DVC Website

striker1064

Admittedly I was all sour before my November trip and that one turned out amazing. To the point I'm considering adding on.... again. Though I should hold off until this summer and see after our next 2 trips before I do buy but I'm not always patient.

Interestingly, our November runDisney trip is what really solidified our sour-ness. We stayed at OKW for the first time, and OKW was great! The races were fun too. But everything else... man. It's an expensive proposition to hold onto points just for races. There are races everywhere.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Yep, right after the Delta wave in Florida. Locally we weren't great but we weren't as bad as now.

It was busy though when I was there, which surprised me a little. However I have to give a ton of credit to both the Polynesian and SSR management for my stays. For Polynesian MDE was giving me a huge headache. Just wasn't loading and I couldn't see if a room was ready etc. I went to the front desk and the CM was amazing. The manager came over to help too (they couldn't fix, but dang they were great). Let me give a specific request for a room and they found one for me that was open right away.

SSR, I made a comment on a survey that I could hear the elevator bing reaaaaaaaly loud and I was a handful of rooms down from the elevator. The manager called me a few hours later and asked if I wanted to be moved! I declined and had a nice conversation with him and said I loved all the updates - though the bedding at PVB was a bit better. Nice people and taking care of guests.

See... this is why I struggle. The resorts were so nice. But yes, I should hang on. I don't need points. I can throw money elsewhere to Disney too ;) But really my stays at the rooms were top notch.
This is why we don't have a problem with Disney right now. We love the resorts and spend the majority of our time at our resort now. The parks are secondary. Weird, I know, but that's how we vacation now. We want relaxation, and the resorts provide that for us.

I admit that we are a bit different in that we have both been going to WDW since 1978, so know the parks like the back of our hands. We do ensure that we at least experience any new attractions that we haven't seen, and a few favorites, which is what the early entry or late stay are for.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
This is why we don't have a problem with Disney right now. We love the resorts and spend the majority of our time at our resort now. The parks are secondary. Weird, I know, but that's how we vacation now. We want relaxation, and the resorts provide that for us.

I admit that we are a bit different in that we have both been going to WDW since 1978, so know the parks like the back of our hands. We do ensure that we at least experience any new attractions that we haven't seen, and a few favorites, which is what the early entry or late stay are for.
…ride them…just a ride 😉

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I am generally curious: what’s “amazing” or “top notch” about Disney hotels these days? I could use some of that…but don’t generally find much.

correcaminos

I am generally curious: what’s “amazing” or “top notch” about Disney hotels these days? I could use some of that…but don’t generally find much.
I said the service was. That means they treated me well and went above and beyond what was expected. DVC rooms are like condos so nothing special there.

Interestingly, our November runDisney trip is what really solidified our sour-ness. We stayed at OKW for the first time, and OKW was great! The races were fun too. But everything else... man. It's an expensive proposition to hold onto points just for races. There are races everywhere.
Sorry to hear that truly.

Really if we decide to skip Disney parks mostly, we will sell. There are better places to travel than Orlando within FL even if not doing parks.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Really if we decide to skip Disney parks mostly, we will sell. There are better places to travel than Orlando within FL even if not doing parks.
We still visit the parks, but they are not always the sole reason to travel.

Having lived in Florida for many years (Orlando, Panama City, and Cocoa), exactly where do you think is "better" in Florida? Just curious.

correcaminos

We still visit the parks, but they are not always the sole reason to travel.

Having lived in Florida for many years (Orlando, Panama City, and Cocoa), exactly where do you think is "better" in Florida? Just curious.
I'm a beach lover. Orlando misses that in spades ;)

That said I had family in Florida for large portions of my life. We do Orlando for amusement parks. Nothing else. We'd often split our trips to the west coast of Florida - my personal favorite.

Living and vacationing are two totally different things. So what I want out of a vacation likely won't match up with living. Though reality is Tampa would have been a choice based on work.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
I'm a beach lover. Orlando misses that in spades ;)

That said I had family in Florida for large portions of my life. We do Orlando for amusement parks. Nothing else. We'd often split our trips to the west coast of Florida - my personal favorite.

Living and vacationing are two totally different things. So what I want out of a vacation likely won't match up with living. Though reality is Tampa would have been a choice based on work.
Ah, yes. We lived on both sides of Florida practically on the beach, and went there maybe 5 times in 5 years. We are not beach people at all, but I can certainly see your point. We have relatives that live in Florida just a few hours from Orlando that we visit every year as well (except for last year due to COVID :mad:).

I will say that the west coast of Florida is much better than the east side. The beaches between Panama City beach and Destin (get away from the touristy areas) are incredible, but again, just not us for a vacation.

correcaminos

Ah, yes. We lived on both sides of Florida practically on the beach, and went there maybe 5 times in 5 years. We are not beach people at all, but I can certainly see your point. We have relatives that live in Florida just a few hours from Orlando that we visit every year as well (except for last year due to COVID :mad:).

I will say that the west coast of Florida is much better than the east side. The beaches between Panama City beach and Destin (get away from the touristy areas) are incredible, but again, just not us for a vacation.
Honestly Panama City is not my idea of a good vacation place anyway. While I enjoy Florida that region is a lot different than further south for us. So we'd avoid the panhandle anyway. My cousin lived on Merrit Island for a while. That area felt too fragile when bad weather hit.

As I said we're beach people. I've gone to the beaches in Florida more than you it seems.

Our family has all now moved but we have friends along the west coast still. If we didn't have a kid here so involved and starting HS next year, we would be in warmer climates near the beach. But... Midwest it is.

Which brings me back. If we decide to not do parks, we'd sell. While service I got was fantastic nothing about DVC is special enough to keep if we stopped.

striker1064

I'm sure you'll get a few varieties of answers to this, but for the most part I don't find any Disney hotel to be top-notch. A few DVC resorts are top-notch compared to the Values/Moderates, but not all. It's always been park proximity. There are lots of DVC-ers that do resort only stays, but I have to imagine 90+% would never buy in without a park (even though the contracts state your timeshare continues to exist in the event of a park closure).

The one exception to me, personally, is AKV. I'm not aware of anywhere else in the country with a literal zoo off your balcony, and that will never not amaze me. As a room, it's nothing special. But we've spent multiple trips at AKV and that never gets old, however I also know not everyone cares about the animals.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Honestly Panama City is not my idea of a good vacation place anyway. While I enjoy Florida that region is a lot different than further south for us. So we'd avoid the panhandle anyway. My cousin lived on Merrit Island for a while. That area felt too fragile when bad weather hit.

As I said we're beach people. I've gone to the beaches in Florida more than you it seems.

Our family has all now moved but we have friends along the west coast still. If we didn't have a kid here so involved and starting HS next year, we would be in warmer climates near the beach. But... Midwest it is.

Which brings me back. If we decide to not do parks, we'd sell. While service I got was fantastic nothing about DVC is special enough to keep if we stopped.
We avoided Panama City Beach like the plague during spring break time. Just not a place to go for the locals. We were stationed at Tyndall AFB, and it has a 27 mile private beach right on the Gulf that is a wildlife conservation area as well. Really nice, but we only visited 3 times during the 5 years we were there. Just not our cup of tea, I guess.

If the main reason for y'all to visit Orlando is the parks, and you decide not to go to them, I can completely understand why you would sell.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I've been to Miami. No thanks and no reason to go back.
…there’s a baby in that bath water.

I’m not a huge fan either…but there are a lot of good things if you want to find them.

the thing about Orlando - wdw in particular - is it’s 100% staged.

some people love that, some hate that, some love it and don’t even realize that’s why they love it.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
You missed out on the once-great lobby at OKW. It was recently redone and it’s a significant step down. IMHO.

CaptainAmerica

We stay all over except I hated SSR for so long with such a passion I admit that I've only been in that resort twice now. My son never. Getting them to agree to VGF for a family stay was like pulling teeth. RR is a no go yet just because I have a legit fear of heights and needed to test the skyliner before agreeing to stay there. Thanks to school schedules and pandemic that was delayed until June 2021. So my 14yo has stayed multiple times in most resorts. He has favorites as do I.

I also have ones that aren't on my go to list any longer (BCV) but we do use our points to stay all over.

Issue comes in when you have a favorite and it gets hard to book. So you want that home resort advantage. Like OKW, I won't stay unless at HH. Just because I want to be close to the sauna for back issues. So I want my OKW contract. We also still do more 2 bedrooms for now but might opt for 1 bedrooms thanks to the murphy beds. So not all rooms work for us. We like choices yes, but sometimes a resort is almost impossible to get into if you are stuck on dates you can travel.

Many trips are scheduled a long time in advance. Others not so much. We move often at 7 months though. But with school schedules and activities I am limited on travel times. So for big trips I book early.
People often advise "don't buy Saratoga if you're not willing to stay at Saratoga," but I would almost go further than that and advise "don't buy DVC, period, if you're not willing to stay at Saratoga."

correcaminos

People often advise "don't buy Saratoga if you're not willing to stay at Saratoga," but I would almost go further than that and advise "don't buy DVC, period, if you're not willing to stay at Saratoga."
Probably wise for newbies. Of course SSR didn't exist when I bought. My advice is buy where you wouldn't mind staying every time. Or if you have a "need to stay" location buy there and always book early.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
To each their own. I think OKWs lobby is nice. Not that I didn't love it before. Same with SSRs. That one was a nice change.

The old lobby had an actual Key West charm, you felt like you were transported somewhere else. The new lobby has the charm of an Ikea showroom. I haven't stayed at SSR since they redid the lobby there, and honestly, I don't know when I'll be back. :(

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom