Original Poster
Ever hear of the Dyanistic Cycle??

-----------------
Eisner seems to have lost magic touch

August 6th, 2002

Don Shula. Tom Landry.

Bill Frederick. Winston Churchill.

Lee Iacocca. Jack Welch.

They were great in their prime and in their time. But they didn't realize when it was time to step aside, so their departures became painful spectacles.

To this list, do we add Michael Eisner?

Disney stock has been dropping like the dot-coms. Certainly some of this has to do with the recession. But consider these corporate decisions:

Disney lost almost $2 billion in its 1999 Go.com Internet venture.

Disney rushed to open hundreds of Disney Stores, only to have the demand for Disney merchandise drop sharply, forcing the company to begin closing stores amid big losses.

One reason for the merchandising plunge is a lack of movies with marketing spin-off potential, such as The Lion King and The Little Mermaid.

The Disney purchase of Capital Cities/ABC for $19 billion in 1995 seemed like a great match. But ABC has been in the TV-ratings cellar ever since, despite the reputed genius of Disney entertainment and Eisner's personal involvement in scheduling.

Eisner's micromanagement is, in part, blamed for the rapid turnover of company executives. The biggest debacle was hiring Michael Ovitz as president in 1995. He left the next year, taking $90 million with him.

Despite all this, Eisner gets by because of the goodwill he built up by rescuing the company in 1984, when corporate raiders were circling. So investors patiently wait for him to get back on track and deliver soaring profits again.

For the sake of the Orlando parks, which have become cash cows bolstering the company, let's hope so.

But was Eisner the right man to save Disney in 1984 and the wrong one to run it now?

His genius when he took over Disney was tapping into underutilized assets. He revived those old Disney classic movies from the vault. He took all that empty land at Disney World and plopped hotels and parks on it. He jacked up admission prices. He revived the moribund movie studio and brought back the animated classic.

Eisner accomplished all this with two key players, company President Frank Wells and studio whiz Jeffrey Katzenberg. Wells died in 1994, the same year Katzenberg had a nasty falling-out with Eisner.

Call it coincidence, but that's when the mistakes began. It might well be that Eisner's genius is incomplete by itself. Give him Wells, and he's brilliant because Wells covered for Eisner's weaknesses. Together they were the perfect CEO.

It is the nature of people at Eisner's level not to recognize their own faults, to believe that they are the reason for success and the cogs below them are expendable.

But it is quite obvious that Katzenberg was not expendable. How many others who left the company also were not expendable?

Eisner's response -- typical for people at his level -- is that problems result from a lack of his input. So the micromanaging increases, as does the alienation of other executives.

Jimmy Carter did the same thing in the White House. Brilliance and total control can result in arrogance and isolation.

Lee Iacocca once said he was better at saving sinking ships than running them once they were afloat.

Disney investors may well be wondering the same thing about Eisner.

Mike Thomas can be reached at 407-420-5525 or mthomas@orlandosentinel.com.
Copyright © 2002, Orlando Sentinel

goofyguy

That's odd. I was talking to a co-worker of mine (and former cast member) about exactly the same thing yesterday. Eisner was great for his time, but that time may have passed.

General Grizz

Original Poster
When I read the paper this morning, I nearly jumped out of my seat! I've actually posted the same message - "just because he saved the company then, doesn't mean he is good now"... - on these forums a whiiiile back. I finally got some support! :p

WDWFREAK53

Originally posted by grizzlyhall
When I read the paper this morning, I nearly jumped out of my seat! I've actually posted the same message - "just because he saved the company then, doesn't mean he is good now"... - on these forums a whiiiile back. I finally got some support! :p

I've also been thinking it for a while now...I agree that in his day...when his back was against the wall...he was great...but not now...

kevlightyear

Very interesting stuff. . .

Here's some food for thought:

You say Eisner isn't right for the job presently, but do you have a replacement in mind? Is there a name, or just a profile that would fit the company? Perhaps these are just dreams for the unsatisfied Dsiney fan out there. . . . .
:animwink:

General Grizz

Original Poster
Yup. I'm in the dark about it.

But no one could run the Disney Company better than...

uuuuh...

Give me a second...

:lookaroun

STEVE! :sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy:

This is a very tough subject. But I am sure the "analysts" who are out there, me NOT being one!!, can choose a good person to run the company. I am sure I would like Roy Disney to play a larger role in the business; I loved many of his ideas and attitudes. Otherwise, anyone else have good ideas?

goofyguy

Originally posted by kevlightyear
Very interesting stuff. . .

Here's some food for thought:

You say Eisner isn't right for the job presently, but do you have a replacement in mind? Is there a name, or just a profile that would fit the company? Perhaps these are just dreams for the unsatisfied Dsiney fan out there. . . . .
:animwink:

I don’t have someone in mind, but what I think the company needs is someone passionate about Disney and the experience Disney provides. Most current CEOs (as we’ve seen in the news) are simply passionate about improving the bottom line (or at least the appearance of the bottom line). If you give the your guests (or movie or television viewers) a great product, the bottom line will follow.

I’m not claiming to be a business expert or anything, but at one point in my career I was a store manager at a large video store chain (okay, it was Blockbuster). While those above me emphasized bottom line over everything else, I took a page from Disney and tried to emphasize creating a fun shopping experience. While Blockbuster is famous for it’s “extended viewing fees,” at my store we never argued those fees. If you said your movie wasn’t late, those fees were credited. Period. Heck, if you knew they were late but tried really hard to get them back I’d credit them. I had costume days for no apparent reason, covered the ceiling with balloons, randomly selected accounts from the computer and gave them free rentals. And yes, when we’d look over the books at the end of the month my credits where higher than anyone else’s, but my profits also kept rising while everyone else saw theirs fall.

My whole point of this long-winded explanation is Disney needs someone who will put their customers and guests first, and the shareholders somewhere much farther down the line. Worrying about profits may make the company look good on paper, but it alienates the customer in the long run. The way to be profitable is to create great products and experiences. That's what earns product loyalty. And if the people on this board are questioning Disney's practices (since we represent Disney's most loyal customer base) imagine what the average consumer thinks when they go to WDW world and see closed attractions, large unused spaces, and sloppy maintenance. Disney needs someone who will CARE.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom