News 'Encanto' and 'Indiana Jones'-themed experiences at Animal Kingdom

Tha Realest

Yes, Columbia has rivers and Louisiana has a salt dome. But what’s interesting about the Encanto IP is the house and the way it reflects the family.
I watched bits and pieces of Encanto but can’t for the life of me recall any significant rivers or bodies of water figuring into the film.

The casita was functionally its own character and is a vibrant setting for an attraction - it’s really a slam dunk. So of course they overthink it.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
So the Encanto attraction is a boat ride centered on Antonio? That’s certainly…a choice.
Yeah, isn't it great! It's idea that I and other posters have armchair-imagineered way before the retheme news. And when we heard it was Encanto coming, we doubled down on that fantastic idea.

Altho... we have no confirmation at this time it is definitely an Antonio's door thing.

Just want to say that just in case it isn't and a year from now someone says, "You were all WRONG about Antonio's door!!"

We don't know. Just guessing at this point.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
I watched bits and pieces of Encanto but can’t for the life of me recall any significant rivers or bodies of water figuring into the film.

The casita was functionally its own character and is a vibrant setting for an attraction - it’s really a slam dunk. So of course they overthink it.
I guess it's not a book report ride then, and has the freedom to explore outside (or... deeper into?...) Casita.

How many rivers and lakes were in the original movie that it made sense to have Splash Mountain based on SotS?

mikejs78

Premium Member

Only one of the most important and poignant scenes in the whole movie....

1713834541342.png

mikejs78

Premium Member
Exactly. It would't really make sense if the ride took place anywhere outside casita, and it's basically confirmed that will be the exterior of the ride.

No, but it is what makes the movie unique (as well as the family and the music). What’s the point of using an IP if you aren’t going to play to its strengths?

And the most important scene in the movie took place at a river. I would argue that this scene *is* one of the strengths of Encanto.

There's no reason that the ride couldn't start at Casita but then involve a storyline that takes us to the Caño Cristales.

Casper Gutman

I guess it's not a book report ride then, and has the freedom to explore outside (or... deeper into?...) Casita.

How many rivers and lakes were in the original movie that it made sense to have Splash Mountain based on SotS?
The choice isn't between a "book report ride" and a ride that completely abandons the themes and strengths of the IP.

The hatred of "book report rides" is being opportunistically inflated by folks trying to defend Disney (which really isn't needed in this case). Besides, the best alternative to "book report rides" are "rides that focus on one integral aspect or scene from the original" - ie. Snow White, Mine Train, Mr Toad, Peter Pan, Splash, etc.

And no, the ride is not going to center on the tragic setting in which the protagonist's grandfather was brutally murdered. Don't be silly.

mikejs78

Premium Member
That's not what Encanto is about... Guests don't want to go on a voyage to the place Mirabel's grandfather was killed. That would be crazy

It absolutely is a big part of what Encanto is about - it may not be what you appreciate about the film, but it's literally the climax of the film.

And it's also where the family got their gifts. They wouldn't have to play up the death of her grandfather at all.

One possible story treatment could be something is threatening the Caño Cristales - and since that river is practically sacred ground to the family, they must defend and protect it.

There are numerous other treatments that could work. But to say that nature or water had no place in Encanto is flat out wrong.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
The choice isn't between a "book report ride" and a ride that completely abandons the themes and strengths of the IP.

The hatred of "book report rides" ...
My point isn't that "book report rides are bad" but someone saying that X can't be in the ride because X wasn't in the movie.

That reasoning is valid only if the ride is a book report ride re-creating the movie.

I wasn't rending a verdict on the worthiness of book report rides. Just that their line of reasoning is faulty because rides can indeed be something other than a book report.

Fox&Hound

Sorry, but a boat ride just makes no sense whatsoever. Course a boat ride does not make sense for Frozen either and they make that work. I just wish they would use a ride vehicle and set up that makes sense and does not seem counter to the IP they are using.

mikejs78

Premium Member

The hatred of "book report rides" is being opportunistically inflated by folks trying to defend Disney (which really isn't needed in this case). Besides, the best alternative to "book report rides" are "rides that focus on one integral aspect or scene from the original" - ie. Snow White, Mine Train, Mr Toad, Peter Pan, Splash, etc.

And no, the ride is not going to center on the tragic setting in which the protagonist's grandfather was brutally murdered. Don't be silly.

It's also the location where Mirabel and Abuela finally come to an understanding and where Mirabel essentially saves the family.

Casper Gutman

It absolutely is a big part of what Encanto is about - it may not be what you appreciate about the film, but it's literally the climax of the film.

And it's also where the family got their gifts. They wouldn't have to play up the death of her grandfather at all.

One possible story treatment could be something is threatening the Caño Cristales - and since that river is practically sacred ground to the family, they must defend and protect it.

There are numerous other treatments that could work. But to say that nature or water had no place in Encanto is flat out wrong.
And maybe we can follow this attraction up with one focused on Bambi's Mom getting shot or the opening of Up.

But those examples aren't even as silly as the Encanto river idea because at least those scenes are iconic. What people remember and love about Encanto is the magical house, the music, Mirabel, Bruno, Isabela, and Luisa. The conflict with the Grandmother works very well in the film but is strictly secondary to what made it popular and what makes it suitable for a ride.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom