Electrical Water Pageant music question

KentB3

Original Poster
I recently got a copy of the 1972 Disney theatrical featurette, The Magic of Disney World, special thanks to CThaddeus from WDWMagic! :D :wave: :sohappy: :sohappy: :animwink:

This film took movie goers on a tour of the recently-opened Walt Disney World resort, focusing almost entirely on the Magic Kingdom, since it obviously was the only theme park open in WDW at the time. Towards the end, it covered other activities outside the park offered then; such as golf, the dinner show at Top of the World (located on top of the Contemporary where California Grill is now), a character campfire at Fort Wilderness, and the Electrical Water Pageant. Oddly enough, I noticed that the music playing during the EWP was the VERY SAME used in the Main Street Electrical Parade, Baroque Hoedown by Jean Jacques Perrey and Gershon Kingsley! This is contrary to what I have read/heard about the Electrical Water Pageant's music. A couple of people have told me that the EWP used synthesizer music similar to MSEP's music, not the same theme song, and AllEarsNet.com describes the EWP's music as "an aquatic parade set to Disney (including "Under the Sea," and the crocodile's theme song from the film Peter Pan) and other music."

Were these sources wrong, or is there a possibility that the Electrical Water Pageant used Baroque Hoedown originally, then shifted to an original musical score later on? :confused:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
There are quite a few vids out there :D

Here is the strange part - Baroque Hoedown was first used in the EWP 26 days after WDW opened. The MSEP premiered with a near identical score (though reworked) in Anaheim in June the following year.

KentB3

Original Poster
marni1971 said:
There are quite a few vids out there :D

Here is the strange part - Baroque Hoedown was first used in the EWP 26 days after WDW opened. The MSEP premiered with a near identical score (though reworked) in Anaheim in June the following year.

Very interesting point! Would you or anyone else here have any idea when EWP changed its music from Baroque Hoedown to an original musical theme?

KentB3

Original Poster
KentB3 said:
Very interesting point! Would you or anyone else here have any idea when EWP changed its music from Baroque Hoedown to an original musical theme?

Anyone have a clue out there? :confused: Just wondering! :animwink:

justducky78

I just asked my husband, who has been going to WDW since he was 4 or 5 years old (they stayed every year at the Contemporary and watched it from their balcony) and swears it's never been the music from the mainstreet parades - he always remembers it as it is now, with some small additions.

It's always possible, though, that the parade originally started out with different music. What year did it begin? My husband was first there (age 4ish) in 1976 so it's possible the music was different before then. His parents remember it as it is now, also.

Hmmm...interesting question, though - and I'd love to see that video!

justducky78

I just read an article on intercot about "the water parade being so well received that they decided to create the mainstreet electrical parade" so that answers the question...which came first?!

Ariellen

I don't remember hearing Baroque Hoedown in the EWP! Cool!

My dad video taped the EWP from our room in the Contemporary on our family's 1989 trip and I remember the main music being from Handel's "Water Music." Does anyone else remember seeing/hearing this version? I'll have to watch that trip's video again and write down all the music from the Pageant. :)

Ciciwoowoo

Ariellen said:
I don't remember hearing Baroque Hoedown in the EWP! Cool!

My dad video taped the EWP from our room in the Contemporary on our family's 1989 trip and I remember the main music being from Handel's "Water Music." Does anyone else remember seeing/hearing this version? I'll have to watch that trip's video again and write down all the music from the Pageant. :)

I remember Handel's Water Music well! In fact, I honestly didn't know what it was called, I just kept describing it as the Water Parade music to my fiancee when we were picking out songs for our wedding. (I ended up using it for my recessional)

If you go to www.uabmagic.com, you can listen to the EWP music there. (My favorite site, btw)

Ariellen

Ciciwoowoo said:
In fact, I honestly didn't know what it was called, I just kept describing it as the Water Parade music to my fiancee when we were picking out songs for our wedding. (I ended up using it for my recessional)

If you go to www.uabmagic.com, you can listen to the EWP music there. (My favorite site, btw)

Haha, I play flute, and I played "Water Music" for a wedding recessional once. I kept thinking of EWP music, and when I was at home practicing, my dad said "I feel like I'm on the balcony of our room at the Contemporary!"

Thanks for the link, too!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom