E.E. Grade?

abian

autumndawn1006 said:
The mountain is 199 ft. because if it was any higher it would be required to have the flashing red light to notify airplanes. This would look a little silly on a mountain. I doubt the Imagineers ever intended to make the mountain higher or slow down the entire ride for the guests to spend more time in front of the Yeti.
Guess what? The ride has been completely "stopped" for "2" times! One time, literally nothing happen, (well, except a bird with a chopstick) and the other casue you have to wait longer (sorry, we gotta switch the track) so they throw you some video. So I am assuming the issue is not that they don't want to slow the ride down.

autumndawn1006

I know the ride slows, I have been on it.

I don't think I stated my thoughts well. The story line is supposed to be that we are trying to get off the mountain to get away from the yeti. Think about it in real life. If I saw a bear or something on a mountain I wouldn't stick around for a minute or two to see what he was capable of doing. I would get the heck out of there. That's what we're doing on the ride.

I just don't think it would be good storytelling to stop the ride there just to show off an AA. But, I can see your point as well. If it is a primary focus of the ride some people will want to see more of it.

I'd just like to clear something up here. I have seen a 30 second long video of the Yeti from one shot and I can tell you that the AA does have a lot of movement. Now I'm not saying they could make him tapdance or anything, but when he reaches for the train it is a full bodied lunge.

It is a shame that you don't see him for longer, but I believe that's the idea. One of the great things about Disney Attractions is that they often leave you wanting more. When you only get to see the Yeti for a couple of seconds, it makes you want to go again just to catch another glimpse of him.

dxwwf3

The thrills at EE were much more than I was expecting. But I guess that is easy to happen when you are expecting something along the lines of Big Thunder Mountain :lol:

Pete C

I think if the train stopped in front of the Yeti it would remove its fearsomeness entirely. When you stop in front of an AA and get to watch it for any length of time, you see the way it moves and it becomes less and less realistic the more you stare at it. I think they wanted to catch people by surprise and have this huge thing actually swipe down for a single, terrifying moment. If it stopped and the Yeti was just standing there flailing his arms around...it would be LESS scary. Riders fly straight at it, they see it, they say "Woah...what the..." and they are out of there...left with just a trace memory of the creature. That is more in line with "real" Yeti sightings anyway. Are you forgetting that in Yeti lore people never get a good glimpse of this thing? If you watched the making of Everest you would have seen Joe Rhode talking to all these Nepalese people recounting their legends of the Yeti. It's not like these people had a Polaroid of this thing to show him...they had their stories and drawings, and that is the effect they want you to leave the ride with. An image in your head that is not perfect and certainly not a robotic animitronic that you got to see go through its cycles. I truly believe that is what this team wanted to create. They did not skimp on this part of the attraction, and this is exactly what they were going for.

That said, the projection could have been better. I think they could have made a more convincing shadow effect, rather than the cartoony shadow animation that is there now.

CHAPPS

Account Suspended
JustinTheClaw said:
One of the great things about Disney Attractions is that they often leave you wanting more. When you only get to see the Yeti for a couple of seconds, it makes you want to go again just to catch another glimpse of him.

This is what I mean, though, when I say it is poor showmanship. The concept of leaving your audience wanting more only works when you have given them something spectacular to begin with. Just teasing your audience frustrates people. It's a twisted form of leaving people wanting more. It's like when you go on vacation and you are having a great time, and then the day comes when it's time for you to have to go home. You probably wish you could stay. You're WANTING MORE. But let's say you go on vacation and the whole time it's really boring and you never really get to do anything all that fun. Would it be fair to say that you were WANTING MORE out of that vacation? Of course! But it's not the same thing. If the Imagineers' goal in just teasing us with the Yeti, was to leave us wanting more...then they got this show business concept all wrong.

CHAPPS

Account Suspended
Pete C said:
I think if the train stopped in front of the Yeti it would remove its fearsomeness entirely. When you stop in front of an AA and get to watch it for any length of time, you see the way it moves and it becomes less and less realistic the more you stare at it. I think they wanted to catch people by surprise and have this huge thing actually swipe down for a single, terrifying moment. If it stopped and the Yeti was just standing there flailing his arms around...it would be LESS scary.

I agree! And this is the ONLY reason people are saying that it "looks so real". It's not because it's actually all that advanced of an AA. It's because you fly past it so fast to be able to really get a good enough look.

I have no problem with this particular sighting of the Yeti. The problem is that it is the ONLY sighting of the Yeti. There's no reason, from a story standpoint, why they couldn't have shown us a lengthier sighting of the Yeti instead of (or in addition to) the one that we ended up with. I disagree with you that it couldn't have been as scary. I apparently have more faith in the Imagineers than you do. After all, they've done before plenty of times. I think the dinosaur chasing you in Dinosaur is very scary, and you get a good look at him. Universal has done a good job of it as well. The T-Rex that you see right before the drop is very scary in my opinion.

Pete C said:
Riders fly straight at it, they see it, they say "Woah...what the..." and they are out of there...left with just a trace memory of the creature. That is more in line with "real" Yeti sightings anyway. Are you forgetting that in Yeti lore people never get a good glimpse of this thing? If you watched the making of Everest you would have seen Joe Rhode talking to all these Nepalese people recounting their legends of the Yeti. It's not like these people had a Polaroid of this thing to show him...they had their stories and drawings, and that is the effect they want you to leave the ride with. An image in your head that is not perfect and certainly not a robotic animitronic that you got to see go through its cycles. I truly believe that is what this team wanted to create. They did not skimp on this part of the attraction, and this is exactly what they were going for.

I think that's just a convenient excuse for skimping on this attraction. The thing about fantasy (Disney in particular) is that we get to do and experience things that we probably will never get to do in real life. Most ghost sightings could be described in exactly the same way you've described the Yeti sightings. But imagine how boring the HM would be if you just got brief little glimpses. I doubt it would be the classic attraction it is today if it made people say, "I'm not sure what I saw. Gosh, that's just like it is in real life when people see ghosts! I'm going to ride again!"

autumndawn1006

Chapps I must say I love EE and believe the ride is probably true to the original intent of the imagineers. I think the yeti is the new king of AA's:king: .

With that being said, I must compliment you on your posts. All your statements are organized and well thought out. You have responded to those of us who disagree with you in a respectful way and caused us to better strengthen our arguments.:wave:

There are too many threads currently on the forum that start off pleasant but soon become unbearable to read with all of the negativity.

I would call you a gifted orator, but I guess that's not appropriate on an internet forum. Talented threaderator? Gifted postador? I'll have to think some more when I'm not so tired and can come up with a better name.

Have a happy and safe holiday all. :sohappy:

CHAPPS

Account Suspended
autumndawn1006 said:
Chapps I must say I love EE and believe the ride is probably true to the original intent of the imagineers. I think the yeti is the new king of AA's:king: .

With that being said, I must compliment you on your posts. All your but soon become unbearable to read with all of the negativity.
statements are organized and well thought out. You have responded to those of us who disagree with you in a respectful way and caused us to better strengthen our arguments.:wave:

There are too many threads currently on the forum that start off pleasant
I would call you a gifted orator, but I guess that's not appropriate on an internet forum. Talented threaderator? Gifted postador? I'll have to think some more when I'm not so tired and can come up with a better name.

Have a happy and safe holiday all. :sohappy:

Thanks Autumndawn! I, too, have seen way too many threads get out of hand because people make the argument personal, while others get a little oversensitive and take it personally when it's not necessary. This is an enjoyable discussion board, and it's fun to debate issues in an open and friendly way.

Oh, and if I have a vote in the matter, I'd like to go with "Gifted Postador". :wave:

CHAPPS said:
Thanks Autumndawn! I, too, have seen way too many threads get out of hand because people make the argument personal, while others get a little oversensitive and take it personally when it's not necessary. This is an enjoyable discussion board, and it's fun to debate issues in an open and friendly way.

Oh, and if I have a vote in the matter, I'd like to go with "Gifted Postador". :wave:
Amen to that. I had one thread that I started completely fall apart because some people were unable to comprehend the fact that one could accept another person's opinion without necessarily agreeing with it. Just because someone defends and debates their side, it doesn't mean they are ignoring someone else's.

Here here to good debates! :sohappy:

CHAPPS

Account Suspended
JustinTheClaw said:
Amen to that. I had one thread that I started completely fall apart because some people were unable to comprehend the fact that one could accept another person's opinion without necessarily agreeing with it. Just because someone defends and debates their side, it doesn't mean they are ignoring someone else's.

Here here to good debates! :sohappy:

:sohappy: I read somewhere that one of the most common causes of conflict is not everyone involved actually cares deeply about the issue, but they all have different ways of caring and each person thinks his/her way of looking at it is the "right" way.

I think the same can be said on these boards sometimes. One thing I think we can all agree on is that we love Disney, and that's the primary thing that motivates us all to post here. But even though we all love Disney, we may not all define that the same way. For example, one person may describe it as meaning that you automatically have to be loyal and love everything Disney produces. Others may describe it as holding Disney to a higher standard and being disappointed when you know they can do better. The next thing you know, we've got a healthy debate going. Unfortunately, those do sometimes turn ugly. I'm glad that hasn't happened here on this thread. Group hug!!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom