Eddie Sotto's take on the current state of the parks

Status
Not open for further replies.

flavious27

Even the results of such a race could be changed depending on the drivers. Just because the standard, "mass" produced wild mouse layouts were not designed to be more than compact littler roller coasters still does not mean creative minds could not use the ride system for more or even use just the predesigned layout to do more than just be a roller coaster. When it comes to issues of design, I take nothing as being an impossibility. A challenge? Definitely. Impossible? No. It may take a more creative mind than mine or anybody else's currently thinking about the matter, but I do not think it impossible.

A viper running on just rims will still beat a metro, even if Schumi was driving the metro.

Look at what disney did with Primeval Whirl, it is less themed than the dark knight. If disney can't do anything that more than putting lipstick on that pig, no one else is going to be able to.

lazyboy97o

A viper running on just rims will still beat a metro, even if Schumi was driving the metro.

Look at what disney did with Primeval Whirl, it is less themed than the dark knight. If disney can't do anything that more than putting lipstick on that pig, no one else is going to be able to.
Disney is not the end-all, be-all of themed entertainment. Just because Disney has not done something still does not rule out the possibility.

IlikeDW

Eddie,

Out of curiosity when you were working on DLP did you hear about or see a park in Germany called Phatasialand? I grew up on with the park(20 min from my grandmothers house) In hindsight it was a straight Disney rip off. They had a Chinese Rickshaw ride in the style of Haunted Mansion, a mine train coaster, a flume ride, western saloon show with themed area. a small monorail, a jungle cruise type ride, an indoor space coater, a a main street that had a Brandeberg gate replica at the end, they also had a fantasy forest that these little areas where you would insert a coin and an animatronic show would tell a short version of different fairytale s. I am curious on your take if you saw it and on whether there were every any discussions @ Disney about these type of copycat parks in other countries. (Looking at their website now much of what I remember from 20 years ago has been changed but the still do a fair amount of theming.)

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
Eddie,

Out of curiosity when you were working on DLP did you hear about or see a park in Germany called Phatasialand? I grew up on with the park(20 min from my grandmothers house) In hindsight it was a straight Disney rip off. They had a Chinese Rickshaw ride in the style of Haunted Mansion, a mine train coaster, a flume ride, western saloon show with themed area. a small monorail, a jungle cruise type ride, an indoor space coater, a a main street that had a Brandeberg gate replica at the end, they also had a fantasy forest that these little areas where you would insert a coin and an animatronic show would tell a short version of different fairytale s. I am curious on your take if you saw it and on whether there were every any discussions @ Disney about these type of copycat parks in other countries. (Looking at their website now much of what I remember from 20 years ago has been changed but the still do a fair amount of theming.)

Yes. I have been there. In fact, when I worked at Knott's Berry Farm, the daughter of the owner, Britta, was sent to work with me in my office for a week or so to learn about American Theme Parks (also worked at DL). She was really kind, and gave me a souvenir guidebook, (then I was shocked at what a ripoff it was) but I did not see it till I was at Disney.

During the construction of DLP, I was invited (to represent WDI) to travel with Eisner,Wells and their families across Europe to visit many competing theme parks. With the core design team we had been to most of them prior to design including Phantasialand, but this time we would see Michael's take on it. He was not pleased. He remarked that they had alot of guts to actually be proud of how well they copied things and wanted to show those works off! They steal your ideas and then ask for an autograph! We were all treated like celebrities by these parks, amazing.

I think our visit to PL included a big lunch at some beer garden and we seldom had time to see all of the shows, in that they wanted him to autograph books for their kids and do photo ops. Weird. All these parks saw his visit as an endorsement of what they had done. We did go to Europa Park which has "Europa Mouse" as it's mascot. They made Eisner take a picture with their "Rat Fink" of a mouse. So funny and you could tell he hated doing it, but smiled just the same. He was super gracious to all of them, but inside was fuming because they had copied so many Disney rides that he worried that the public (who may have not seen our parks) might think the reverse when they arrive, that we had copied them! Can't Disney think of anything new? So we did, and got the right to change things a bit. Losing the JC was not a bad thing in that so many parks copied that sort of thing. I wish I could recall the exact notes from those visits.

When he visited Tivoli, I think I recall someone puking and it landing on his shoe or something. This kind of reinforced his preference against heavy booze in the parks. Not sure.

The thing about ripoffs, is that you can't do anything about it, but in fact Disneyland is a ripoff in itself. Tivoli Gardens gave Walt the pastoral inspiration behind DL being so lush and the twinkle lighting everywhere. It's more of a "park" and so is DL with it's flowers and gardens to enjoy. A big inspiration. In fact, on one trip to Tivoli with Tony, he and I rode some dark ride where you spin the car like a teacup, then and there we decided that idea was coming to DL, and that mode of movement ended up as "Roger Rabbit's Cartoon Spin".

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
Puzzling

So on Miceage, they have a photo tour of the new "Fairy Tale Hall" attraction that opened in PTDL replacing the Castle Mystery Tour that closed in 2006.

http://micechat.com/forums/blogs/we...onderland;-royal-wedding;-australian-zoo.html

The theming is lush and they spent money here for sure, but compared to the old CMT with the full size Dragon and effects filled Cauldron show, magic mirror etc., hero medal, etc. This replacement seems elaborate but weak.

The whole notion of looking at these non immersive shadow box displays and pictures as a build up to an empty throne (to take a picture of the glass slipper) is very anti climatic to me. Yes, the DL Castle walkthru is a bunch of little windows, true, but it didn't replace something way more.

I'm hoping that the live Cinderella is intended the payoff with a live Prince as a "meet and greet" ending, and that whomever took this tour missed the character change. That makes more sense and would work.

Can you imagine waiting an hour to do that? This to me, is an expensive example of "where's the wow?" Thoughts?

flavious27

Disney is not the end-all, be-all of themed entertainment. Just because Disney has not done something still does not rule out the possibility.

Wait, what? They have made two wild mouse rides and they do not meet the standards we expect from disney. Atleast DCA is having their wild mouse rethemed to be better but it is still a ride system that should just be left to fairs and the shore.

When you think of a disney attraction, these do not come to mind:

primeval-whirl2-big.jpg

3601796149_e9c7effa71.jpg

HMF

They are planning on Sparrowizing the DLP Pirates of the Caribbean. Not sure how they are going to pull off him with his treasure considering the Grotto is after the town.

Missing20K

Not to stoke anyones flames here, but I love Wild Mouse rides and see them and their precarious nature as a fun system. At Knott's we proposed one as a mine car.

Wait, what? They have made two wild mouse rides and they do not meet the standards we expect from disney. Atleast DCA is having their wild mouse rethemed to be better but it is still a ride system that should just be left to fairs and the shore.

I am one to believe that the ride system is only limited by the designers imagination. As for the Wild Mouse conversation, a park in the Pittsburgh, PA area named Kennywood created a ride in 1999 that essentially enclosed a Wild Mouse ride in a building, changing the typical 2x2 seating for a single row of 4 across, and letting each car spin. Adding a small preshow, basically surrounding the queue with props, limited effects, etc., it evokes Disney in that "this feels sorta like Disney but not quite" kind of way.

A couple links:

http://www.thrillride.com/exterminator/exterminator.html

http://www.attractiondesignservices.com/exterminator.html

Obviously not quite on par with what Disney could do, but this was a limited budget at a small regional park. With the right creative minds, a Wild Mouse coaster could be the basis for any number of highly themed immersive attractions.

lazyboy97o

primeval-whirl2-big.jpg

3601796149_e9c7effa71.jpg
Why do you continue to bring up existing works when trying to discredit the possibility of future developments? Its like spending the first 11 months of 1903 going around telling people man will never fly while showing off all the failed attempts. There is always a first.

StageFrenzy

Space Mountain isn't much more than a wild mouse, Eddie love the European trip report. As a restauranteur does Downtown Disney (either coast) or Hyperion Wharf interest you as a possible dinning location?

flavious27

Why do you continue to bring up existing works when trying to discredit the possibility of future developments? Its like spending the first 11 months of 1903 going around telling people man will never fly while showing off all the failed attempts. There is always a first.

Because the way to avoid failures is to look back onto the past. Looking at what disney has done in the past, I doubt that they are going to bring what we expect from them. Goofy's Sky School ride will be better than Mulholland Madness, but it is pushing it.
Space Mountain used a construction style similar to wild mouse, and wdi was able to hide the ride system from guests. For Disney to use this type of ride system, they need to find a way to theme and tell a story to guests, they have not done that well of a job with PW or MM.

There is a reason why these rides are at the places they are, they are cheap to build and operate. There are ways to get around guests knowing they are on a wild mouse ride, disney has not done that yet. Kennywood was able to, Six Flags kind of did; fairs and piers do this well with their later hours and mantra of cheap thrills.

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
I am one to believe that the ride system is only limited by the designers imagination. As for the Wild Mouse conversation, a park in the Pittsburgh, PA area named Kennywood created a ride in 1999 that essentially enclosed a Wild Mouse ride in a building, changing the typical 2x2 seating for a single row of 4 across, and letting each car spin. Adding a small preshow, basically surrounding the queue with props, limited effects, etc., it evokes Disney in that "this feels sorta like Disney but not quite" kind of way.

A couple links:

http://www.thrillride.com/exterminator/exterminator.html

http://www.attractiondesignservices.com/exterminator.html

Obviously not quite on par with what Disney could do, but this was a limited budget at a small regional park. With the right creative minds, a Wild Mouse coaster could be the basis for any number of highly themed immersive attractions.

I know the guys that did that Kennywood project, I'm sure it's pretty cool. Agree... it's what you come up with.

KevinYee

During the construction of DLP, I was invited (to represent WDI) to travel with Eisner,Wells and their families across Europe to visit many competing theme parks. With the core design team we had been to most of them prior to design including Phantasialand, but this time we would see Michael's take on it. He was not pleased. He remarked that they had alot of guts to actually be proud of how well they copied things and wanted to show those works off! They steal your ideas and then ask for an autograph! We were all treated like celebrities by these parks, amazing.

I visited Phantasialand in 1999 or so, and was awestruck at the mimicry. The little monorail, for one thing, or the Tiki Room type show. The mine ride that tried to be an omnimover Pirates of the Caribbean (with Knott's Berry Farm style robot actors).

But the Michael Jackson Roller Coaster was not only an effective ripoff of Big Thunder (Anaheim/Orlando), I liked it a lot better than the stateside Thunder versions. Interesting transitions and more excitement in the swoops and dips. The Paris Thunder, though, is still better due to the awe-inspiring finale.

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
I visited Phantasialand in 1999 or so, and was awestruck at the mimicry. The little monorail, for one thing, or the Tiki Room type show. The mine ride that tried to be an omnimover Pirates of the Caribbean (with Knott's Berry Farm style robot actors).

But the Michael Jackson Roller Coaster was not only an effective ripoff of Big Thunder (Anaheim/Orlando), I liked it a lot better than the stateside Thunder versions. Interesting transitions and more excitement in the swoops and dips. The Paris Thunder, though, is still better due to the awe-inspiring finale.

The MJ Coaster? Really?

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
Space Mountain isn't much more than a wild mouse, Eddie love the European trip report. As a restauranteur does Downtown Disney (either coast) or Hyperion Wharf interest you as a possible dinning location?

Yes. It all depends what the overall theme or "tone" is (HW), but yes, it's a great opportunity to do something innovative and fun. DTD is not the kind of place to experiment with exotic menu concepts as guests generally are not that adventuresome, and you need to make tons of money to pay the rent. That does not mean you can't do something thematically exotic that has normal food or the coolest bar in the world. That sounds like fun and is up my alley.

To answer your question, I'd love a shot at doing the whole "wharf" or a DTD thematic package, pushing the high concept itself out a bit more, making the whole place more of a "must see" regardless of the dining choices they stick in. when I hear "DTD", it gives me the impression that I've already seen it, as I've been in "Disney" all day. I like the notion of creating a new place, a new escape in the Disney tradition that is entirely exotic, but a bit of a break from the character driven stuff you've seen in the parks. They have the ability to do this and make it rich and exotic, a "world" within the "World", but it's always been a mall. At WDW, it should be an attraction even if you had dinner elsewhere.
Just my take.

HMF

A question recently popped into my head. Eddie,are there many Imaginering Family dynasties are there like Chris Crump or Brian McKim?

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
A question recently popped into my head. Eddie,are there many Imaginering Family dynasties are there like Chris Crump or Brian McKim?

Hmm. That's a good question. You've already touched on two of them. This comes to mind.

The Irvine Family. Richard Irvine was an animator and eventually ran WED, his daughter Maggie grew up in the model shop (later a VP) and eventually married another Imagineer Jim Elliot. Disneyland Studio director Kim Irvine married into the family (no longer), she is the daughter of Animator Harvey Toombs and Madame Leota Toombs/Thomas.

The Kirks. Brothers Tim, Steve and wife Kathy. Kathy worked at WED/WDI as well as the two artists. Kathy ran creative casting. A design powerhouse.

X. Atencio's daughter Tori runs interiors and her husband Mike is a project manager.

You have situtations where the parent worked at the studio, or husband and wife were there. Julius and Julie Svendsen, Katie Olson's father worked at the Studio , she did color at WDI and her husband John was doing themed finishes. etc.

There are quite a few situations where Imagineeers work closely and marry.

HMF

Hmm. That's a good question. You've already touched on two of them. This comes to mind.

The Irvine Family. Richard Irvine was an animator and eventually ran WED, his daughter Maggie grew up in the model shop (later a VP) and eventually married another Imagineer Jim Elliot. Disneyland Studio director Kim Irvine married into the family (no longer), she is the daughter of Animator Harvey Toombs and Madame Leota Toombs/Thomas.

The Kirks. Brothers Tim, Steve and wife Kathy. Kathy worked at WED/WDI as well as the two artists. Kathy ran creative casting. A design powerhouse.

X. Atencio's daughter Tori runs interiors and her husband Mike is a project manager.

You have situtations where the parent worked at the studio, or husband and wife were there. Julius and Julie Svendsen, Katie Olson's father worked at the Studio , she did color at WDI and her husband John was doing themed finishes. etc.

There are quite a few situations where Imagineeers work closely and marry.

Do you know if Kathy and Wathel Rogers are related?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom