Epcot - Drinking Around the World. Wise?

Phonedave

I feel the urge to chime in here as someone who is both enjoys both wine (French Bordeaux especially), beer, and has an affinity for single malts (especially those of the Islay region) and who at one time took the brewing of beer quite seriously. And someone who in college did more than their fair share of drinking 'games'.

1) Drinking around the world is most assuredly a game. You are trying to drink a set number of drinks. If you would not normally drink that much, then you are trying to drink more than is normal. Hence, it's a game. Sampling drinks around the world, where you say "ok, no more for me, I am getting a bit inebriated - thats not a game, thats sampling drinks.

2) There is no definitive mechanism to define any impact sugar has on either a hangover or on alcohol absorption rate. Sweet drinks (as well as drinking through a straw) will tend to make you drink faster. The faster you drink, the quicker you become drunk, but it does not magically increase the power of alcohol.

3) Same goes for mixing drinks. Some drinks may not sit well with a person, because of what is in them, but it is not some magic interaction with the alcohol. For instance, Yukon Jack does me wrong. Not because of any alcohol reaction, but because I find it cloyingly sweet and it has a taste to it that I just do not like.

4) Higher order alcohols, also called long chain alcohols or fusel oils are THOUGHT to contribute to hangovers. They come from fermenting at too hot a temperature. If you are homebrewing and your beer has a 'hot' taste to it, like a solvent, this is the reason why. You fermented at too high a temp. However, again, there is no clear proof. Some drinks (whiskey, some ales) SHOULD have fusel oils in them, it is part of the flavor profile.

So, what does cause a hangover? Nobody really knows for sure. Dehydration, liver enzymes, blood sugar levels, and ethanol withdraw are all though to be contributers.

In addition CERTAIN sugars, fusel oils, and metals are also though to 'enhance' the hangover. Not all sugars, but certain specific sugars, metals, and fusel oils that bind to certain receptors. The jury is still out on just how, if at all, they do work.

Kind of take all the 'fun' and 'impressiveness' of out drinking when there is some science behind it.

-dave

worldfanatic

I feel the urge to chime in here as someone who is both enjoys both wine (French Bordeaux especially), beer, and has an affinity for single malts (especially those of the Islay region) and who at one time took the brewing of beer quite seriously. And someone who in college did more than their fair share of drinking 'games'.

1) Drinking around the world is most assuredly a game. You are trying to drink a set number of drinks. If you would not normally drink that much, then you are trying to drink more than is normal. Hence, it's a game. Sampling drinks around the world, where you say "ok, no more for me, I am getting a bit inebriated - thats not a game, thats sampling drinks.

2) There is no definitive mechanism to define any impact sugar has on either a hangover or on alcohol absorption rate. Sweet drinks (as well as drinking through a straw) will tend to make you drink faster. The faster you drink, the quicker you become drunk, but it does not magically increase the power of alcohol.

3) Same goes for mixing drinks. Some drinks may not sit well with a person, because of what is in them, but it is not some magic interaction with the alcohol. For instance, Yukon Jack does me wrong. Not because of any alcohol reaction, but because I find it cloyingly sweet and it has a taste to it that I just do not like.

4) Higher order alcohols, also called long chain alcohols or fusel oils are THOUGHT to contribute to hangovers. They come from fermenting at too hot a temperature. If you are homebrewing and your beer has a 'hot' taste to it, like a solvent, this is the reason why. You fermented at too high a temp. However, again, there is no clear proof. Some drinks (whiskey, some ales) SHOULD have fusel oils in them, it is part of the flavor profile.

So, what does cause a hangover? Nobody really knows for sure. Dehydration, liver enzymes, blood sugar levels, and ethanol withdraw are all though to be contributers.

In addition CERTAIN sugars, fusel oils, and metals are also though to 'enhance' the hangover. Not all sugars, but certain specific sugars, metals, and fusel oils that bind to certain receptors. The jury is still out on just how, if at all, they do work.

Kind of take all the 'fun' and 'impressiveness' of out drinking when there is some science behind it.

-dave

Good God, I needed some drinks just to get through this post.

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member

-dave

As a fellow homebrewer, scotch afficianado, and nerd about alcohol science, Phonedave is right on in his comments.

In terms of drinking around the world, I have enjoyed the activity twice. For planning purposes, we started with the Akershus buffet breakfast - got lots of carbs and protein in the body and more water than most camels. Then we started in Mexico, knowing in advance that the Rose and Crown would be our dinner location, with a Canadian beverage as our after dinner drink. Regardless of weather, you have to hydrate. 12oz of H2O for every 12oz of beer (or 6oz liquor). Even without drinking around the world, EPCOT is a park that requires hydration - lots of walking and not a ton of shade.

Regarding mixing your drinks, personally, I cannot mix drinks - I know many who can, but I am not one of them. I attribute it to the inherent laziness of my system. Once my body has had a beer or two, it gets used to processing at the beer rate. If I then throw a shot or quick mixed drink into the equation, by body is too lazy to begin processing the alcohol more quickly. 12 beers later, no worries. 2 beers and 1 shot, bad news. On the contrary, my wife loves tequila and will happily enjoy some after a few beers. Obviously, her system is more alert and active and willing to change gears!

Regardless, have fun! Don't do it to prove you can do it. Do it to enjoy what each country has to offer. Let it last the whole day - if you go too fast, it might ruin the day (and the next day!).

sueuk

We've done it in a more leisurely way - we've stayed at BC on our last 2 trips and each time was 2 weeks; so we just tried drinks at a couple of different countries each time we went over there. F & W time is best, and we'll do it again in September . :)

Tinkerbell 8

I was lucky enough to be in the world for my 21st birthday last year and I drank my way around Epcot. I started at 11 in Mexico with a delicious Lime/Strawberry/Mango margarita (my favorite!) can't remember exactly what else i drank except for the gray goose slush thing in France, and we ended the day at Epcot with dinner, and of course more drinks at Coral reef, then made our way to DTD and drank at Paridiso for a few hours, then headed back to the pool bar at Pop to finish off the night. It was a great way to spend my 21st birthday, with my fiance in my favorite place in the whole world :sohappy: (and no, for those who were wondering, i did not get sick)

btk2333

I was lucky enough to be in the world for my 21st birthday last year and I drank my way around Epcot. I started at 11 in Mexico with a delicious Lime/Strawberry/Mango margarita (my favorite!) can't remember exactly what else i drank except for the gray goose slush thing in France, and we ended the day at Epcot with dinner, and of course more drinks at Coral reef, then made our way to DTD and drank at Paridiso for a few hours, then headed back to the pool bar at Pop to finish off the night. It was a great way to spend my 21st birthday, with my fiance in my favorite place in the whole world :sohappy: (and no, for those who were wondering, i did not get sick)

This is awesome- I wish I had been able to do that for my 21st! I'm planning on attempting it this spring break (we're in dental school) with my wife and one other couple. Should be a blast even if we don't make it!

Pioneer Hall

I dont know about sugar but I certainly felt the effects more from tippling in the tequila bar for 4 hours drinking a single type drink than Ive ever have tiddling my way round showcase lagoon.

Only time I came close to being sick was drinking that foul concoction the Singapore Sling, no sugar ort excess involved, just a louping drink

The Singapore Sling was TERRIBLE

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Devils brew, as you can tell by our twisted faces which are normally Pitt like.

Attachments

• DSC_0453.jpg
    DSC_0453.jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 53

Bluejay

I failed miserably at it last August. My girlfriend and I showed up at about 8:00 AM and dealt with Future World by noon and went to the Biergarten for lunch (where I had a flight, plus another Becks. After that she left me and went back to the room for a nap. I should have. Instead I tried to criss cross the World Showcase to catch all the live entertainment with a coordinating adult beverage and things caught up with me in a hurry. It was hot, very, very hot, so I decided to see Impressions De France to cool off, but instead I passed out. One of those snow cone things from Kaki Gori and some time indoors in Japan helped out a lot!

rkelly42

This task of drinking around the world should be done resposibly, even though consuming that much alcohol in such a short time is not resposible. I myself have done this twice, but I have started at noon time and dragged it through closing with my final drink during illuminations. I made sure I had plenty to eat and stopped and had some water along the way as well so I could keep hydrated. There has been a couple of times I have seen large groups partaking in this and they were getting quite rowdy, but this I have seen only a couple of times, the only thing I can say is that if you plan on doing it please be respectful to those who are there trying to enjoy their vacation and do not push it past your limit. If you feel like you will not make it, just quit and enjoy the rest of your trip.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
There must be some real lightweights on here If your out of control after this task, you'd be far better sticking to sooking the barmaids apron.

Though I think you will find that the noisy holes who get wrecked have that as their mission goal from the start and that the alcohol involved is a bit more than a casual helloo cheeky from each country.

jben24

I tried it once, and it totally ruined my day. Now I just stop at the Rose and Crown and hang with a few black and tans. Cheers!!!!

epcotWSC

I failed miserably at it last August. My girlfriend and I showed up at about 8:00 AM and dealt with Future World by noon and went to the Biergarten for lunch (where I had a flight, plus another Becks. After that she left me and went back to the room for a nap. I should have. Instead I tried to criss cross the World Showcase to catch all the live entertainment with a coordinating adult beverage and things caught up with me in a hurry. It was hot, very, very hot, so I decided to see Impressions De France to cool off, but instead I passed out. One of those snow cone things from Kaki Gori and some time indoors in Japan helped out a lot!

It's rough in the summer. I always fail horribly because it's like walking through a death trap when it's that hot.

Mrs.Toad

I have tried many, er, strategies over the years. Usually it is discussed in the "war room" ( monorail) before we disembark and enter Epcot.

We think we've got Napoleon beat with our WS tactics. :ROFLOL:

I think the most efficient was: one drink that we shared, to beat the summer heat and possible dehydration (medicinal purposes) and an appetizer in each country, with liberal amounts of spring water.

And very leisurely deliberate strolling.

And the awesome suggestion on the boards was to get the Epcot passport and put a sticker on the country's page when the itinerary is uh, completed. So much fun!

:cool:

disneygirl76

Carey Poppins - Nanny and Disney Enthusiest
Ladies and gentleman, since I am staying at the Beach Club (in about a month) I was wondering... have you completed this task? I love myself a nice, cold glass of beer... have you enjoyed a sampling around the world?

Where did you start? Any struggles? Personal suggestions within countries?

:ROFLOL:

First, take a multi vitamin and a drink lots of water prior to taking on this task. Oh, and good luck! Yes, it has been done as I have heard on the boards here but not by myself - well, not the "real" drinking around the world. My DH and I have tried this three times. The first time - I sort of did but not really. It was food and wine fest so there were a lot of extra booths. So I did have 11 drinks - but not of the real Epcot countries. And not wise to do 11 drinks! Mostly beer though, and b/c wine and food fest gives small portions - half were very small drink sizes. So the 2nd time, we tried this - my DH and I made it half way around - and then couldn't do it any more - and then took 2 more days to get the rest of the countries. And on the 3rd attempt, my husband and I drank around the world, all in on day - but we split the the drinks. So again - not really!

Fun thing to do - we take a pic of each drink, wearing the hat of that country.

Also - best drinks - you have to have the Grand Marnier frozen drink in France! AMAZING!

BeachClubNut

This task of drinking around the world should be done resposibly, even though consuming that much alcohol in such a short time is not resposible. I myself have done this twice, but I have started at noon time and dragged it through closing with my final drink during illuminations. I made sure I had plenty to eat and stopped and had some water along the way as well so I could keep hydrated. There has been a couple of times I have seen large groups partaking in this and they were getting quite rowdy, but this I have seen only a couple of times, the only thing I can say is that if you plan on doing it please be respectful to those who are there trying to enjoy their vacation and do not push it past your limit. If you feel like you will not make it, just quit and enjoy the rest of your trip.

My wife and I do it in a little over 3 hours very responsibly as we don't want to waste time and be irresponsible. (LOL) We Start and End at Rose N Crown and stay at R & C for Illuminations at the end......don't know if I'm a professional or should begin a 12 step course...... ( 12 step course for 11 countries kind of funny they need to add 1 more country?) Perhaps we have a bit of a problem.......Although we do have AAA cards....oops maybe I need an AA Card Instead....:ROFLOL:

We saw lots of College Kids getting rowdy in March (Rookies) they always hang for a while at Rose n Crown as thats the only Real Full Bar.

Gee70

Ladies and gentleman, since I am staying at the Beach Club (in about a month) I was wondering... have you completed this task? I love myself a nice, cold glass of beer... have you enjoyed a sampling around the world?

Where did you start? Any struggles? Personal suggestions within countries?

:ROFLOL:

:cry: ohhh phooeey! wish I can join you... there where a few times I tried this in my much "perky" days :ROFLOL: and did not manage to do it in one day... so lately the strategy I had found worth enjoying is when Staying at BC or BW area... to have a good night rest *uh huh yeah right* start a nice greasy lunch at ESPN "wings and dingers yummy" ... then trek on to WS... starts with a Slushie In France... and work my way down... inbetween grabbing snacks... stopping at a bench or two to FB or text a friend or just people watch... and usually with this tactics I get about a 3rd done... and just plan again for the next trip for the 2nd 3rd and the last 3rd :D

so Goodluck with this endeavor and if you have found a trick to do it and still enjoy the park with no headache the next day ohhhhhhhhh please share those tricks!!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom