England Pavillion and Prince Philip

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
Not sure- I live in Wales which is not in England but is in the United Kingdom, is USA in Canada?

But it is a part of the UK. Canada is not a part of the USA. You've got a Spain v Catalonia thing going. Respect. But the pavilion in EPCOT is UK - therefore encompasses Wales. Considering Charles is Prince of Wales (and son of Philip) and he is line for the throne, and Wales is a part of the UK. The OP's question surrounding possible tributes is valid.

Last edited:

Notes from Neverland

Small tributes/celebrations are fairly common at the World Showcase Pavilions when they're staffed by the international workers. Cast members celebrating with flags when France won the World Cup is a good example. Unfortunately, since the vast majority of international workers aren't there at this time, I wouldn't expect anything.

Lilofan

Small tributes/celebrations are fairly common at the World Showcase Pavilions when they're staffed by the international workers. Cast members celebrating with flags when France won the World Cup is a good example. Unfortunately, since the vast majority of international workers aren't there at this time, I wouldn't expect anything.
That's true. ICP program is null at this point.

Last edited:

gavvy

The BBC in the UK had 1000 of complaints that they had gone too far with their coverage on the, day of his death. I don't think there is an appitite for such a thing.

The UK/ England thing is kind of offensive to people outside of England and it shows a lack of culteral awareness. Its sad to see people still thinking the UK is England when it is so much more than that.

nickys

Premium Member
But it is a part of the UK. Canada is not a part of the USA. You've got a Spain v Catalonia thing going. Respect. But the pavilion in EPCOT is UK - therefore encompasses Wales. Considering Charles is Prince of Wales (and son of Philip) and he is line for the throne, and Wales is a part of the UK. The OP's question surrounding possible tributes is valid.
The question is entirely valid.

There was a mistake in the title and question, but I whole heartedly agree that the sentiment was sound.
The UK/ England thing is kind of offensive to people outside of England and it shows a lack of culteral awareness. Its sad to see people still thinking the UK is England when it is so much more than that.

You also have a valid point but perhaps the delivery left something to be desired. As a Scot I will roll my eyes at people thinking that England and the U.K. are two and the same. I dare say someone else involved in this thread may well feel the same at times too.

I would only be offended if someone repeatedly refused to acknowledge the difference. But the U.K. is a complex entity and the same mistake will continue to be made. C’est la vie.

Maybe you could accept what I said before, that the sentiment was well intentioned.

TokyoMiki

OP is right.

The UK pavilion is a misnomer irrespective of what Disney labeled it.
It should be called "England".

Those are London looking streets.
That architecture reflects "England" per se. Are there non English UK architectural accents or references there? I don't see it. Dominating that pavilion is Rose and Crown and Beatle cover band with Alice in Wonderland with Poppins popping in periodically. I doubt we'll see some William Wallace character walking around.

(but in fairness I did see a t shirt in one of the shops featuring an Australian band a few years back. I thought is was AC/DC...can't remember specifically which band or artist)

gavvy

The architecture actually represents lot more than England and we do have pubs all over called the rose and crown including in Wales and Scotland... Am unsure but I think the name rose and crown was chosen as it was the most popular name for a pub at the time. Georgian style buildings can be found all over the UK too.
Yes the characters do represent more from England but Lewis Carol was inspired by a trip to Llandudno in North Wales... If Disney wanted England they would have build England but they didn't thry built the UK.
When the IP cms come back ask them about the UK. Lots are Scottish and Welsh. There is a perminent cm in the rose and crown from Wales hes been there over 20 years, and loves to discuss his home country.
Am not sure why usa don't get the whole England UK thing.

mergatroid

Yes the characters do represent more from England but Lewis Carol was inspired by a trip to Llandudno in North Wales... If Disney wanted England they would have build England but they didn't thry built the UK.
When the IP cms come back ask them about the UK. Lots are Scottish and Welsh. There is a perminent cm in the rose and crown from Wales hes been there over 20 years, and loves to discuss his home country.

Probably because in the big scheme it doesn't affect them? Some people retain a lot of stuff that's pertinent to them, many don't. Most Americans probably don't discuss the distinction of the countries in the UK very often, therefore it's an easy thing to do. For many reading this post, this will be the first time they'll have witnessed somebody appearing to get angry over the issue.

It's probably like people who don't really do theme parks asking you after you've visited Disney World whether Disney's Harry Potter world was any good? To them it's not that important to know whether it's in Disney or Universal, in the big scheme of things it doesn't matter to them. I'm from the UK and have to say that during my school days when studying Geography, very little time was spent learning about any parts of America. They probably briefly mentioned bits here and there but not enough to know which states are what size or which states border other countries.

For those from the UK reading this, perhaps a good tribute to him would have been to send a UK pavilion CM to the Japanese Pavilion and make a racist comment about their appearance to one of the guests (joking obviously and for a valid reason)

Last edited:

mergatroid

The architecture actually represents lot more than England and we do have pubs all over called the rose and crown including in Wales and Scotland... Am unsure but I think the name rose and crown was chosen as it was the most popular name for a pub at the time. Georgian style buildings can be found all over the UK too.

Rather ironically you missed out Ireland :D

Creathir

It’s pretty simple actually.
Ignorance.

In most of our minds, we overthrew our English overlords with the oppressive monarch, the King of England, back in the 1700s. Kicked his troops quite literally back into their boats in the sea.

Fast forward 250 years, with many of us not being given a solid history of the UK itself, and ya’ll in the UK having a common government, we just view you as one “unit”. Sort of like how most of the world thinks the USA is New York City or Los Angeles. That’s not the case of course, but that is how many view us.

And since our primary fixation on the UK is England, the UK = England in a general sense from our perspective.

Obviously not true, but neither is the assumption about the USA either.

Also, to clarify, being from Texas, I don’t own a horse, cowboy boots, a cowboy hat, not a lasso. I do have a gun however, so that part of the stereotype does hold true for many of us.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom