England Pavillion and Prince Philip

Lilofan

Fine one to finger point about immigrants.
Immigrant food have improved the bland cuisine of the UK. Curry with chips , chicken tikka masala in London are delicious. Even the UK had acknowledged its national dish is from India. The beef dishes pale in comparison to the quality of beef here in the USA. Finger point? Pointing a fact that what is the national dish.

Lilofan

It’s pretty simple actually.
Ignorance.

In most of our minds, we overthrew our English overlords with the oppressive monarch, the King of England, back in the 1700s. Kicked his troops quite literally back into their boats in the sea.

Fast forward 250 years, with many of us not being given a solid history of the UK itself, and ya’ll in the UK having a common government, we just view you as one “unit”. Sort of like how most of the world thinks the USA is New York City or Los Angeles. That’s not the case of course, but that is how many view us.

And since our primary fixation on the UK is England, the UK = England in a general sense from our perspective.

Obviously not true, but neither is the assumption about the USA either.

Also, to clarify, being from Texas, I don’t own a horse, cowboy boots, a cowboy hat, not a lasso. I do have a gun however, so that part of the stereotype does hold true for many of us.
I bet you say "y'all" all the time. But I do say from visiting TX, everything is bigger in Texas! And I like the two favorite food groups - barbeque and tacos.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
Old Jeff Foxworthy joke about the word Mayonnaise and it's use in the deep south. Used in a sentence:

"Mayonnaise a lot of people here today."

Not exclusive to Texas though. I think I've caught myself using it a time or two.

UNCgolf

It’s pretty simple actually.
Ignorance.

In most of our minds, we overthrew our English overlords with the oppressive monarch, the King of England, back in the 1700s. Kicked his troops quite literally back into their boats in the sea.

Indeed. Most people don't realize France was involved at all, much less that French troops/supplies/navy were the biggest reason the war was won.

Also a major part of the eventual French Revolution, but that's a whole other thing.

SteveAZee

The question is entirely valid.

There was a mistake in the title and question, but I whole heartedly agree that the sentiment was sound.

You also have a valid point but perhaps the delivery left something to be desired. As a Scot I will roll my eyes at people thinking that England and the U.K. are two and the same. I dare say someone else involved in this thread may well feel the same at times too.

I would only be offended if someone repeatedly refused to acknowledge the difference. But the U.K. is a complex entity and the same mistake will continue to be made. C’est la vie.

Maybe you could accept what I said before, that the sentiment was well intentioned.
I find it a little ironic that if the intent of World Showcase was to educate and inform people about different countries... that it clearly failed with some.

Lilofan

I find it a little ironic that if the intent of World Showcase was to educate and inform people about different countries... that it clearly failed with some.
Some guests get schooled that trying to drink around the world during Food and Wine is not such a good idea and the hangover the next day is regretful.

SteveAZee

300px-British_Isles_Euler_diagram_15.svg.png

See... simple.

Animaniac93-98

And of course nobody asks if there is anything at the Canada Pavilion.

CBC spent hours covering the funeral, despite a slight majority of Canadians now wanting to cut ties with the Royals.

But the network gets funding from the same government that puts Olivia Colman on the currency, so I guess they felt it was their duty.

TokyoMiki

England vs UK, a bit hard to discern for some.
For me it's always been England Dan and John Ford Coley. Or is it England, Dan and John Ford Coley? How many singers is that exactly 2 or 3???

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom