Eisner vs Iger Poll

Who did you prefer?

• Michael Eisner

Votes: 56 57.7%
  • Bob Iger

Votes: 8 8.2%
  • I hate them both!

Votes: 5 5.2%
  • They both have had their successes and failures. They're both alright.

Votes: 26 26.8%
  • I love them both!

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • Can't decide

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

justintheharris

Original Poster
I've seen numerous threads comparing these two but I want to ask via poll for measurement sake. Which of these guys do you prefer? I actually find myself preferring Michael Eisner as he was more willing to take risks and while some fell flat on their face, some were very well done. And even though Hollywood Studios and Animal Kingdom opened up very underdone, he set the frame work for what they would become. I don't think Iger would have been willing to open up another park in those positions. So, despite DisneyQuest and the original California Adventure, I side with Eisner. Not to say that Iger is god awful.

TwilightZone

Voted Iger because so far his bad rides are better than Eisner's bad rides.
I'd rather have incredicoaster than nothing the ride (sounds dangerous)

TheDuke

Eisner started out very ambitious with all the expansion, but the parks were in even worse shape in the turn of millennium than they are now, with so much of the new stuff that opened being crap (Dinoland USA, the opening state of California Adventure). With Iger we could still use more new stuff, but the things that open are usually at least solid with the occasional triumph like Avatarland or Everest.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The answer is “none of the above”

It’s such a complex history/story...

But here’s the historical part most forgot:

Eisner was a young, sought after exec who went after the job...he would have been hired by another studio (likely fox) if he hadn’t convinced sid bass to let him go above wells (his choice and Roy E. Team member)

Iger was “part of the deal” when Eisner bought his first paper route (abc...in non pun terms)...was not particularly noticed afterward...and was the only option when Eisner got heaved by Roy’s puppeteering.

That is how it went.

As far as iger’s successes...there have been a couple...though again washed a bit from what they were:

The Pixar acquisition was paying ransom to Steve jobs...check the stock he got. It worked for both.

Marvel was an excellent deal. They got an underpriced asset just as the groundwork of the movie franchise was set. Excellent.

The price for Lucas was great...the stewardship since has been awful. It’s hard to make the case that it isn’t worse than Lucas making bad movies and over exploiting...long twisted tale there.

There’s more..but I’ll leave it there.

Sonconato

I voted Eisner. He brought us Animal Kingdom! It doesn't have the stress and chaos of Magic Kingdom, the emptiness of Hollywood Studios nor the drunkenness of Epcot. I like the unique souvenirs they have in Asia and Africa and how friendly the cast members are. It reminds me of the early 90's at Magic Kingdom.

TwilightZone

I voted Eisner. He brought us Animal Kingdom! It doesn't have the stress and chaos of Magic Kingdom, the emptiness of Hollywood Studios nor the drunkenness of Epcot. I like the unique souvenirs they have in Asia and Africa and how friendly the cast members are. It reminds me of the early 90's at Magic Kingdom.
But Eisner brought on the emptiness of HS and the drunkenness of Epcot.
Though the chaos at MK is strictly a people problem, not a CEO problem.

Chef Mickey

Eisner started out very ambitious with all the expansion, but the parks were in even worse shape in the turn of millennium than they are now, with so much of the new stuff that opened being crap (Dinoland USA, the opening state of California Adventure). With Iger we could still use more new stuff, but the things that open are usually at least solid with the occasional triumph like Avatarland or Everest.
Everest was Eisner. Iger was simply CEO when it opened, but it was budgeted/approved/built under Eisner.

TwilightZone

Name 3 E-Tickets built by Iger's group. Then make a list of everything built under Eisner.

Not saying anything about the jobs as CEOs, but from a parks perspective, Eisner DESTROYS Iger.
Not counting clones (so no Dinosaur) and overlays (so no Incredicoaster)
Iger:
All of shanghai's new rides ( Pirates 2, tron coaster come to mind)
Flight of Passage
Mickey and Minnie's runaway railway
all 3 of the star wars land attractions
7 dwarves mine train
GOTG roller coaster
Mystic Manor
Soarin' over the world
Eisner:
Splash Mountain
Indiana Jones
Soarin'
Everest
Test Track
Big Thunder Mountain
TOT
California Screamin'
Star Tours
Mission Space
------------------------------
point is both have an equal e-ticket track record, and maybe even an equal c-ticket track record (though listing those from memory will take forever as both made A LOT).

Last edited:

Sonconato

As I recall Iger started in 2005 and I don't remember HS being practically gutted until Eisner was well gone. I'm not an expert, but it seemed like more festivals in Epcot really began only lately and the drunkenness wasn't as bad until about six years ago. Magic Kingdom wasn't as crowded all the time until lately either...but of course that's just my opinion.

wdwfan4ver

Not counting clones (so no Dinosaur) and overlays (so no Incredicoaster)
Iger:

all 3 of the star wars land attractions

------------------------------
Star Wars Land only has 2 attractions. Star Tours: the Adventure Continues is not part of Star Wars: Galaxies edge for DHS and Disneyland.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

If you’re talking strictly Orlando...

Eisner brought studios, dak, two waterparks, the Boardwalk, downtown Disney and about 12 hotels that are of much better quality/price than you see being built today...

But who’s counting? 🤪

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
As I recall Iger started in 2005 and I don't remember HS being practically gutted until Eisner was well gone. I'm not an expert, but it seemed like more festivals in Epcot really began only lately and the drunkenness wasn't as bad until about six years ago. Magic Kingdom wasn't as crowded all the time until lately either...but of course that's just my opinion.

The bad things about studios and Epcot started under Eisner were thoroughly embraced and mostly expanding under iger...

Nothing at all was stopping him from doing something. TWDC had little cash when Eisner started...they sat on mountains when sitcom bob did.

This isn’t opinion...it is historical record

Sonconato

If you’re talking strictly Orlando...

Eisner brought studios, dak, two waterparks, the Boardwalk, downtown Disney and about 12 hotels that are of much better quality/price than you see being built today...

But who’s counting? 🤪
Thank you for clarifying this for me. I had forgotten all the others and didn't specify Orlando exclusively. That is quite a list. ;)

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
I'm going to view this as Eisner vs Iger so the other options for me are irrelevant.

It comes down to which I think has done the most damage. That would have to be Eisner. Therefore, I vote Iger.

Eisner is responsible for the massive price increases (well outpacing CPI), he ushered in the most destructive period in WDW history during the early 2000's. And, it was during Eisner's tenure that the parks fell into such disrepair that Comcast had a shot (and almost a bid) to take over Disney in 2004. Imagine how that would have worked out. Not all Eisner did was terrible (as has been mentioned) and a few of the things he brought to the table did work out. But I also think he did the most damage.

Iger, well, he's just a pri*k who is ego driven and wants to IP everything.

correcaminos

The drunkenness of Epcot? Emptiness of HS? I don't recall either of those under Eisner.

I prefer the rides brought to us by Eisner. 7DMT was pathetic as an 'e-ticket' but people ate it up because it was new. Soarin' over the World is a reboot and a downgrade. Only FOP is not half bad, but even then I don't think it's anything new or amazing.

I think WDW is in a slump now and I hope they stop with the tear down old to bring new loads of years later. Kind of sick of it. And watching areas go empty in Epcot.

wdwfan4ver

DHS had a theme problem in the later part of Eisner's era. The layout problem at DHS was caused by Eisner back in the 1980's wanted a Theme park that actually was part production studios and Disney Animation movies actually was made at DHS back when it was Disney MGM studios even. The problem is Eisner closed down live production and animation studio due to him finding it was not wise to do it in Florida. What Iger did to DHS before Star Wars: Galaxies edge and Toy Story Land was the problem by him allowing TDO to turn down Monsters Inc. Door Coaster and do nothing to a past its prime Studio Backlot Tour.

Eisner did screw up the Imagination Pavilion that is still suffering to this day. Part of the Drunkenness is caused by the generations that Iger is dealing with as adult customers compare to Eisner. Eisner dealt with adult customers with longer attention spans, depended less on technology compare to now, and a bit more wiser than the adult customers Iger had to deal with. To top it off, the adult customers are less considerate than they were in the past.

Case in point is what I overheard at Magic Kingdom during my last trip to WDW. I overheard a young mom was not happy about MK only having Alcohol at table service meals with the comment claiming that no parent can handle being at MK without alcohol. She also said MK should bars, and stands of Alcohol like DHS, Epcot and AK have:jawdrop::facepalm:. Those type of complains about MK not having alcohol didn't happen under Eisner because it was a different generation.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I'm going to view this as Eisner vs Iger so the other options for me are irrelevant.

It comes down to which I think has done the most damage. That would have to be Eisner. Therefore, I vote Iger.

Eisner is responsible for the massive price increases (well outpacing CPI), he ushered in the most destructive period in WDW history during the early 2000's. And, it was during Eisner's tenure that the parks fell into such disrepair that Comcast had a shot (and almost a bid) to take over Disney in 2004. Imagine how that would have worked out. Not all Eisner did was terrible (as has been mentioned) and a few of the things he brought to the table did work out. But I also think he did the most damage.

Iger, well, he's just a pri*k who is ego driven and wants to IP everything.

Wow...I’m having a hard time with this one...

Is there a typo here?

I’m gonna need some numbers guys to take a look at this one 🤯

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom