Early 80's: CM's waiving goodnight from the Train Station

Seabiscuit

Original Poster
You know how at the end of the night, most everyone heads down Main Street and funnels through those tunnels underneath the train station?

I remember one of our trips in the early 80's there were a few CM's positioned on the Train station above the tunnels, waiving goodnight to the guests just before they passed underneath.

I thought that was a nice touch, and I've never seen it done again on our more recent trips. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

DisneyParksFan1

You know how at the end of the night, most everyone heads down Main Street and funnels through those tunnels underneath the train station?

I remember one of our trips in the early 80's there were a few CM's positioned on the Train station above the tunnels, waiving goodnight to the guests just before they passed underneath.

I thought that was a nice touch, and I've never seen it done again on our more recent trips. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Yes, I know what you mean. It indeed is a nice touch, very heartwarming. Last time I went they still did this. They held up mickey signs that said see ya real soon.

Seabiscuit

Original Poster
Wow, it's good to hear that it's still done. Are they only there for a short while and leave after the crowds thin? Maybe that's why we're not seeing them? (we tend to shop a bit after Wishes)

Captain Hank

It kinda depends on the night, crowd levels, staffing levels, etc. I know it was very common for the Dream Squad to do this during the Years of a Million Dreams. Occasionally CMs from a particular land will wave goodbye from that land. I also recently saw World Showcase CMs waving goodbye from the Fountain of Nations Stage. Universal seems to do it on a pretty regular basis.

luvlifeinfl

We saw them last yr, but they were standing on Main St. near the flag area, that way seemed more personal. I was even able to get a pic. of my DD standing w/ them. When I took it I thought that's my girl in training..

EpScott

When we left the Magic Kingdom this past March, the Cast Members waved goodbye to us, and I distinctly remember this because of one very memorable detail: two or three of the CM's were wearing those oversized white Mickey Mouse gloves to wave to the guests. (You know---the gloves that look like they go with the oversized Sorceror's hats.)

Chape19714

I`ve seen them now and then. Mickey himself does it at DLP so it isn`t a dying art.
Mickey used to do it here at WDW, back around 2001 or 2002 I believe they stopped it.

And it used to be a tradition, but is sadly no longer...Universal does it nightly the way Disney used to, with all the attractions represented.

That being said, Main Street, Custodial, or Guest Relations normally does it now, if they can.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom