Epcot-Day 4 of Removal photos?

TestTrack

How about:

To the average guest, the wand helped clearly identify Epcot as a Disney park.

That was the reason it was constructed. As I've said before, now with Nemo and the 3 cabs and the rest of the characterization and Disneyfication of the park, it is no longer needed to do that. It was, however, needed for that in 1998.

No, it was built in 1999 for the purpose of celebrating the millennium, not identifying Epcot as a disney park...which is why it sported the '2000' and not 'EPCOT' at that time.

I don't anyone even back in 1999 couldn't have figured out it was a disney park once they were inside. The "Character bus" and Disney advertisements kinda gave it away. I can maybe see this being a problem for someone who is looking at pictures of it on the internet back then.

Expo_Seeker40

The average guest didn't know Epcot was a disney park? How then in 1996, for my first trip could my sister, at 5, and me, not even 10 years old yet, clearly understand and know that EPCOT was a disney park? My parents had only been two other times before, and they are not disney fans? Oh I know, because we were edjucated enough average guests to plan and learn about where we were going and what we were doing in WDW to know that EPCOT was a disney park. Good God they even had those commercials with mickey standing on top of SSE! Those were what really got me and my sister excited for WDW, more so than the castle advertisted on tv.

Champion

No, it was built in 1999 for the purpose of celebrating the millennium, not identifying Epcot as a disney park...which is why it sported the '2000' and not 'EPCOT' at that time.

I don't anyone even back in 1999 couldn't have figured out it was a disney park once they were inside. The "Character bus" and Disney advertisements kinda gave it away. I can maybe see this being a problem for someone who is looking at pictures of it on the internet back then.

No, if it was to celebrate the millennium, it wouldn't have been Mickey's arm, it would have been something more 'futuristic'.

Although you may find it unbelievable that people did not know it was a Disney park, there was a good percentage of guests that did not know Epcot was part of WDW. It was A LOT more people than you would think. Just proves how stupid people are.

Why do you think every single theme park after Epcot has carried Disney in the name directly?

The average guest didn't know Epcot was a disney park? How then in 1996, for my first trip could my sister, at 5, and me, not even 10 years old yet, clearly understand and know that EPCOT was a disney park? My parents had only been two other times before, and they are not disney fans? Oh I know, because we were edjucated enough average guests to plan and learn about where we were going and what we were doing in WDW to know that EPCOT was a disney park. Good God they even had those commercials with mickey standing on top of SSE! Those were what really got me and my sister excited for WDW, more so than the castle advertisted on tv.

There isn't a cure for stupidity.

Haven't you ever run into people who call the Magic Kingdom 'Disney World'? And that think Universal and MGM are the same thing? And that Disney owns Universal? There are lots of these people out there. Just be glad you don't run into a lot of them. I don't want to quote the poll numbers, because I haven't seen them in a LONG time, but it was a number so high that it shocked even me of people who didn't know Epcot was Disney.

As far as the commercials go, they used to have commercials with Mickey in Kissimmee, does that mean its a Disney park too? Even look at this banner on this page as I type this:

imgad
- just in case it isn't the same for you all. Its an ad for vacation homes that has Mickey and Minnie in it.

disney9752

How about:

To the average guest, the wand helped clearly identify Epcot as a Disney park.

That was the reason it was constructed. As I've said before, now with Nemo and the 3 cabs and the rest of the characterization and Disneyfication of the park, it is no longer needed to do that. It was, however, needed for that in 1998.
ummmmmmmmmmmm didnt it say 2000 first NOT epcot? how did 2000 identify epcot as a disney park???????????????

Krozar

Haven't you ever run into people who call the Magic Kingdom 'Disney World'?

Every day.

-at TTC, walking to the cafeteria-
"Sir... sir *grabs my arm* How do I get to Disney World?"
I know what they mean, but I refuse for anyone to refer to it as that.
"You're in Disney World"

Champion

Every day.

-at TTC, walking to the cafeteria-
"Sir... sir *grabs my arm* How do I get to Disney World?"
I know what they mean, but I refuse for anyone to refer to it as that.
"You're in Disney World"

I've always liked the response of "What do you ... is stand right there."

brkgnews

Tree of life doesn't have anything Mickey on it (yet :lookaroun) and folks seem to know where that they're at Disney's Animal Kingdom.

ToTBellHop

and you can bet if Disney's Epcot didn't sound so dumb, they would've changed it to that.

It was Eisner who made sure everything had Disney (parks and all the resorts), but even he had the common sense to realized Disney's Epcot sounds dumb.

Vernonpush

No, if it was to celebrate the millennium, it wouldn't have been Mickey's arm, it would have been something more 'futuristic'.

Although you may find it unbelievable that people did not know it was a Disney park, there was a good percentage of guests that did not know Epcot was part of WDW. It was A LOT more people than you would think. Just proves how stupid people are.
Why do you think every single theme park after Epcot has carried Disney in the name directly?

There isn't a cure for stupidity.

Haven't you ever run into people who call the Magic Kingdom 'Disney World'? And that think Universal and MGM are the same thing? And that Disney owns Universal? There are lots of these people out there. Just be glad you don't run into a lot of them. I don't want to quote the poll numbers, because I haven't seen them in a LONG time, but it was a number so high that it shocked even me of people who didn't know Epcot was Disney.

As far as the commercials go, they used to have commercials with Mickey in Kissimmee, does that mean its a Disney park too? Even look at this banner on this page as I type this:

imgad
- just in case it isn't the same for you all. Its an ad for vacation homes that has Mickey and Minnie in it.
I reminds me of the old saying :"You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him think".:lol:
Did the "average" guest understand that Epcot was a part of WDW after the wand and "Epcot" was put up? Did it help with "the branding" after it being up there,for what 6 years, after the Millenium?:shrug: I don't know what the surveys said, but I'm sure the same amount of people were just as clueless.

It is so sad when America has to sink to the "lowest common denominator" in everything it does. I can understand the International Traveler coming to America for the first time. But when we have a game show called "Are you smarter than a 5th grader?" It makes me sad that there are quite a few who are. And they keep on having stupid children!:lol: What ever happend to "Survival of the fittest"?:lol:

Sorry for my rant!:lookaroun

Vernonpush

and you can bet if Disney's Epcot didn't sound so dumb, they would've changed it to that.

It was Eisner who made sure everything had Disney (parks and all the resorts), but even he had the common sense to realized Disney's Epcot sounds dumb.
Well, considering that Epcot is not Walt Disney's vision of what EPCOT should be, Eisner should be commended!:lol:

Krozar

Because he never thought of "DEPCOT"

Disney's Early Prototype Community of Tomorrow.

Vernonpush

:ROFLOL:
Because he never thought of "DEPCOT"

Disney's Early Prototype Community of Tomorrow.
He didn't have to. That was his intent! It would have stood on it's own.

Where the thinkers of the tomorrow could come together and display their hope of the future.
When they decided that it should become a theme park, it's no longer Walt's EPCOT.
* and by the way it was "Experimental" not "Early"*

WDWFigment

I'm not holding my breath on the sticky status...do we even have moderators anymore? I'm not so sure.

I'm sure you'll get the typical, "this is a volunteer position, we work hard to keep these forums in line, blah blah blah," here are the hard facts.

There are four moderators on these boards (quite a low number if you ask me).
Erika: two posts in the last two days...to wish people happy birthday
Eeyore: last post was on June 18th
The Mom: last post was on July 7th
WDWMagic: posts daily, sporadic exceptions

Don't get me wrong, I love the site and that is why I want it to be as best as it can be.

BuzzComplexCM

I'm sure you'll get the typical, "this is a volunteer position, we work hard to keep this forums in line, blah blah blah," here are the hard facts.

There are four moderators on these boards (quite a low number if you ask me).
Erika: two posts in the last two days...to wish people happy birthday
Eeyore: last post was on June 18th
The Mom: last post was on July 7th
WDWMagic: posts daily, sporadic exceptions

Don't get me wrong, I love the site and that is why I want it to be as best as it can be.

I hear ya. I emailed about the sticky as well and I got no response or action. It's sad to see the main page as, "Wand, Wand, Wand, Wand, Wand" it got old too fast.

WDWFigment

ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm :brick:

Mickey is a Disney character, last I checked.

But you're assuming people who aren't smart enough to recognize they're in a Disney park when they're in Walt Disney World are smart enough to recognize Mickey's arm from an "artsy old movie", without the rest of his body. Where's the logic in that?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom