News 'Encanto' and 'Indiana Jones'-themed experiences at Animal Kingdom

Quietmouse

My fingers are crossed that Martin’s and Steve’s optimism is partially related to the scale/quality of the Encanto ride. Tropical Americas would be a disappointment without a new-build e-ticket…

I’m sorry but getting rid of Dino Rama is a blessing in of itself.

Animal kingdom is easily, outside of Disney sea, the most attractive themed park in the world.

Dino Rama was a victim of the budget cuts that occurred, but ultimately always sticked out like a sore thumb compared to the rest of the lands of animal kingdom.

TrainsOfDisney

My fingers are crossed that Martin’s and Steve’s optimism is partially related to the scale/quality of the Encanto ride. Tropical Americas would be a disappointment without a new-build e-ticket…
Me too! Encanto is one of Disneys best movies of the recent era and deserves a great attraction. Plus DAK needs a fun, family dark ride. So really hope they deliver here.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
@marni1971

What're your thoughts on the addition of Tropical Americas at DAK? Do you approve?
It's weird that this seems to be one of the few "on-theme" additions coming to any WDW park.
Your opinion is highly respected. Especially among so many bad decisions the company has been making lately.
Thank you. Personally I’d prefer to keep a refurbished Dinosaur as well as what else is proposed. IP infusion is a given with Iger but at least there will be a modest overall increase in park capacity. The theme suggests a mysterious but romantic jungle environment and DAK is jungle so that ticks a spreadsheet box too.

As things stand I think the new build will be well received apart from having paid fastpass (Which in itself is a huge incentive to build it)

Last edited:

doctornick

Of course. Tropical Americas is certainly a net gain even without a new-build e-ticket.

But that’s a low bar. It would still be disappointing without a new-build e-ticket.

I get the "addition by subtraction" aspect with removing Dinorama and agree - but I do lament losing the Boneyard as well as the general loss of dinosaurs in that park.

Marc Davis Fan

Easily? I mean, it's for sure up there... but you need to at least have parks like Phantasialand and Efteling in the conversation... Busch Gardens Williamsburg as well if natural beauty is your thing...

Disneyland Paris is the most beautiful theme park I've ever been to, by far (I find it to beat DisneySea by a wide margin in the "beauty" category, even though DisneySea is more "grand").

WorldExplorer

Any idea when we could expect work to actually start and when Dino Land will close? I'm thinking late September early October. They still have to build the Imagineering trailers.

They're still training people in T-Spin, Restaurant O'saurus, and Chester and Hester's, for what it's worth.

My wishlist is:
- Rama lasts until the days get shorter so I can have some night time in there. Or they would just keep their darned theme park opened past six o'clock but that's not going to happen.
- Boneyard lasts until February.
- Whatever chunk that lasts into the holiday season lets us keep the wacky music loop.

All in all, though, I hope they give us a definitive date before it happens and don't just suddenly shut it. I want to know my last day.

Haymarket2008

Thank you. Personally I’d prefer to keep a refurbished Dinosaur as well as what else is proposed. IP infusion is a given with Iger but at least there will be a modest overall increase in park capacity. The theme suggests a mysterious but romantic jungle environment and DAK is jungle so that ticks a spreadsheet box too.

As things stand I think the new build will be well received apart from having paid fastpass (Which in itself is a huge incentive to build it)

Great to hear. The use of “mystery” and depth in current domestic theme park design has been….wanting. Something Harambe and Anandapur excel at. It seems like it will be a worthy sibling to the other DAK lands.

TrainsOfDisney

Of course. Tropical Americas is certainly a net gain even without a new-build e-ticket.
I don’t disagree - the model and details that we have seen look like this new land will go really well with the rest of the park. I’m not sure if Joe was consulted on this or not, but it feels like he was. Compared to all of the other expansions (tron, Epcot, cars at mk) this looks like a completely natural fit.

My only side note is - there was a time that Dino-Rama wasn’t too bad - the carnival games and rides set the scene but the entire land when it was properly staffed with jugglers, lucky the Dino, etc. worked pretty well.

If we could have gotten an all ages dinosaur fun house style dark ride to replace primeval whirl and some better carnival games that felt more on brand - the land had some lovely potential as being very fun and quirky.

Quietmouse

I don’t disagree - the model and details that we have seen look like this new land will go really well with the rest of the park. I’m not sure if Joe was consulted on this or not, but it feels like he was. Compared to all of the other expansions (tron, Epcot, cars at mk) this looks like a completely natural fit.

My only side note is - there was a time that Dino-Rama wasn’t too bad - the carnival games and rides set the scene but the entire land when it was properly staffed with jugglers, lucky the Dino, etc. worked pretty well.

If we could have gotten an all ages dinosaur fun house style dark ride to replace primeval whirl and some better carnival games that felt more on brand - the land had some lovely potential as being very fun and quirky.

I think if they got rid of the cracked parking lot and made it artificial turf with more trees and maybe live music from a band it would have been more approachable.

The church style carnival on a parking lot just wasn’t a good look.

I was thinking if they had a second dark ride attraction during that time that played into the characters or Chester and Hester and the whole backstory of why there is a giant carnival portrayed thru a dark ride then maybe the theming would have been better understood.

TrainsOfDisney

I was thinking if they had a second dark ride attraction during that time that played into the characters or Chester and Hester and the whole backstory of why there is a giant carnival
Or citizens of Hollywood style Chester and Hester Characters. They did that a little bit with Lucky the Dino - and later with a modified version of Flights of Wonder cast members.

WorldExplorer

Cornivores (popcorn stand in the middle of Rama) was closed today. Marni might have been literal; might have stopped operating yesterday.

I do hope we get a final holiday season. The decor in dinoland is so much fun.

The lightup caroling dinosaurs they put on top of Donalds' meet area is possibly my favorite piece of Christmas decor on property. It just makes me really happy for some reason.

What I don't see anyone bringing up is Dino-Bash; I'm hoping a desire to keep the meets running as long as possible leads to them preserving a chunk of Route 498 and the Cretacous Trail until the second phase of closing, which would mean more decorated areas.

Or citizens of Hollywood style Chester and Hester Characters. They did that a little bit with Lucky the Dino - and later with a modified version of Flights of Wonder cast members.

Ooh, I've never heard of this modified Flights of Wonder thing; what was that? Was it related to Chester and Hester's meetable versions? The fact that I can't find any images of them drives me nuts.

And I'm surprised they never had a Seeker, especially since they tried out a ton of different characters for the area. Just a dude wandering around going "have you seen a dinosaur? What? No, haha, no, just kidding, of course not, there are no more dinosaurs, uh I...gotta go..." would be really funny and could have gone anywhere in the land.

Last edited:

TrainsOfDisney

Ooh, I've never heard of this modified Flights of Wonder thing; what was that? Was it related to Chester and Hester's meetable versions?
It was “Guano Joe” from the bird show and one of the bird handlers presenting birds related to dinosaurs and similar characteristics. I only saw it one time, not sure how long it lasted. It was like a street show type thing.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Permits filed for three trailers behind Dinosaur.

621 MARINA AL(OPERATIONS TR R364) - Buena Vista Construction Company - Provide labor, material and/or electrical for construction
504 DINOLAND DR(DINOLAND OPERATIONS TR W164) - Buena Vista Construction Company - Provide labor, material and/or electrical for construction
502 DINOLAND DR(DINOLAND SHOW QUALITY TR W183) - Buena Vista Construction Company - Provide labor, material and/or electrical for construction

1724976478261.png

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom