News 'Encanto' and 'Indiana Jones'-themed experiences at Animal Kingdom

KDM31091

Often lost in discussions of Disney's stagnation over the last decade or so is this fact... their growth eras have been fueled not by investment alone but by an ability to quickly react and adjust. These changes - even when small - added a dynamic of freshness to the park... often with characters from films yet-to-be-released being featured in launch parades, etc. Multi-planar strategies like this create circular growth: park activities and consumer products (Happy Meal toys!) supporting the success of the film, which then drives people back to the parks and shops.

Now, they spend 3 years teasing Blue Sky versions of what they're thinking of before finally sharing a concept, with several years left to value engineer and build it before finally opening.

Meanwhile our "new" parade is 10 years old and running as a gutted shell of what it once was.
Even the very minor “attraction” coming to MK, the Smellephants, was first announced a year ago and is just now about to actually open.

ToTBellHop

Nothing officially. Personally, if they’re waiting until D23 to announce, I can’t see them closing it after that, and losing a chunk of the park ahead of the holidays. So in my opinion it will close in early 2025 but again, just a guess
Presumably they need the WDI trailers and parking approved and built beforehand, so that’s probably accurate. They could start on Encanto earlier if they wish since it should have the longest build time. Work is budgeted during FY 25. This year,
1713615736610.jpeg

mattpeto

Presumably they need the WDI trailers and parking approved and built beforehand, so that’s probably accurate. They could start on Encanto earlier if they wish since it should have the longest build time. Work is budgeted during FY 25. This year,
View attachment 780474
I wonder where Zootopia at ToL plans come into play with all of this. It will be interesting if they take down It's Tough to be a Bug, Dinoland and Dinosaur at the same time.

mattpeto

Often lost in discussions of Disney's stagnation over the last decade or so is this fact... their growth eras have been fueled not by investment alone but by an ability to quickly react and adjust. These changes - even when small - added a dynamic of freshness to the park... often with characters from films yet-to-be-released being featured in launch parades, etc. Multi-planar strategies like this create circular growth: park activities and consumer products (Happy Meal toys!) supporting the success of the film, which then drives people back to the parks and shops.

Now, they spend 3 years teasing Blue Sky versions of what they're thinking of before finally sharing a concept, with several years left to value engineer and build it before finally opening.

Meanwhile our "new" parade is 10 years old and running as a gutted shell of what it once was.

If I had a crystal ball, I think this will be last the full year of FoF.

The next parade should mimic Magic Happens, that can occur during the day and at night.

flyerjab

I'm guessing here, but it seems like he's getting passed partial info without context. The blanks he's filling in are where he's so very wrong.

FWIW, this art isn't terribly old. But it's clear the figures were intentionally obscured for the most part, as that work was still underway.
I’ll just say I’m glad you are on here. I was giving that kid way too much praise until a certain penguin smacked some sense into me.

With Martin having lost a bit of interest in WDW, I really look forward to your posts.

Magicart87

HOUSE OF MAGIC
Premium Member
I wonder where Zootopia at ToL plans come into play with all of this. It will be interesting if they take down It's Tough to be a Bug, Dinoland and Dinosaur at the same time.
Instead of the odd placemaking Zootopia would bring to the Tree of Life what if the IP jumped to Hollywood Studios?

Would you be in favor of it coming in as a new addition, like a land :shudders: or taking over an existing attraction? (Star Tours, Beauty and the Beast Live on Stage, etc.)

I remain ever hopeful there's an internal push to quash ALL talks of Zootopia in DAK with Rohde heading the charge, however unlikely. I just really dislike it for DAK. Can't say that enough. If the best they can do is a show inside a tree then I have some serious questions for Imagineering and TDO in general. On the other hand, it's perhaps the lesser of the two evils. But if it were to go elsewhere, I feel like Hollywood Studios would be the better dumping ground. Can it just not happen at all? Is that still on the table?

The Leader of the Club

Instead of the odd placemaking Zootopia would bring to the Tree of Life what if the IP jumped to Hollywood Studios?

Would you be in favor of it coming in as a new addition, like a land :shudders: or taking over an existing attraction? (Star Tours, Beauty and the Beast Live on Stage, etc.)

I remain ever hopeful there's an internal push to quash ALL talks of Zootopia in DAK with Rohde heading the charge, however unlikely. I just really dislike it for DAK. Can't say that enough. If the best they can do is a show inside a tree then I have some serious questions for Imagineering and TDO in general. On the other hand, it's perhaps the lesser of the two evils. But if it were to go elsewhere, I feel like Hollywood Studios would be the better dumping ground. Can it just not happen at all? Is that still on the table?
The problem with DHS is that it already has 2 trackless dark rides that are very similar to the one in Shanghai. They would need to design a brand new attraction, which kinda defeats the purpose of cloning the land.

The Leader of the Club

I too hope zootopia doesn’t happen at least not in the tree of life. The bugs are a perfect fit and it’s not like you need knowledge of the IP to enjoy the show.
The problem is that the majority of guests don’t enjoy the show. They’re either terrified or confused. It needs to be replaced.

I’d prefer to see Bambi or Pocahontas in that space over Zootopia, but I know Disney tries its hardest not to touch anything created before Iger’s tenure.

HMF

The problem is that the majority of guests don’t enjoy the show. They’re either terrified or confused. It needs to be replaced.

I’d prefer to see Bambi or Pocahontas in that space over Zootopia, but I know Disney tries its hardest not to touch anything created before Iger’s tenure.
Not to mention. If I were Disney, I would avoid Pocahontas like the plague, considering it's fictionalization of history

doctornick

They are refurbing the Mickey shorts theater at DHS… would be a nice place to put a Zootopia show if they wanted

Magicart87

HOUSE OF MAGIC
Premium Member
They are refurbing the Mickey shorts theater at DHS… would be a nice place to put a Zootopia show if they wanted
Yes it would. This is a perfect idea! Easy retrofit with enough space for a M&G and shop.
This is such a waste of space, but I genuinely don't know what you put in here. Movie previews? At least that would allow them to leave One Man's Dream alone.
A furries film festival. lol
Let’s get a real attraction in here. Something small like Sounds Dangerous would be perfect, I enjoyed that a lot as a kid
That would be fun to incorporate. Do the seats currently feature a binaural speaker system? I haven't set foot in there since the days of Sounds Dangerous. Always seemed a waste of a building and time on our visits.

Quick someone get Mickey on the phone! Let's get this hail mary pitch a-rolling!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom