EMH- Avoid parks???

stace1214

My DH and I are going to WDW Aug 21st to 26th... I keep reading that the parks with EMH should be avoided. Since we're staying at POFQ, I planned that we would take advantage of an extra hour in the AM and three in the PM. Now I'm a little concerned that it's going to be super crowded, especially in the evening. What do you think? In your experience, is it better to avoid the EMH parks? Thanks!!:wave:

stevediesel

I've read this too, The Unofficial Guide makes a point to even avoid the park that is hosting EMH that morning or night, as most resort quests will be going to that park that day. This will be my first time staying on-site this September, so I'm curious as to what people think as well.

Upvote 0

Mick G.

My experience with EMH differs. We've had a couple of nice mornings in the MK, but the park did tend to fill up quickly. But the mornings we went to Epcot and DHS, it was silly. The line for SSE was crazy long, and since that, we've made it a point to avoid the EMH park in the AM, and get to another park right at opening time.

Can't help you on the evenings. Our kids get tired and cranky too early. Or was that me...?

Mick

Upvote 0

MousDad

The philosophy behind it is that whichever park has EMH will have the regular daily crowd plus a big chunk of the 30,000+ resort guests. This, in turn, will make it the most crowded of the 4 parks on that particular day.

Personally, I always avoid EMH parks and have been pretty successful at avoiding big crowds, even last week.

It's not necessarily saying that resort guest should avoid EMH, as obviously the EMH itself will be great. It's more of a reflection of general crowd conditions for the park day as a whole.

The way I view it is, if you're a non-resort guest or are not park hopping, avoiding EMH parks is a necessity. If you are a resort guest or will be hopping, it's not that big of an issue.

Upvote 0

tigsmom

We go to them. In the morning you can get a lot done before the gates open to the public. You can then move on to the less popular things and be done by lunch. You can then relax and enjoy the park, switch parks (with a hopper option) or head out to the hotel for a swim break (which in August you will more than likely want).
The evening EMH are nice because you can get on to some of the more popular rides without too much wait. The only way we ever got into FoLK was during EMH at SK because the wait was always too long. We love AK at night, the park takes on a very different atmosphere.

If you plan your day properly you can take advantage of EMH, but remember that there will be times when it is still very crowded...it's really all up to you.
I read the books for info, but I make up my own mind about things.

Upvote 0

CAPTAIN HOOK

There's two ways of looking at this problem. If all Resort guests decide to visit the EMH (am) park plus non-resort guests arrive at park opening then, yes, it will be busy.
On the other hand, if a good percentage of resort guests stay away (thinking it will be busy like everyone else) then you're in for a quiet day.
My advice - you've got the privelege - use it. If it gets too busy then hop (assuming you've got the Hop option on your tickets)

As for the evening EMH then again it will be busy as Resort guests head for the late park hours. If its too busy - leave and hit DTD or return to your resort

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
What I have experienced is that if you can get to an early EMH about 1/2 hour before the park opens (7:30 AM) you will have your run of the park for a good hour or two. I found that the majority of people do not want to get up at 6:00 AM when they are on vacation. Do not stop to smell the roses during that time instead hit attractions commando style. You will be able to do entire sections of the parks in a short amount of time. Once the park starts to fill up slow things down a bit, go to a show, eat, shop or do some of the less popular attractions that have a short wait.

Late EMH can be hit or miss. I been to late EMH with both deserted parks and packed parks. One park that I would definitely take advantage of a late EMH at is AK even if you do nothing but walk around and take in the ambiance. AK has an entirely feel at night.

Upvote 0

DisneyJoe

We only do morning EMH because we are early risers and can get to the morning EMH park as soon as they open, so we can get a LOT done in that first hour. We also tend to park hop after taking an afternoon rest.

We haven't yet been to an evening EMH so I can't comment there.

Upvote 0

hokielutz

My experience with EMH is similar to Tigsmom.

If you are staying on-property:
AM: Get to the park before EMH opens. View the top attractions first before the general public is let in. Then you can hit some of the middle-road attractions and sites, but it would be best to call it a day after lunch and either head back to the hotel to rest up or Hop to another park. It will just get too crowded a few hours after the GP is allowed in.

PM: The benefit for this really only comes when there is about an hour left before the late closing. Attractions will still have a sizable queues until 45 min before closing. This is the time you could get multiple go's on Splash Mtn, and other attractions. But the park will be really congested all afternoon as you have the GP and a large percentage of the on-property guests at that one park.

If you are staying off-property:
Do avoid the park in question for that day. The only exception is if you want to see an evening show or parade. The crowd doesn't matter at that point.

Upvote 0

DisneyMusician2

Late EMH at MK is the best, especially during the holiday seasons when the park is open until 2 or 3 in the morning. You can get a ridiculous amount done, and MK has a weird feel at that time of night!

Upvote 0

hokielutz

Late EMH can be hit or miss. I been to late EMH with both deserted parks and packed parks. One park that I would definitely take advantage of a late EMH at is AK even if you do nothing but walk around and take in the ambiance. AK has an entirely feel at night.

Yes Yes.... absolutely 100% agree. Kali, EE, and the Safari tour are a must in the late evening. Also its a good chance to get some rare evening pictures of the ambiance of the park. Its a shame the resort is not open more often at night.

Upvote 0

JustPlainBill

We didn't do morning EMH, simply because we can't get the kids moving early enough, we have done evening EMH. We were worried as well about what the guidebooks said about the crowds being "horrendous" during the days EMH was going on. I didn't think the crowds were all that bad, but it was early June. I'm going this year at the height of summer, so I'll see if there's a difference, I'm sure.

Upvote 0
We usually take advantage of the EMH. Its just you can do so much in that time before regular park guests arrive. I didnt notice that it was any busier during the day, but we go in the beginning of November and crowds are slow that time of year anyways.

Upvote 0

NewfieFan

I had the same question too and I really can't give you an answer. I can tell you though what it was like in the middle of June which I believe is busier than the end of Aug. EMH AM were great (IMO), we accomplished a lot in that one hour and it wasn't that hot yet (another bonus). We only went to two EMH PM and those were both at the MK. The park was packed!!! But we were more there for the atmosphere than to ride rides at this point so we didn't mind the crowds!

Now I'm planning a trip for this Sept. and I've taken "their" (the books, folks on this forum, etc.) advice and I'm going to avoid EMH for the most part! A lot of people have told me that you can accomplish just as much in the first hour if you go to another park instead (non EMH AM) and be there for opening. Plus this way we won't have to be up that early (not that I mind getting up early but our kids are sleepers in the morning and it really disrupts their schedule getting them up so early). I hope I'm doing the right thing!?! I am taking advantage of a couple EMH PM though, but again this is more for the atmosphere then to hit rides so if it turns out to be busy we won't really mind!

I haven't really given you any advice but that's my take on it at the moment!?!

Upvote 0

YankeeMouse

We have annual passes and make the Disney trip about 4 times a year. We have a lot of experience at this, and almost always avoid the EMH. For example, if DHS had late EMH, the next morning that is where we go. Have been told by cast members that the morning after the late EMH is the least crowded. Occasionally, we will go to MK late night, but only to soak up the ambience if we are leaving the next morning, and you've got to get there for probably only the last 2 hours, when it is super late, like midnight to 2 a.m. If we go at night, we don't plan on doing any of the attractions. Early EMH means you head for your first ride, get a fastpass for the next one, and get out and move to another park!

Upvote 0

stevediesel

The only day I am using the EMH is on Sat Sept. 20th @ the Studios. I already have ADR & also the Fantasmic package. So I'll keep my fingers crossed that the crowds are low.

Upvote 0

Theresonly1

I always take avantage of the EMH. I don't think they are too crowded. Everyone goes to what is important to them. The advantage to Epcot is..Go to soarin and ride with little wait time then get your FP so you can do it again later without the super long wait.
We spent our hour at MK getting autographs, I saw alot of charaters I had never seen....I think we ended up with 23 that morning.
AK the safari is always my first stop get there before it gets too hot and you will see more animals (usually)
MGM I head straight for TOT & RNR (of course I think I could just do those all day and be happy)
the night time hours are fun because teh crowd is usually lighter. If you are without kids,or they are not wiped out, definately take advantage of Fantasyland, you will appreciate the short lines when you see the wait times in the daytime.
Whatever you decide, just enjoy yourself and have a great time.

Upvote 0

yankspy

I would take advantage of them simply because you are going at the end of August and it will be extremely hot. It will be nice to just walk around when it is cooler. MK and Epcot are great for the evening hours. As others have said, the crowds tend to thin out during the last hour or so. You would be surprised at how much you can get done in that hour.

Upvote 0
We tend to not use morning EMH as we can't really get up that early and function the entire day, but we use EMH a lot. One thing we do is go to a park that has no EMH during the day, and then hop over to the EMH park only about an hour before normal closing. That way we avoid the afternoon crowds at that park, and really are only there with the resort guests, not the GP.

Upvote 0

KaliSplash

What Master Yoda said.

If you actually get up and are AT the park as EMH begins (earlier is better), you can accomplish a great deal. Then you're hitting the less popular but still good attractions as people pour in and head for the biggies. Then you can leave the park around lunchtime and either return after an afternoon break, or change parks.

As to the evenings, I also concur. I've been there when it's been mobbed (Epcot and DHS in particular) and at other times when it's not (especially MK and AK.

And if you've never been to AK at night, you definitely should visit even if you just walk around. The darkness and lighting creates an other-worldly effect.

The key to early EMH is to be there NO later than opening. If you only get there 20 minutes before it opens to the public, you're going to get 1 ride out of it.

Of course, you can only burn the candle at both ends for about 3 days in a row before you have to sleep in one morning.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom