Easter dinner anyone?

k.hunter30

Original Poster
Every year DH and I host Easter "dinner," which is actally a late lunch/early dinner for reasons too boring to explain here.

Anyways... for whatever reason, I can't remember all of the side dishes that we have served in the past. Do any of you cook a special Easter meal? Any suggestions on dishes I could prepare that *aren't* too time consuming?

Phonedave

Every year DH and I host Easter "dinner," which is actally a late lunch/early dinner for reasons too boring to explain here.

Anyways... for whatever reason, I can't remember all of the side dishes that we have served in the past. Do any of you cook a special Easter meal? Any suggestions on dishes I could prepare that *aren't* too time consuming?

I don't know about special, but Ham, oven roasted potatoes, asparagus, broccoli, carrots, and a salad is very easy.

Most of the prep can be done the night before. Then its two items in the oven (and since you can do the potatoes on a sheet pan you can fit them in under the ham) and three burners.

I wing together some apps, and some sort of dessert.

-dave

k.hunter30

Original Poster
Dave! Thank you! How have I overlooked oven-roasted potatoes? :shrug: Thanks for jogging my memory on that one.
Asparagus is on sale this week, so I think I'll do that as well.
Thanks! :D

Uponastar

I think I'm going to Dave's for dinner. :lol:

We do Easter buffet style...
baked ham, pasta salad, deviled eggs...
nothing terribly exciting.
If I can get them, I'll include some pierogi, since the Polish-half of my kids hasn't been fed in awhile. :D

DMC-12

It's HarmonioUS, NOT HarmoniYOU.
Cant forget the butter (and cake) in the shape of a lamb. :lol: :lookaroun

2007_04_04_kellersbutterlamb.jpg

lamb_cake.jpg

:lol::lookaroun

I am just taking my mom out for brunch this easter. :D:slurp:

k.hunter30

Original Poster
My late grandmother used to make a lamb cake every Easter. She put coconut on the frosting, so it really looked like lamb's wool. I loved it when I was a kid! Thought it was the neatest thing! I'm not that adventurous.

I have never seen the butter before though... :lol:

tigsmom

The butter has been in the stores around here for a few weeks now and when I was cleaning recently I found my lamb cake mold as well as the big egg one, I just may bake one along with a cheesecake for dessert :cool:

Going to my sister's this year and we will be having baked ham, kielbasa, pirogi, mashed potatoes, carrots, asparagus and coleslaw; can't forget the hard boiled eggs (she has chickens this year :lookaroun ) and babka (that is my department). One thing we will be missing is my dad's fresh made horseradish, we will have to get some store bought. :hurl:

trr1

how about this
mushroom cheese strada
mushroom-spinach-strata-158-l.jpg

4 eggs (lightly beaten)
1 can (13 3/4oz)collage inn chicken or beef broth
1/2 cup sour cream
2 tsp goldens mustard
8 slices bread,cubed
2 cups(8oz) shredded cheddar cheese
1 can(4 1/2 -6 oz)sliced mushrooms drained or 3/4 cup fresh mushrooms

in a bowl beat together eggs,broth,sour cream and mustard
stir in bread cubes,cheese and mushrooms
pour into a greased 2 quart baking dish or a 12x8x2 inch baking dish
cover and refridgerate over night
bake at 350 for 50 to 60 minutes or untill set
let stand 5 -10 minutes before serving
serves 6-8

Phonedave

Dave! Thank you! How have I overlooked oven-roasted potatoes? :shrug: Thanks for jogging my memory on that one.
Asparagus is on sale this week, so I think I'll do that as well.
Thanks! :D

I'll tell you how I make them.

Scrub and chunk up some firm waxy potatoes (easterns or some other New Potato - no russets or other baking type) No need to peel

Par boil them in salted water until they are sofened, but not cooked all the way - maybe 20 minutes or so. Drain and dry.

Melt butter and mix with olive oil about half and half raito

Mix fresh thyme and rosemary, salt, pepper, garlic, and onion powder into the butter / oil blend.

Toss the potatoes in the butter/oil mix, spread on a single layer on a sheet pan, and bake at 400F for about half an hour.

Par-boiling them like that gets them cooked all the way through, but allows them to brown and crisp on the outside and stay fluffy on the inside (like the double frying of a french fry)

You can do the par-boiling the night before and keep them in the fridge. The day of, just do the butter thing, coat the 'tatos and then throw in the oven.

Sometimes when I am feeling wacky I will take some canned mushrooms, mince them fine, and mix them in with the potatoes as well.

Somtimes when I am feeling VERY wacky I will take fresh mushrooms, saute them in butter, mince them fine, and mix them in with the potatoes.

-dave

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom