Epcot almost sunk. (Part of it)

The Visionary Soul

Original Poster
I heard something interesting a few days ago. Evidently all the construction going on near the back of Club Cool wasn't planned. A construction worker that was taking down the Butterfly Garden Structure was digging and hit a major water line. The entire area was flooded and almost became a sinkhole. The entire area is now under an emergency rebuilding project. That is why the entire area and surrounding pathway is closed. Just an update for ya.

bhg469

I heard something interesting a few days ago. Evidently all the construction going on near the back of Club Cool wasn't planned. A construction worker that was taking down the Butterfly Garden Structure was digging and hit a major water line. The entire area was flooded and almost became a sinkhole. The entire area is now under an emergency rebuilding project. That is why the entire area and surrounding pathway is closed. Just an update for ya.
Well that guy is in trouble.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Yep it certainly seems like something along those lines. I had not heard anything directly, but it appeared to be sudden, unplanned, and took place right around that time.

jt04

I will be more inclined to believe this if someone were to possibly get some pictures from the monorail. Better hurry I guess.

Soarin' Over Pgh

Well now there's one way of solving overcrowding at the water parks. Add FP+ and a Photo Pass and raise the price of entry.

Seriously though, that's crazy scary. Are they able to structure it and secure the area enough so that it doesn't go all sinkhole on us?

Edit to add- and what would have happened if it indeed become a sinkhole? Would the park be condemned? How do they handle something like that? As you can plainly tell, I'm not from sinkhole prone Florida.

jt04

Well now there's one way of solving overcrowding at the water parks. Add FP+ and a Photo Pass and raise the price of entry.

Seriously though, that's crazy scary. Are they able to structure it and secure the area enough so that it doesn't go all sinkhole on us?

Edit to add- and what would have happened if it indeed become a sinkhole? Would the park be condemned? How do they handle something like that? As you can plainly tell, I'm not from sinkhole prone Florida.

They can be filled if they are not too big. I have to believe though that the site was tested before construction began way back when. Like I said, I will believe it when we see evidence. Pictures from the monorail would be simple enough.

Hoop Raeb

Formerly known as...
Yep it certainly seems like something along those lines. I had not heard anything directly, but it appeared to be sudden, unplanned, and took place right around that time.

I can't believe I didn't take a photo but when I was there for the Flower and Garden festival, one area down by the lake looked like a sinkhole had swallowed up the flowers that were part of the giant flowerscape surrounding the lake. They had orange netting up around it to keep workers out. This is on the lake side of the path. It happened on its own after the flowers had been planted since they were all falling down into the hole. Sorry, no photo.

Goofyernmost

If you have ever, even not in Florida, come across a big hole in the street where a water main has broken, you would understand just how possible, and believable, that this story is. Logically, there is no other reason, but, it's not the same as a natural sinkhole which can indicate a lot of stability problems in the immediate area. There is a natural sinkhole very close to that, however. That is the under the pond near the Odyssey Building.

It's kind of comical how some of the most outlandish statements are made on a board like this are immediately picked up as god's honest truth, yet, something quite believable is questioned. What else could it be? Take off the tin hats and tell us what other reason would make any sense at all other then a natural or accidental sinkhole.

5thGenTexan

I can't believe I didn't take a photo but when I was there for the Flower and Garden festival, one area down by the lake looked like a sinkhole had swallowed up the flowers that were part of the giant flowerscape surrounding the lake. They had orange netting up around it to keep workers out. This is on the lake side of the path. It happened on its own after the flowers had been planted since they were all falling down into the hole. Sorry, no photo.

Well, that explains why some things take along time to reach completion. If they were to adopt a policy to allow workers INTO construction area things would progress more quickly I bet. ;):)

FerretAfros

For some reason, I find this "news" a little hard to believe.
I agree. I'm not sure how work for the butterfly house (behind MouseGear) would cause a pipe to burst by Club Cool. I'm also not sure how it can "almost" create a sinkhole; by their very nature, sinkholes pop up out of nowhere is almost no warning
The park would not be condemned. At most, a building or two would be condemned, but not the whole park. More likely, they'd close the area temporarily while they shore everything up

For what it's worth, there's already a fairly large sinkhole in the park. The World of Motion building was intended to be closer to the park's central axis, but they discovered a sinkhole early in construction. The building was moved back, and the sinkhole was repurposed into the lake next to the Odyssey restaurant. No reason to shut down the entire park if they can get a little creative with what nature hands them!

Figment2005

It happened toward the end of the Flower and Garden Festival. One of the flower beds near the eastern side of the bridge connecting future world and world showcase collapsed due to the break. This was all easily visible from the monorail, but they weren't able to do anything about it until the butterfly net came down. I don't know any exact details, this is just what was visible when passing on the train.

kma71677

LOL- they got y'all fooled!! It's actually a new underground addition they are adding called "The UnderWorld". FP+ will be added for a M&G with Hades from Hercules. I hear there will be a new dark coaster as well- based on all the movies that Disney has produced that have "gone under" at the box office. Should be a real toasty adventure!!

Tom Fitzgerald is starting to make his changes quick! ;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom