Eddie Sotto's take on the current state of the parks

Status
Not open for further replies.

HMF

All kidding aside, there is some truth to having a deep knowledge of the Disney brand and the WDI culture as a positive quality in becoming an Imagineer. Knowing the storyboard process and how to lay out a ride in scenes helped me. The shorter the learning curve the better. After all, you are interpreting the brand from a movie or source material into a physical space, so you have to know the best practices of doing that. That is something we focus on here and in other places online and in books. All valuable.

The key of course, is what you bring to the Imagineering party since they already know the history, etc. It's that unique talent that you infuse into the culture that makes the team stronger and the project better.
I hope your right it seems to me the recent trend seems to be getting rid of the "Traditionalist" Imagineers. (Tim Delaney' Valerie Edwards ETC.) though I won't get too deep into that since you requested not to. BTW' I was thinking about the whole story vs.Experience debate then I remembered Deems Taylors descriptions of the segments of Fantasia. 1 tells a definite story (Muppet-Vision 3D Alien Encounter' Splash Mountain etc.) 2 is while there is no definite plot it creates a definite picture. (Pirates of the Caribbean' Haunted Mansion) The third was music for it's own sake but I cannot find a way to connect that with Imagineering.

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
I hope your right it seems to me the recent trend seems to be getting rid of the "Traditionalist" Imagineers. (Tim Delaney' Valerie Edwards ETC.) though I won't get too deep into that since you requested not to. BTW' I was thinking about the whole story vs.Experience debate then I remembered Deems Taylors descriptions of the segments of Fantasia. 1 tells a definite story (Muppet-Vision 3D Alien Encounter' Splash Mountain etc.) 2 is while there is no definite plot it creates a definite picture. (Pirates of the Caribbean' Haunted Mansion) The third was music for it's own sake but I cannot find a way to connect that with Imagineering.

I was not saying that being a "traditionalist" gets you points, but wielded skillfully and quietly can be useful to getting in. Today I hear that a degree from Carnegie Mellon means something in particular, but as I said, the biggest asset is that "something" that they see that is unique in you that will enhance the project.

I was soundly rejected twice based on the experience they saw. First was when I was at Knott's and later when I was at Landmark. Eventually I got some images of a Jules Verne styled project that was being built to Tony Baxter and he was impressed. He came out an saw my little show and he said he liked it. When Disneyland Paris came along, he remembered those designs and I was invited to join the team as the Show Producer/Designer (originally for the Jules Verne Discoveryland) for Main Street. So I got to come in at a higher level than I had ever interviewed for in the past. Having some work built helps alot! My traditional design values and experience informed all of the work I did and I guess Tony could see that. I did not wear my Disney obsession on my sleeve. As you point out, they don't really want fanboys. So that's my story and i hope it is helpful.

I guess you can argue that without Tony seeing the work, would I have had a chance? Who knows. I will say that timing is kind of everything. They were hiring for Paris and Studio Tour so they were rabid for experienced designers when I got there in 1986. When I interviewed before it was just post EPCOT and they were just out of layoff mode.

You mention Tim and Valerie and I'm sure that being "traditionalists" would not be grounds for layoff. Sometimes it's not having enough work for them and of course can be political too. All jobs have those dimensions. As much as we want an simple and elegant cause for these things, it's usually a bit more complex than that. I do think they want new thinking and want to embrace technology in new ways and things like that so you have to be more versatile than in the past. Knowing how a dark ride works is not enough. Again, it's all about what unique talent you are bringing to the table.

HMF

I did not wear my Disney obsession on my sleeve. As you point out, they don't really want fanboys.
I had that concern when starting my podcast as I do know that Disney listens to the shows. I don't want to give away too much info about myself on the show.

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
I had that concern when starting my podcast as I do know that Disney listens to the shows. I don't want to give away too much info about myself on the show.

Perhaps you already have......wooohahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
Harry Potter Review

Now that I'm just about done "foaming" over the new iPhone 4 on the Apple site (holy picturephone batman!), on Miceage today there is a RAVE review for the new Harry Potter land and attraction at Universal. If you believe Kevin Yee, Universal has surpassed Disney ("beyond Disney quality") with this new immersive ride. Good for them (and WDI). It's a wow in his opinion. Would love to experience it myself. You guys will have to go and bring back some reviews. I hope this fuels some much needed competition in the industry.

http://miceage.micechat.com/kevinyee/ky060810a.htm

Instead of focusing on getting into WDI, why not try Universal?

ptaylor

Premium Member
Now that I'm just about done "foaming" over the new iPhone 4 on the Apple site (holy picturephone batman!), on Miceage today there is a RAVE review for the new Harry Potter land and attraction at Universal. If you believe Kevin Yee, Universal has surpassed Disney ("beyond Disney quality") with this new immersive ride. Good for them (and WDI). It's a wow in his opinion. Would love to experience it myself. You guys will have to go and bring back some reviews. I hope this fuels some much needed competition in the industry.

http://miceage.micechat.com/kevinyee/ky060810a.htm

Something that really bugs me about a lot of reviews of Harry is Potter is how they rave about the village. Yes it's good, no question about it. However, Disney have been doing this for a heck of a long time with all the various incarnations of Main Street USA, and for me, Potter Village doesn't even compare to MSUA, particularly Disneyland Paris. The Potter Village is pretty to look at when empty, but I cant even imagine what it will be like when it's open to all guests, it is far to small and cramped, with very few offerings.

Why don't people rave about Main Street and yet they do about Potter Village? Because Potter is new, Main Street USA is 'just part of the furniture'. People don't appreciate it, and take it for granted.

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
Something that really bugs me about a lot of reviews of Harry is Potter is how they rave about the village. Yes it's good, no question about it. However, Disney have been doing this for a heck of a long time with all the various incarnations of Main Street USA, and for me, Potter Village doesn't even compare to MSUA, particularly Disneyland Paris. The Potter Village is pretty to look at when empty, but I cant even imagine what it will be like when it's open to all guests, it is far to small and cramped, with very few offerings.

Why don't people rave about Main Street and yet they do about Potter Village? Because Potter is new, Main Street USA is 'just part of the furniture'. People don't appreciate it, and take it for granted.

Good point! Newness is often confused with greatness. I will say that I get still email from those who see the DLP MSUSA for the first time and they do go on about it, so that's nice. Remember, Harry Potter is a fresh, magical property that people have longed to experience in person and that strong content is more meaningful (even if done less effectively) than even the most detailed Main Street (Ok. Steve DeGaetano is excepted). Maybe the guest expectation level of Universal is lower, so when they do well, the raves are louder because they are always improving. You expect Disney to be over the top. As you can tell, I don't have the answer, just more questions. I can't judge till I walk around in it. I'm just happy someone is doing something that will cause a stir and get the business ignited again.

tirian

Good point! Newness is often confused with greatness. I will say that I get still email from those who see the DLP MSUSA for the first time and they do go on about it, so that's nice. Remember, Harry Potter is a fresh, magical property that people have longed to experience in person and that strong content is more meaningful (even if done less effectively) than even the most detailed Main Street (Ok. Steve DeGaetano is excepted). Maybe the guest expectation level of Universal is lower, so when they do well, the raves are louder because they are always improving. You expect Disney to be over the top.

That's true, there is a psychological aspect; World Showcase at Epcot and the Africa portion of DAK still impress first-timers, especially when they actually have been to those countries. My friend from Africa was shocked when she walked into Animal Kingdom, and couldn't stop saying how "it's just like back home."

As you can tell, I don't have the answer, just more questions. I can't judge till I walk around in it. I'm just happy someone is doing something that will cause a stir and get the business ignited again.

And THAT is what matters!

I find the more impressive consumer electronics become (thank you, Apple!), the more I appreciate the physical spaces of theme parks. Harry Potter is a much-needed kick in the pants to prove that incredibly immersive environments combined with technology are more important than tech alone.

misterID

From what I gather, there's some guys who were with Universal who are now with Disney that are wishing they were back at Universal. Plus, UNI might be a better place to start. It seems UNI is where Disney is looking for future Imagineers nowadays.

Steve Jobs can now seperate you from your money faster than Bill Gates. Now that's innovation, man.

hack2112

Actually, if given the choice, I would much rather work for Universal Art and Design (Orlando) than Universal Creative. The challenge of creating a yearly event like HHN where both fans and non-fans alike expect brand new themes, houses, scarezones, and shows to make them laugh, scream, and in rare occasions, cry (I've seen it), is a task that I would love to take up.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
While I am looking forward to visiting the WWOHP the same con keeps coming up in every single review....lack of sapce and guest flow. If the problem is this evident with minuscule amounts of people in the park I can only imagine what will happen after the soft opening.

Back when Disney was still in the running to get the Potter franchise we were told of how JK Rowling was insisting on certain elements even though she was bing told that they would create huge guest flow issues. Reports were that Disney would not bend on a few things and that the people working with Rowling at Disney breathed a sigh of relief when she gave US the deal. From what I am seeing it looks like US just let her have her way.

I guess time will tell if this will pay off or not. Personally, poor guest flow is a huge turn off for me. No matter how amazing an attraction or a store is, being packed in like sardines will keep me away. I am starting to wonder if US will have to close this section of the park when it his a certain capacity level.

thehowiet

Wilson King of Prussia
I am starting to wonder if US will have to close this section of the park when it his a certain capacity level.

I can't even imagine the guest reaction to a move like that. "You can come into the park, but you can't go see the best part of it."

Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey looks like the real deal. I go to WDW practically every year and haven't really had the desire to spend a day at Universal. However, after seeing these pictures and reading these reviews, I'm really starting to think about spending one less day at WDW and checking this out on my next trip. And I'm not even a Harry Potter fan....

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I can't even imagine the guest reaction to a move like that. "You can come into the park, but you can't go see the best part of it."

Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey looks like the real deal. I go to WDW practically every year and haven't really had the desire to spend a day at Universal. However, after seeing these pictures and reading these reviews, I'm really starting to think about spending one less day at WDW and checking this out on my next trip. And I'm not even a Harry Potter fan....
They might not have a choice. They would at least have to keep the number under what the the fire martial dictates as the areas capacity.

RSoxNo1

I praise your willingness to see it, and condemn those that don't. I haven't seen it yet, I don't know how great it is (other than the glowing reports), but I have been looking forward to this since it has been announced. At the time it was announced, I had only seen one of the movies and hadn't even thought about reading the books. As opening date neared I chose to read all of the books and see all of the available movies.

While I think reading the books and watching the movies will enhance this experience for me (and was the primary reason behind doing it), I don't think it would be necessary to enjoy the technology that is being showcased in this land. The Harry Potter brand will bring people to The Wizarding World of Harry Potter, but ultimately it's the attention to detail, and quality of Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey, and the other enhancements that will generate the repeat business and the aforementioned glowing reports.

It was entirely conceivable that they could have done a poor job with this land and rendered the theme park rights irrelevent. However, if they have indeed raised the bar as so many have said, it's worth seeing what Universal Creative is capable of. For me, they have built substantially better attractions than Disney over the last 10 years. It's worth giving them a chance.

HMF

While I am looking forward to visiting the WWOHP the same con keeps coming up in every single review....lack of sapce and guest flow. If the problem is this evident with minuscule amounts of people in the park I can only imagine what will happen after the soft opening.

Back when Disney was still in the running to get the Potter franchise we were told of how JK Rowling was insisting on certain elements even though she was bing told that they would create huge guest flow issues. Reports were that Disney would not bend on a few things and that the people working with Rowling at Disney breathed a sigh of relief when she gave US the deal. From what I am seeing it looks like US just let her have her way.

I guess time will tell if this will pay off or not. Personally, poor guest flow is a huge turn off for me. No matter how amazing an attraction or a store is, being packed in like sardines will keep me away. I am starting to wonder if US will have to close this section of the park when it his a certain capacity level.
It's her universe so either do it right or don't do it. I agree with J.K. Rowling the franchise is her baby so if Disney can't do justice to it why not go to Universal. In my opinion this will make Disney look incredibly foolish. I know this is odd for a Disney forum but I think we should hope Wizarding World and Universal succeeds. That will make TDO wake up and realize that their on-the-cheap management style is just going to hurt them in the end. It's almost incredible when you go to the Disneyland fan sites where something great is happening every day at DLR and compare that with WDW where things seem to be getting worse every day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom