Eisner

HongKongFu

“Disneyland is a work of love. We didn’t go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money.” - Walt Disney

“Money doesn’t excite me, my ideas excite me.” - Walt Disney

"We don't make movies to make money, we make money to make more movies." - Walt Disney.

If indeed those are honest words, straight from his heart and not some marketing/image driven scheme, then I love it.
Absolutely beautiful and inspiring.

“Disneyland is a work of love. We didn’t go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money.” - Walt Disney

"We don't make movies to make money, we make money to make more movies." - Walt Disney.

Stop making assumptions and do some research, okay?

I also blindly believe everything someone in the media tells me.

Goofyernmost

In reference to those two quotes. I'm sure that he didn't get all puffed up about the money, however, one would have to ask themselves how excited he would have been if his "ideas" didn't make money. That couples with the second quote that basically says the same thing in two different ways. If one doesn't make money making movies they will no longer make movies. Reality always brings it together. Sure he enjoyed making movies, but, it would be a moot point if he didn't have the money to make more. He did things the way he did because at the time quality is what made him different than everyone else

I've done my research not only on Walt but also on human nature and PR. What in the hell would you expect him to say. 'Disneyland is a way of making money so I can make more movies and although I love the concept, if this fails I will drop in like a hot potato, love or not'. Everything that Walt did he "loved" doing. Everything Walt said in public was carefully worded and, for the most part scripted, to give him that persona that we all admired.

Unless you have had long term personal contact with Walt, you are making as many assumptions as I am. Do some research on what makes a powerful man powerful. It isn't all rainbows and unicorns.

That doesn't mean to say that I don't appreciate his talent and what he gave to the world. The world or at least southern California and Central Florida would be much sadder places to be without his creativity, willingness to take chances and never ending belief in himself. I know his creations have brought a lot of happiness to me and my family. I know of no other locations that make me feel as good as going to a Disney Park, but I like to pepper that with a little reality. Knowing that Walt wasn't all sweetness and light makes me appreciate him and his legacy a whole lot more.

Shouldigo12

Someone's actions don't have to be driven soley by either money or passion. It's completely possible Walt made movies and built parks not only because he had a real love for it, but because he knew it could make him very wealthy.

Animaniac93-98

Someone's actions don't have to be driven soley by either money or passion. It's completely possible Walt made movies and built parks not only because he had a real love for it, but because he knew it could make him very wealthy.

If Walt wanted to make a lot of money, there certainly were easier ways to do so than building Disneyland; a park that was notoriously difficult to secure funding for and which industry experts said would not succeed.

Same with the movies. His immediate follow up to Snow White was Pinocchio and Fantasia, both of which were more expensive to make and the latter of which was a totally unproven concept that never turned a profit in his lifetime. He could have made Snow White 2 and 3 instead.

Shouldigo12

If Walt wanted to make a lot of money, there certainly were easier ways to do so than building Disneyland; a park that was notoriously difficult to secure funding for and which industry experts said would not succeed.

Same with the movies. His immediate follow up to Snow White was Pinocchio and Fantasia, both of which were more expensive to make and the latter of which was a totally unproven concept that never turned a profit in his lifetime. He could have made Snow White 2 and 3 instead.
And like I said, people don't have to be driven by exclusively money or passion. I'm sure he did some projects to make money and did some projects because he was passionate about them. Walt was a very creative man who clearly loved what he did, but he was also human. I would be very surprised if he never made any decisions based off of the money he could make from it.

Goofyernmost

And like I said, people don't have to be driven by exclusively money or passion. I'm sure he did some projects to make money and did some projects because he was passionate about them. Walt was a very creative man who clearly loved what he did, but he was also human. I would be very surprised if he never made any decisions based off of the money he could make from it.
Everybody needs to understand that in order to continue projects he was passionate about it had to have money. He might have not been motivated because of the money, but he certainly wouldn't have been able to pursue without it, so it had to come into the thought process. He was creative and he was a gambler in that he would risk money creating what he wanted, but had they failed the name Walt Disney wouldn't be much more then a footnote in history. He succeeded more then he failed, but all of it depended on the inflow of money. He was also human, but believed in himself enough to take huge risks. Fantasia was a giant failure but, he had not risked every nickle on it. Yet, it still cause a lot of problems for awhile.

Last edited:

chriskbrown

Eisner is the one who transformed Disney into the engine it is today. the animation studio got back on its footing, the parks and things like DVC all came on Eisner's watch. We can argue all day about the Parks being better in x year than today, but we are seeing incredible investment across all parks these days. Isner realized in today's world its all about owning IP. One could argue that Marvel for $4 billion is a great deal to this day. One day we will look back at this time in Disney with incredible fondness as Disney emerges as an unprecedented company - incredible entertainment reach

lazyboy97o

Eisner is the one who transformed Disney into the engine it is today. the animation studio got back on its footing, the parks and things like DVC all came on Eisner's watch. We can argue all day about the Parks being better in x year than today, but we are seeing incredible investment across all parks these days. Isner realized in today's world its all about owning IP. One could argue that Marvel for $4 billion is a great deal to this day. One day we will look back at this time in Disney with incredible fondness as Disney emerges as an unprecedented company - incredible entertainment reach
Do you even know who is who that you are talking about?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
This is a fantastic thread...

I think the one thing I have to point out that Eisner...much more so than Iger...knew that the core clientele is what sustained Disney for the entire 20th century. You have to stoke the fire in the loyal fanbase because they are your guard against “the market”

...that is a huge contrast as opposed to what has transpired these last 10+ years.

Jedi Stitch

I am pretty certain that Eisner bringing in similar attractions that the competitors had, I would have to say made the DisCo more competitive. He said it simply, Disney is not the only thing to see in the state they are in. He recognized that people what to see the other attractions so he brought them to Disney. So in Florida, instead of going to Bush Gardens, you have DAK. Instead of UNI you go to Hollywood studios. Coming from the UNI world, he had a background for that.
Frank Wells as I understand was his sounding board. At least, if it was a bad or ugly idea. Like many cooperate america companies CEOs like to surround themselves with yes men. When the you are the CEO and you "have to be right" even though you are not always right, you have to have someone counter balance you to let you know when you are wrong. Most people will say the original DCA was a flop, because Eisner stayed the course. DAK brought guests in, DHS brought guests in, so why wouldn't he think lighting would strike again. It is not just a counterbalance, you still need someone with experience to say which direction is a better one to take.
The real question who would stand there and recommend a billion dollar idea is bad, and which one is right?

eliza61nyc

This is a fantastic thread...

I think the one thing I have to point out that Eisner...much more so than Iger...knew that the core clientele is what sustained Disney for the entire 20th century. You have to stoke the fire in the loyal fanbase because they are your guard against “the market”

...that is a huge contrast as opposed to what has transpired these last 10+ years.
so let me ask you Sir, how has this effected the parks? I've heard this guard the loyal fanbase for a number of years and it seems like ticking you guys off really has not had any negative results. I mean we've had many a folks here flat out say there are tons of stuff they hate and then in the very next breathe say they are returning.
I keep hearing how they are the supposed insurance against the market yet the market seems to be chugging along fine. I really can't see why the core clientele is at all important. you guys are so replaceable as disney is proving.
Of course there is the argument that when the economy goes south, then armaggedon will who knows when that will happen.
Has the decline in the stuff you guys complain about led to a direct decline in profitability?

I know folks don't like Iger because of the directions of the parks but I wonder in the realm of CEO's would loyal fanbase take on as much weight as loyal stockholder.

Last edited:

Disstevefan1

For everyone who has seen the quality go down while the costs go up at WDW and have stopped visiting , there are many more families with wallets open to feed the mouse.

I see no end to this. And as long as it’s working, Disney will keep doing it. I do not look forward to the huge price increase after the renovations in EPCOT are done!

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
so let me ask you Sir, how has this effected the parks? I've heard this guard the loyal fanbase for a number of years and it seems like ticking you guys off really has not had any negative results. I mean we've had many a folks here flat out say there are tons of stuff they hate and then in the very next breathe say they are returning.
I keep hearing how they are the supposed insurance against the market yet the market seems to be chugging along fine. I really can't see why the core clientele is at all important. you guys are so replaceable as disney is proving.
Of course there is the argument that when the economy goes south, then armaggedon will who knows when that will happen.
Has the decline in the stuff you guys complain about led to a direct decline in profitability?

I know folks don't like Iger because of the directions of the parks but I wonder in the realm of CEO's would loyal fanbase take on as much weight as loyal stockholder.
It affects the parks in a massive way during down economic times even when they DID hedge and not tick people off.

By attacking the safety net, it’s near impossible to be able to protect the parks from even greater strife.
For everyone who has seen the quality go down while the costs go up at WDW and have stopped visiting , there are many more families with wallets open to feed the mouse.

I see no end to this. And as long as it’s working, Disney will keep doing it. I do not look forward to the huge price increase after the renovations in EPCOT are done!
The end is a stock market decline/crash. Which is 100% certain to happen.

We just don’t know the date. Most of the larger economic countries are already in recession.

When that comes stateside - and it’s a miracle it hasn’t in funny money times already - Disney will lose half their stock value (minimum) and the parks will get hammered.

Especially outside of the DVC safety blanket in Florida.

A 30% coupon isn’t gonna cut it. I’ve said this before...I’ll leave it at that and watch.

I’m more sure of this than some of the “facts” that I know about Disney.

This is about human psychology. People are predictable...and once you see their motives and understand their backgrounds...it’s an open book.

Iger is an open book.

eliza61nyc

It affects the parks in a massive way during down economic times even when they DID hedge and not tick people off.

By attacking the safety net, it’s near impossible to be able to protect the parks from even greater strife.
The end is a stock market decline/crash. Which is 100% certain to happen.

We just don’t know the date. Most of the larger economic countries are already in recession.

When that comes stateside - and it’s a miracle it hasn’t in funny money times already - Disney will lose half their stock value (minimum) and the parks will get hammered.

Especially outside of the DVC safety blanket in Florida.

A 30% coupon isn’t gonna cut it. I’ve said this before...I’ll leave it at that and watch.

I’m more sure of this than some of the “facts” that I know about Disney.

This is about human psychology. People are predictable...and once you see their motives and understand their backgrounds...it’s an open book.

Iger is an open book.

Well I guess we will wait and see. Disney is at 150 today, you;re predicting it's going to crash by 50%. my crystal ball doesn't see that happening in the next 5-10 years (but it's been wrong before) if that happens the loyal customer ain't going to effect the parks because the economy will have tank such that not even they will be able to go.
Now you also must admit that folks have been predicting this since ticket prices hit 100 bucks and how the average Joe is going to stop going. That has not happened.

during the great recession I think it slide about 25%

I have to take your word on Iger. he's doesn't play into my satisfaction of my vacations.

I really wonder outside if this bubble how much Iger really matters to the wdw guest.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Well I guess we will wait and see. Disney is at 150 today, you;re predicting it's going to crash by 50%. my crystal ball doesn't see that happening in the next 5-10 years (but it's been wrong before) if that happens the loyal customer ain't going to effect the parks because the economy will have tank such that not even they will be able to go.
Now you also must admit that folks have been predicting this since ticket prices hit 100 bucks and how the average Joe is going to stop going. That has not happened.

during the great recession I think it slide about 25%

I have to take your word on Iger. he's doesn't play into my satisfaction of my vacations.

I really wonder outside if this bubble how much Iger really matters to the wdw guest.
Disney stock was $32 in January of 2008...it was $15.30 in March of 2009.

Something similar happened in 2002....and 92....and 76....etc etc etc.

See if you can find the pattern?🤪

“But that can’t happen NOW...they have marvel!”

Movies are 10% of their portfolio...consumer products maybe 15?

Where’s the bulk? 70% in parks and television - still.

Guess what gets crushed in recessions?

Past is prologue.

I don’t want to jack this with a dissertation...but what the current management does differently is they are primed to bail out at the first sign of trouble. Parachutes on.

The “name” doesn’t have the weight it did...even as compared to Eisner.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom