E.E. Grade?

EHR21

Probably B+ to A- range, rode it 2 consecutive times 2 weeks ago and came out dizzy both times but loved it!!

dxwwf3

Pete C said:
On a coaster-level, I put Everest above it, plain and simple. I go on massive coasters that put these to shame all the time, and my opinion is that Everest is a bit more intense of a ride. The thing is, you are saying that the Mummy is on some other level of existance than Everest...that it is in a different league. That is a joke man. I walked off of Mummy like...good ride, nothing more. Spiderman, I agree, now that is cutting edge. Tower of Terror, that was cutting edge when it opened. Mummy? Not in that class. I give Everest a B+ for the Yeti, overall theme, and dark backwards portions of the ride.

Well said.

AndyMagic

Mummy isn't really "cutting edge" but it's combination of dark ride and coaster make it what I think everyone assumed Everest would be. Mummy is truly half dark ride and half coaster while Everest is 70 percent coaster, 20 percent wasted track in which you are travelling slowly and looking at nothing, and 10 percent dark ride. That 10 percent is being generous. I'd say Mummy and Everest are on par with each other depending on what you like. Mummy has all the details packed INTO the showbuilding while Everest has all it's detail on the outside of the ride.

jedimaster1227

Well, I rode it on the previews and I don't know if anything has changed since then, but I have ridden it 6 times, and every time it gets better.

I will rate it for you by sections of the train:

Front-Amazing detail and easy to see hidden things and technology, plus great amounts of force when going backwards: +A

Middle: Good if you are in a hurry, not as much to see or feel: -B

Back: The best seats in the train are in the back, you see the most in every scene, you get the most airtime coming off of the drop and you get a nice air-moment right as you are about to encounter the Yeti: ++A

Overall Grade for any seat: A+

Nemo14

I'd definitely give it an A. It's not meant to be a IoA ride - it's simply a great disney ride with wonderful theming in the queue!

CHAPPS

Account Suspended
hokielutz said:
But what they do is blend some good thrills with theming and story.

Normally, that is exactly what the Imagineers do...and they usually do it quite well. I don't believe this was accomplished, though, with EE. Sorry, but I just don't see the "themeing and story" that everyone refers to. On attractions like Mummy, ToT, and Spiderman, you definitely have lot's of themeing and story. EE is pretty much just a roller coaster, and not a very good one. I agree that Disney does not generally go for building the big mega coasters, but if all they were going to do was make EE essentially nothing more than a coaster, they should have at least gone 100% and made it a better one in my opinion. Given a choice, I would certainly have preferred lot's of themeing, visuals, special effects, and story over a super thrilling ride. But we definitely didn't get any of that with EE.

Damien666

I find it interesting people are bashing the finale of EE. Saying it was too short etc. Well I like it you only catch a glimpse of the Yeti, it gives you a "What was that? Was that real?" feeling when you go by him. It adds to the mystery of the story quite well. I'd rate EE a B+, a nice solid attraction.

Now I have seen concept pics of EE on Jim Hill Media where the yeti was massive. But the scenes looked a bit too similar to the experience of King Kong and Universal's tram ride in Hollywood.

Just remember people, at least it's not SGE quality!

CHAPPS

Account Suspended
Damien666 said:
Well I like it you only catch a glimpse of the Yeti, it gives you a "What was that? Was that real?" feeling when you go by him. It adds to the mystery of the story quite well.

That seems to be the convenient EE fan's spin for why Disney (and/or the Imagineers) cheated us out of getting a decent look at this supposedly "advanced" AA. :rolleyes:

dxwwf3

Damien is spot on here. I have been on EE 10 times and I still look at something different everytime we enter the Yeti room. The speed really adds to the effect of him swiping at you. If you went slower, it wouldn't be that good of an effect. I would be willing to bet you get more time to look at the Yeti than you get to look at the fire effect at ROTM.

CHAPPS

Account Suspended
dxwwf3 said:
Damien is spot on here. I have been on EE 10 times and I still look at something different everytime we enter the Yeti room. The speed really adds to the effect of him swiping at you. If you went slower, it wouldn't be that good of an effect. I would be willing to bet you get more time to look at the Yeti than you get to look at the fire effect at ROTM.

Your vehicle is at a standstill when the fire effect on ROTM takes place. Plus you have time to look up and see it all unfolding and engulfing the ceiling, not to mention getting very warm. No way is the view of the Yeti nearly as long as that.

I would have no problem with the quick glimpse of the Yeti if it were not for the fact that that's the only time on the entire ride that we get to see this supposedly "advanced" AA. I think it would have been better if we could have gotten to see it during the part where you're stopped and looking at that cheesy animated projection. At least then I wouldn't feel jipped.

dxwwf3

CHAPPS said:
Your vehicle is at a standstill when the fire effect on ROTM takes place. Plus you have time to look up and see it all unfolding and engulfing the ceiling, not to mention getting very warm. No way is the view of the Yeti nearly as long as that.

I was at UO last summer and when I rode ROTM they were running it at full capacity and it felt like you were being rushed a bit in the ride. For example, in the scarab room, before you go backwards, you could see the fire from the treasure room to your left. And in the fire room, you started moving for the drop as soon as the fire started. It was like that when I rode it all 4 times that day. I don't know if it is like this all the time now or not, but if it is, you DEFINITELY see the Yeti longer than you get the fire.

CHAPPS

Account Suspended
dxwwf3 said:
I was at UO last summer and when I rode ROTM they were running it at full capacity and it felt like you were being rushed a bit in the ride. For example, in the scarab room, before you go backwards, you could see the fire from the treasure room to your left. And in the fire room, you started moving for the drop as soon as the fire started. It was like that when I rode it all 4 times that day. I don't know if it is like this all the time now or not, but if it is, you DEFINITELY see the Yeti longer than you get the fire.

Well clearly, since I am not there 24/7 I can't speak for how it was the 4 times that you rode it during your visit last summer. However I, too, was there last summer and rode it a number of times over the course of several days and it was not that way. I was also there this past March for several days once again and rode it numerous times over the course of those days and it was never like that. So perhaps it is something they have the capability to change based on capacity, etc. EE, on the other hand, is locked into only being able to show you the Yeti for that short period of time. So if anything, I'd say this is yet another example of how ROTM is more advanced.

dxwwf3

CHAPPS said:
Well clearly, since I am not there 24/7 I can't speak for how it was the 4 times that you rode it during your visit last summer. However I, too, was there last summer and rode it a number of times over the course of several days and it was not that way. I was also there this past March for several days once again and rode it numerous times over the course of those days and it was never like that.

That is good news. I thought it really took away from the attraction.

CHAPPS said:
So if anything, I'd say this is yet another example of how ROTM is more advanced.

:lol:

Most attractions can do the same thing. Even on EE you might not stay in the same area for the track switching points the same amount of time everytime you ride. It can certainly fluctuate, as far as I know. It certainly seemed that way.

I was just worried that they would be running ROTM that way in a more permanent way. The last time I rode it, it was at the end of the night and there was a very short line so that's what made me wonder. It could possibly be a daytime decision.

CHAPPS

Account Suspended
dxwwf3 said:
Even on EE you might not stay in the same area for the track switching points the same amount of time everytime you ride.

The problem is that the track switching points are arguably the most uninteresting parts of the ride (except for possibly the very beginning before the lift hill). These two points would have been prime opportunities to have something really interesting going on for the guest to look at. The Imagineers are certainly capable of something much more extraordinary and impressive than a plastic bird and a cartoon Yeti projected on the wall.

dxwwf3

CHAPPS said:
The problem is that the track switching points are arguably the most uninteresting parts of the ride (except for possibly the very beginning before the lift hill). These two points would have been prime opportunities to have something really interesting going on for the guest to look at. The Imagineers are certainly capable of something much more extraordinary and impressive than a plastic bird and a cartoon Yeti projected on the wall.

No disagreement on the bird, but who in the world is looking at that? There are the Yeti footprints in the snow, the sounds going on all around you, and if you sit towards the front of the car you have the most amazing view at WDW.

I will disagree about the projection though. I thought it was an amazing effect because it looked so good. It is hard to try that argument when you've got the non-moving warriors and the cardboard cutouts from ROTM. Universal is certainly capable of doing more than that as well (Just look at all of the great effects on Spider Man for crying out loud).

abian

The budget of these 2 attractions are 40m(ROTM) vs 100(EE)m. I think with the budget universal got, they did a great job. And I believe ROTM got the same amount of money Disney has, ROTM would have been a way better ride than EE.

RenegadeMilkmen

I'd give Expedition Everest a B. It's a good ride and I think it will be one of Animal Kingdom's biggest attractions for a long time. But the only thing I didn't like about it was its length. When you see this huge mountain that costed millions to build, you'd expect the ride to be at least like 4-5 minutes long. Its only about half of that.

dxwwf3

abian said:
The budget of these 2 attractions are 40m(ROTM) vs 100(EE)m. I think with the budget universal got, they did a great job.

That's fine, but I'm trying to compare the two rides as if everything is equal. To us, the guests, none of that really matters. Know what I mean?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom