EMV Rental

shelbysmom

Original Poster
I am basically a lurker here, but I would really like everyone's opinion.

My family and I are scheduled to be in Disney Nov 26th - Dec 2. I am currently recovering from an illness and I have been sick for over 3 weeks. I am currently unsure if my doctor will advse going, but I really don;t want to miss the trip.

My husband suggested renting an EMV - because my energy may not be up to walking in the parks everyday. Should I do that? How hard are they to drive? Do you need a doctor note to rent them?

Thanks in an advance for your advice.

Shelbysmom

slappy magoo

I do think that, in order to rent an EMV, you'll need a doctor's note. I suspect that, sadly, many people try to rent EMVs or wheelchairs hoping it'll give them a Sympathy Fastpass to the front of any lines (plenty of threads abound on that topic here). Having a doctor's note would take any worry about being eligible to rent any assitance vehicle.

And in order to cut down on catty comments from the Peanut Brigade (who will assume that if you're not wearing a cast or braces or walk like Paris Hilton after a week in Hedonism you must be "faking it") see if your doctor will give you a fake lightweight cast as well :D

Krupknick

You do not need a RX for a scooter, they are very easy to drive and are available from several company's in the Orlando area. I have used Care Medical several times in the past and recommend them due to there great customer service pick up and delivery to any Disney Resort.:)

Eyorefan

My advise to you is go and have a great time!

I went last year when I was still under going chemo treatments. The best thing we did was to stay onsite so that we could easily go back to our hotel during the day. It was diffenitly not an intense trip. I think one day I only went on one ride, but it was still awesome. :animwink:

I didn't rent one of the scooters because I was afraid of running into people.

maggiegrace1

You do not need a Doctors note to get one.
I suggest if you think it would be easier for you to have one then get one.It will make it better for you and the others on your trip and you will enjoy it more.They are not hard to drive at all and I think they have a speed control thing on it.
I hope you do what it takes to enjoy your trip.:)

lisbetgabrielle

You do not need a doctor's note the rent a scooter. I suggest you rent offsite. It may be quite busy. REnting offsite assures you have the scooter when you need it. It can be quite a walk to the park from the buses or parking so it may need it before you even enter the parks.

luvorlando

You don't need a doctor's note or Rx to rent an ECV. You can rent them at the entrance to each park, just as you could rent a wheelchair if you wanted. The big drawback to renting from Disney is that you have to return it when you leave that park. You cannot take it to the bus, monorail, boat, or to your hotel. If you are park hopping, you risk there not being one available at the next park.

If you rent one from an off-site rental company, such as Walker Mobility, they'll deliver it to your hotel, and you can use it 24/7.

They are very easy to drive. Just be careful and especially aware of your surroundings.

People tend to make a fuss about ECV drivers, just like they do strollers, for running into them. But, think about it, how many times have you been just walking around and bumped into someone? It happens!

My mother rented one in April due to a bad knee. No doctor's note was needed. As long as you have 40 dollars they will rent it to you. Plus you get preferred loading at the rides and a quicker wait time. Almost worth the $40!!

rhodehogg

My mother who has parkinsons went in September with our family. She used the emv the first two days. She had a hard time not runing into people(maybe her disease affected her control). Anyway, we had three able men who pushed her around the last four days and for her that seemed to work easier. She didnt feel the stress of maybe running into people accidentally. She only had one day that she had to walk around for a short time because there were not any wheelchairs after we park hopped. It worked out well for her - we just had to adjust to her specific needs.

shelbysmom

Original Poster
Thanks

Thanks everyone for your help. I am hoping that my energy is up by then, but this virus that I had causes extreme fatigue. We always take breaks during the day by going back to the hotel and naps are the most important!

I really appreciate your advice.

ann

rcapolete

You don't need a doctor's note or Rx to rent an ECV. You can rent them at the entrance to each park, just as you could rent a wheelchair if you wanted. The big drawback to renting from Disney is that you have to return it when you leave that park. You cannot take it to the bus, monorail, boat, or to your hotel. If you are park hopping, you risk there not being one available at the next park.

If you rent one from an off-site rental company, such as Walker Mobility, they'll deliver it to your hotel, and you can use it 24/7.

They are very easy to drive. Just be careful and especially aware of your surroundings.

People tend to make a fuss about ECV drivers, just like they do strollers, for running into them. But, think about it, how many times have you been just walking around and bumped into someone? It happens!

the only difference is that when you bump into a person while walking they is normally verly light contact. in the scooter there can be some server injuries if yiu don't know how to operate safely. in May my ds (2 1/2 yrs old) was knock down and almost dragged by a scooter becuase the guy was driving way to fast in the lobby and not paying attention. Split my son's lip open and made him scared the rest of the week whenever he saw a scooter, so please if you rent one be extremely careful because it is not like bumping into someone when walking.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom