s true that ROE has started to show it’s age and could use some technological upgrading and the like, the score and concept are absolutely beautiful and inspiring, and the fact that it looks like Disney is throwing it all in the trash hurts my heart. I’d been holding out hope that maybe someone would see the light and the replacement wouldn’t be as bad as people on here were predicting...

Then last night I literally had a dream (really a nightmare is the more appropriate term) about the ROE replacement. Dreamt it was literally a giant montage of projections from Disney movies swirling around world showcase lagoon. Disney’s Greatest Hits™️blasting in the background.

Then I woke up and see the announcement about the 2020 show and it’s LITERALLY that.

Fml.

Look, I don’t have anything against Disney characters and in another park this show might be kind of cool. But not every show needs (or should be) about Disney characters, and the fact that they’re replacing a show with real gravitas about humanity coming together and moving forward with....this.

My heart hurts.
If this becomes a pop concert Disneys dead to me. Happily ever after has already come close to crossing the line for me

EricsBiscuit

Modern Disney isn’t for you then. They’ve given up on the idea that the parks can exist without IP tie ins. It’s sad, but when a key element of their “creative” workflow is maximizing the amount of plush they can sell, dumping IP into everything is the obvious result. Unfortunately for us, the uncultured masses eat it up and catering to the masses is a better business model than creating quality, unique attractions that stick to Epcot’s original mission.
im not saying I don't enjoy modern Disney. It's just that I'd prefer they try to come up with more original ideas for the parks.

Father Robinson

What would be great is, since it's run for longer than any show there, they tied in the cream of the crop ROE music into the EF show. I still think they should incorporate a medley of it into the FoN shows. That way the fans who will miss this iconic music can still experience a taste of it IN the park!

samantha521

Honestly given the description of the new 2020 show being a “celebration of Disney music” I can’t see any way for it to be conceptually salvaged, but it would sting *ever so slightly less* if they incorporated part of the ROE score into it

Does anyone know if any of the score is gonna be salvaged at all?

GeneralKnowledge

im not saying I don't enjoy modern Disney. It's just that I'd prefer they try to come up with more original ideas for the parks.

I agree with you. I just think those days are in the past. If the sales figures from the Everest gift shop we’re higher than maybe it’d be a different story but I think that will go down as the last IP-free attraction in Disney history. (Unless I’m forgetting a more recent one)

PizzaPlanet

It's looking like HEA on water. I was hoping they'd do more to tie it into the themes of World Showcase, but from what we know it seems like they're barely trying.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom