Enlightenment Please: What is a Lifestyler?

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Sure....they absolutely could be. Or they absolutely could not be. Who knows? I have a better one. Who cares? I can tell you right now that I am absolutely as far removed from the "getting something free from Disney" spectrum of fandom as there is. I pay for every last thing. However, I also have an almost completely positive view on the company, the parks, and what have you. Anything I post about Disney is almost always very positive. I'm sure that many more like me do exist, who simply like things because.....they like things.
Because many of these same reviews and reports are utilized by those unfamiliar with or completely new to WDW. If someone wants to run such a site, fine. But they should also disclose if they're receiving freebies from TWDC before writing supposedly independent reviews....

lazyboy97o

Sure....they absolutely could be. Or they absolutely could not be. Who knows? I have a better one. Who cares? I can tell you right now that I am absolutely as far removed from the "getting something free from Disney" spectrum of fandom as there is. I pay for every last thing. However, I also have an almost completely positive view on the company, the parks, and what have you. Anything I post about Disney is almost always very positive. I'm sure that many more like me do exist, who simply like things because.....they like things.
That last line is rather enlightening. Why is it so important to just like things?

WV_Jayola

That last line is rather enlightening. Why is it so important to just like things?

I don't know that it is important to. Or that it's not important to. It's just how I live my life.

If something isn't making me happy, or isn't making my life better, I simply don't do it or don't spend time on it. But if something is meeting my entertainment needs, I just like it. Up to this point, Disney has done nothing but make me happy, and make my life better. I get enjoyment out of seeing any little post or pic from the parks, any little tweet talking about some new piece of merch on the shelves. Maybe I'm just a blinded, pixie dusted buffoon....but man, I'm completely okay with that.

jeff.

Daniel Johnson

I don't know that it is important to. Or that it's not important to. It's just how I live my life.

If something isn't making me happy, or isn't making my life better, I simply don't do it or don't spend time on it. But if something is meeting my entertainment needs, I just like it. Up to this point, Disney has done nothing but make me happy, and make my life better. I get enjoyment out of seeing any little post or pic from the parks, any little tweet talking about some new piece of merch on the shelves. Maybe I'm just a blinded, pixie dusted buffoon....but man, I'm completely okay with that.

jeff.
As I get your philosophy. And admire it, that ain't the way the world works. You can't simply put things off you don't like. Though you can simply not do entertainment options. But, its documented that some of these people actually expect things above and beyond the realm of usual guest services. Yes. Disney normally goes above the norm, but hours of sitting with a character, getting into restricted guest areas.
But, you are right. People might waste time complaining about said people... That's life though. Its a social thing, and a sick, sad, normal thing. Some people complain on forums. Its a way of connecting man. No big thing.

asianway

The term "Lifestyler" has popped up here and there throughout threads and I'm trying to figure what it means. o_O

Is it a WDW subculture? People who work at WDW? People that have no jobs and endless money and practically "live" at WDW? People that ONLY vacation at WDW? Are we lifestylers because we're active in the boards and follow WDW news? All of the above?

I know others are confused as well so I thought I'd throw the question out there.

Thank you. :)
It's like ography. It's hard to explain but you know it when you see it

ItlngrlBella

Original Poster
^^^ I get what you mean.

Yep, I found out the hard way recently on Instagram. I'm a huge fan of the whole Dapper Day movement (love the fashion), so on the feed that shows random pics I ended up following a couple accounts because they were posting pics from that weekend of the DD fashions. After DD, my feed was full of these folks who were stalker-level legit with certain characters. It was bananas.

I dropped them in a hot minute after that. Now I'm only following the official Dapper Day account now.

I won't follow psychos.

Daniel Johnson

^^^ I get what you mean.

Yep, I found out the hard way recently on Instagram. I'm a huge fan of the whole Dapper Day movement (love the fashion), so on the feed that shows random pics I ended up following a couple accounts because they were posting pics from that weekend of the DD fashions. After DD, my feed was full of these folks who were stalker-level legit with certain characters. It was bananas.

I dropped them in a hot minute after that. Now I'm only following the official Dapper Day account now.

I won't follow psychos.
So...your the reason I've lost followers!

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Because many of these same reviews and reports are utilized by those unfamiliar with or completely new to WDW. If someone wants to run such a site, fine. But they should also disclose if they're receiving freebies from TWDC before writing supposedly independent reviews....
^^ This.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
That being said, it's always existed in marketing. Those who tell stories of the "Freebie upgrade to first class on Delta" and then write a "letter to the editor" about it.

NearTheEars

1. "Consumers" of their published content. People know that the Disney Parks Blog and other official Disney media are going to be absolutely pro-Disney so they seek the opinions of third parties. These "independent" bloggers and such write reviews with the veneer of objectivity and impartiality when, in reality, they're just as likely to spin the "company line" as the official outlets are.

2. The Walt Disney Company. It's essentially a form of extortion. "Disney, you better keep me happy because I have 250,000 Instagram followers and I can influence them like the sheep they are. What does it take to keep me happy? Meal coupons and free admission to MNSSHP would be a nice start."

See above. There's a difference between a career and extortion. Kingdom Konsultants, the administrators of this site, the folks behind The Unofficial Guide and others have used their love of Disney to make money. Threatening Disney with bad press if you don't get what you want doesn't feel quite as legitimate to me.

I didn't know the lifestylers were actively threatening TWDC. Have the authorities been alerted?
I thought they were all brainwashed brand advocates blinded by the magic.

Anyway,
Some of Mr. Mongello's practices bother me (Like his new upcharge club) but he found his niche and business is good. If he was out posting about how terrible everything is at the WDW, eventually there would be no audience for his business to serve.

Would a WDW-specialized travel agency, like the aforementioned KK, sit down with clients and list off all of the negatives of their upcoming trip? No, they likely give the highlights. If not, people would start heading elsewhere on vacation.

That's what I see Lou and his podcasts and videos as, a WDW highlight reel. It serves a purpose.

ETA: My mission isn't to keep defending Mr. Mongello, but I did also want to point out that he is very up front about being at the free blogger/media events, often giving live updates on all of the free stuff being given out.

PhotoDave219

The term "Lifestyler" has popped up here and there throughout threads and I'm trying to figure what it means. o_O

Is it a WDW subculture? People who work at WDW? People that have no jobs and endless money and practically "live" at WDW? People that ONLY vacation at WDW? Are we lifestylers because we're active in the boards and follow WDW news? All of the above?

I know others are confused as well so I thought I'd throw the question out there.

Thank you. :)

Essentially yes. I've got stories of some of these peoples behaviors that would make your skin crawl that are simply not for public consumption.

But I'm all for naming names privately.

ItlngrlBella

Original Poster
Darn. I was ready with popcorn and everything. ;)

@PhotoDave219:
I worked several seasons on a production team for a season haunted attraction in college and we had to deal with some weird guest behavior.

If your stories are anything like ours, they must involve someone yelling..."Security!?" o_O:facepalm:
... or worse, "Police!" :eek:

Last edited:

Lee

Adventurer
Now... If you're spending Mommy & Daddy's $ "living" in the parks when you should be working or in college and instead living in their basement blogging to get "free stuff," by posting drivel - such as (examples I've seen floating around WDW FB groups and IG):

- Endless selfies around WDW. :banghead:

- Your 1,000th stalker-qualifying visit to (insert WDW character-hottie here). Seriously, you must be creeping out "the friends" by now. o_O

- Your 1-millionth "kooky n quirky" pose of the Trolley cast (I followed an IG WDW photog account recently because I wanted to see the Dapper Day fashions - those Trolley pics ate up my IG newsfeed!). :facepalm:

- The "hidden Mickey-poo" that someone left in the toilet in the new NFL bathroom. Ewww. :grumpy:

That's not providing a service to anyone and it's sad that you want to be a celebrity because of it.
Very accurate. I think you just described 60% of them...

Based on what I read, Disney actually gives lifestylers freebies if they own websites as example such as the owner of the Inside the Magic website.
Not rare for some of them to get very large tabs comped, free rooms, cruises....but they have to stay on message.

Jeff Lange actually is a lifestyler that sells Disney's DVD's on his own website that he makes including Disney Holiday DVD's. Jeff's website actually is an internet store. I know about him due to me getting his DVD's for Christmas gifts. Jeff actually records stuff at theme park like Micky's Very Christmas Party as an example and puts it on DVD to sell.
I still haven't heard a good explanation of how that's legal...

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom