Entrance Scanners/FastPass+ down at DHS

71jason

Original Poster
Twitter is blowing up, to no one's surprise.

Word from @lentesta: Word is that FP+, entrance turnstile systems didn't restart correctly after a planned power test last night at DHS. ^len

Handing out paper guest recovery FPs as a stop-gap measure, apparently. More to come, I'm sure, as well as the 673rd argument on MM+.

GrumpyFan

I think it's safe to say the power test failed yikes

Hate it when that happens! As an IT guy, I've seen this occur more times than I would prefer. Usually a server or process doesn't properly initialize, or doesn't do it in the right sequence or timing, and then other processes that rely on it may fail also. However, there are tools available that could alert you when these things happen. The sad part though, is that many times the systems/processes are set up to be monitored, as that's usually forgotten, until it fails that is. I have to wonder if something along these lines is what happened.

tissandtully

I'm a pretty technical guy but why does there need to be a power test on stuff that is hooked up to a generator anyways? I know they have to test the generator, why do they need to cut power completely? Are these systems not hooked up to the gen?

Soarin' Over Pgh

Ha!

Another random tweet: TOT was not running, fairfax fries was having a difficulty serving guests and the opening of RNR was severely delayed.

Other people describing main gate as a "cf". I have a friend in Guest Relations at DHS, I feel for him right now.

Errr. I guess I'm a little slow, but what is "CF" ?

This sounds messy. Where's that Michael Jackson eating popcorn gif at?

tCp90.gif

msteel

I'm a pretty technical guy but why does there need to be a power test on stuff that is hooked up to a generator anyways? I know they have to test the generator, why do they need to cut power completely? Are these systems not hooked up to the gen?

Where I work, the generators are offline until the power fails. Then they come up automatically, and critical systems are protected by UPS during the gap. At least that it how it is supposed to work but because failures happen in the real world, things get tested periodically.

bhg469

Ok serious question, if someone shows up with a magic band, do they not just get waived through? Our ticketing systems can operate with power outages. They aren't 100% perfect but they function until connectivity.

GrumpyFan

Hard to know the answer to this, but just guessing I would say it was a routine power test of either the generators, ups or complete power-down and re-start to ensure everything would come back up. It being central FL, they have a lot of storms and routinely have power losses during the summer. So, I wouldn't think it that unusual to have a test of these systems outside of an actual event to try and verify that everything would indeed work in a real situation. Failure of such a test, while inconvenient this morning will hopefully spur some investigations into what happened and a measure put in place to prevent it again.

Any word on whether the issues have been resolved yet?

WelshBatman

The President will hold a press conference at 2...

In all seriousness though GrumpyFan is right. Over the summer we get so many storms and so much wind that the power flickers all the time. Disney has their own grid, but it's subject to the same enviroment. It's better they test it now and find out what may or may not happen with the hurricane season approaching. This way they have 3+ months to fix it (if they can).

That said, if it's as bad as people are saying, this really shouldn't have happened.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom