Eisner vs Iger Poll

Who did you prefer?

• Michael Eisner

Votes: 56 57.7%
  • Bob Iger

Votes: 8 8.2%
  • I hate them both!

Votes: 5 5.2%
  • They both have had their successes and failures. They're both alright.

Votes: 26 26.8%
  • I love them both!

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • Can't decide

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Chef Mickey

Not counting clones (so no Dinosaur) and overlays (so no Incredicoaster)
Iger:
All of shanghai's new rides ( Pirates 2, tron coaster come to mind)
Flight of Passage
Mickey and Minnie's runaway railway
all 3 of the star wars land attractions
7 dwarves mine train
GOTG roller coaster
Mystic Manor
Soarin' over the world
Eisner:
Splash Mountain
Indiana Jones
Soarin'
Everest
Test Track
Big Thunder Mountain
TOT
California Screamin'
Star Tours
Mission Space
------------------------------
point is both have an equal e-ticket track record, and maybe even an equal c-ticket track record (though listing those from memory will take forever as both made A LOT).
Couple issues.

Star Wars doesn’t exist yet. Should be a home run, but aren’t here yet. Same with Mickey...this has potential to be a disappointment if cut like 7DMT. Same with a Guardians. Doesn’t exist. I’m talking WDW only, so no Mystic Manor.

Soarin opened in 2001 and is Eisner. The Around the World version doesn’t mean Iger gets credit.

7DMT isn’t an E-Ticket. It should have been, but was budget cut like most of his projects thus far.

FOP is great, but it’s a screen ride an I’m already growing tired of it. It’s an E-Ticket, but it won’t age as well as a Splash Mountain or Tower of Terror.

Kilimanjaro Safaris is an E-Ticket that goes to Eisner. So does the entire expansion of Animal Kingdom. Festival of the Lion King is an E-Ticket show, along with Fantasmic. Also Eisner.

Star Wars will have 2 attractions, not 3.

So Iger has 1 open E-Ticket at WDW, FOP. If all the new stuff hits, he will somewhat redeem himself but we have to wait and see.

justintheharris

Original Poster
Voted Iger because so far his bad rides are better than Eisner's bad rides.
I'd rather have incredicoaster than nothing the ride (sounds dangerous)
I also think there's some lack of creativity with Iger though as imagineers won't produce any rides with original storylines and it also feels like the movie department is severely suffering. Like... can we stop with live action remakes of all the animated movies?

TwilightZone

I also think there's some lack of creativity with Iger though as imagineers won't produce any rides with original storylines and it also feels like the movie department is severely suffering. Like... can we stop with live action remakes of all the animated movies?
Eisner was also bad at this with the direct to dvd sequels. But then again those were direct to dvd, not in theaters. And I think at the end of the Eisner era some IP rides of more popular IPs began popping up.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Mr Flibble is Very Cross.
Wow...I’m having a hard time with this one...

Is there a typo here?

I’m gonna need some numbers guys to take a look at this one 🤯

I'm going off memory here. My facts may be a little off. I think it was Bollenbach and Eisner who started the entire process of the regular increases. I'm not saying in any way that Iger didn't follow suit and add his own special touch to it. I think it was also Eisner who had Roy kicked off (resigned) the board. So there's that.

The destructive part is the lack of maintaining any of the core parks during that timeframe. Yes they opened AK and a boatload of hotels but the parks (chiefly MK and EPCOT) were starting to degrade. Refurbs were not handled properly, parks were understaffed, and I think overall that guest satisfaction was down. That's one of the things that opened the door for Uni.

I'm just spit-balling to the best of my recollection. Which could be off.

Again...I think they both s*&ck. I just think Eisner s*&cks slightly more than Iger. Hardly noticeable.

TwilightZone

Couple issues.

Star Wars doesn’t exist yet. Should be a home run, but aren’t here yet. Same with Mickey...this has potential to be a disappointment if cut like 7DMT. Same with a Guardians. Doesn’t exist. I’m talking WDW only, so no Mystic Manor.

Soarin opened in 2001 and is Eisner. The Around the World version doesn’t mean Iger gets credit.

7DMT isn’t an E-Ticket. It should have been, but was budget cut like most of his projects thus far.

FOP is great, but it’s a screen ride an I’m already growing tired of it. It’s an E-Ticket, but it won’t age as well as a Splash Mountain or Tower of Terror.

Kilimanjaro Safaris is an E-Ticket that goes to Eisner. So does the entire expansion of Animal Kingdom. Festival of the Lion King is an E-Ticket show, along with Fantasmic. Also Eisner.

Star Wars will have 2 attractions, not 3.

So Iger has 1 open E-Ticket at WDW, FOP. If all the new stuff hits, he will somewhat redeem himself but we have to wait and see.
Good points there, but I do have some things.
1. If insiders are correct Runaway railway will be amazing, or at least very good.
2. I still consider over the world an Iger project even if the original was made during the Eisner era. the two rides are completely different. It's not like incredicoaster where it's just Screamin' but with the incredibles.
3. 7DMT was intended as one, though, which is why I counted it.
4. I wasn't counting shows here. Also I personally consider the safari to be a c ticket.
5. The star wars land thing was a brain fart.

Chef Mickey

Good points there, but I do have some things.
1. If insiders are correct Runaway railway will be amazing, or at least very good.
2. I still consider over the world an Iger project even if the original was made during the Eisner era. the two rides are completely different. It's not like incredicoaster where it's just Screamin' but with the incredibles.
3. 7DMT was intended as one, though, which is why I counted it.
4. I wasn't counting shows here. Also I personally consider the safari to be a c ticket.
5. The star wars land thing was a brain fart.
1) Still a “screen” attraction.
2) Definitely Eisner gets credit for building the ride. Iger only changed the video and it’s worse than the original. Too much CGI and looks even more distorted in several scenes.
3) Intent isn’t reality...
4) I just added the shows to prove Eisner oversaw even more than just tons of new attractions and an entirely new park.
5) Star Wars needs to be awesome or I’ll never forgive Iger.

LeighM

To make the voting more accurate you need to replace Eisner with:

Pre-Wells Eisner
and Post-Wells Eisner

(Pre-Wells Eisner wins)

I'm half way thru reading Disney Wars and I have to agree with this. I was a kid during Eisner's tenure and didn't care about it. I just saw the positives - the Disney Renaissance, bringing back Wonderful World of Disney, etc. I started paying more attention when Eisner got pushed out but didn't follow the news about it at the time. So I'm finding Disney Wars to be extremely fascinating - and I haven't even gotten to The Fall of Eisner yet! But I think both Eisner and Iger have done a good job at what they were hired to do. They both failed at some things, succeeded at others.

BigThunderMatt

I think Eisner had more genuine ambition for the parks in terms of adding new, original attractions not based on existing IP. After DLP initially flopped he started to play it safe a lot more but had things worked out in a different fashion I think we wouldn't recognize the parks as they are today. Iger is definitely more calculated and reserved when it comes to the parks but he certainly seems to know how to make the most of the acquisitions he's gotten. I highly doubt the MCU would have ever taken off had Marvel not been acquired by Disney, I'm thrilled Star Wars films are being made again and I'm curious to see how they benefit from the 20th Century Fox acquisition. But when it comes to the parks he's shown he has no faith in Imagineering to build something completely original, at least on American soil. It has to have a tie-in to something that's already been a proven success.

CoasterSnoop

Eisner’s ambition far outweighed his destruction. It’s no coincidence the animation studio entered a renaissance just a few years after he was appointed CEO. It wouldn’t be hyperbole to say Eisner saved the studio from imminent death.

It’s no secret Eisner’s worst moment far outweighs Iger’s, but Eisner’s best moment is also HIGH above anything Iger has done or will do. I’ll take a CEO who’s willing to take risks and deliver some great success (Splash, Everest, Tower, Reinaissance) over a CEO who continuously plays it as safe as possible and offers not much that is truly exciting despite being the head of an entertainment corporation (Marvel deal is the exception, not the rule).

Disney Drew

I chose Eisner, but it was tougher than I thought. In comparison, Eisner seemed to care WAY more about the parks than Bob, but Bob's biggest accomplishment in my mind (at the time) was the Pixar acquisition - Mikey just couldn't bring himself to do it, and I actually recall him interviewing Bob and them talking to that very point (Eisner had a business talk show for a short time, can't remember when). Pixar was really taking off at a time when it seemed Walt Disney Pictures was doing a lot of nothing. However, I love the parks more and the IP-ation of them is really starting to chip away at my soul. So Eisner it is.

crxbrett

I went with Eisner. I was originally going to vote both are alright, but Eisner's triumph's and successes definitely outweigh Iger's by far at this point - especially when it comes down to the parks themselves.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I'm half way thru reading Disney Wars and I have to agree with this. I was a kid during Eisner's tenure and didn't care about it. I just saw the positives - the Disney Renaissance, bringing back Wonderful World of Disney, etc. I started paying more attention when Eisner got pushed out but didn't follow the news about it at the time. So I'm finding Disney Wars to be extremely fascinating - and I haven't even gotten to The Fall of Eisner yet! But I think both Eisner and Iger have done a good job at what they were hired to do. They both failed at some things, succeeded at others.
Make sure you read storming the magic kingdom too...

That combined with Disney Wars gives a really good background of what modern Disney is...for Florida, Married to the Mouse can’t be beat (honorable mention: project future)

Notice, however, in Disney wars how iger is painted in the role of “just being there”

He landed in the catbirds seat...ironically what katzenberg could’nt outmaneuver Eisner to get set up for.

LeighM

Make sure you read storming the magic kingdom too...

That combined with Disney Wars gives a really good background of what modern Disney is...for Florida, Married to the Mouse can’t be beat (honorable mention: project future)

Notice, however, in Disney wars how iger is painted in the role of “just being there”

He landed in the catbirds seat...ironically what katzenberg could’nt outmaneuver Eisner to get set up for.

Thanks for the recommendation!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom