DVC Resale questions

LilWalt

Original Poster
I am looking at purchasing a resale DVC.
Is there anything that I should be concerned about with one of these?
Does the resale come with the same perks as if I purchased a new one through Disney?
Does the price of the resale include the rest of the term of the DVC?

pixargal

We bought resale and figured the cost in savings was worth losing some of the perks that you get by buying direct. First of all, you cannot use your points for a Disney cruise, or Adventures by Disney, or to stay in one of the hotels on property without DVC (for example, the Polynesian). Next, it takes a couple of months from start to finish to become members if you buy resale. By buying direct, you pretty much get your points right away. The rest of the terms stay the same, I believe. We used one of the sponsors of these boards to buy our resale and couldn't have been happier with their professionalism.

I am not sure what you mean by the price including the rest of the term of DVC, but there are yearly maintenance fees that vary by each resort. Some start as low as 3.90 per point and go as high as 6.78 per point. Some contracts expire in 2042 and some in 2060. At which time, you turn it over to Disney.

LilWalt

Original Poster
Meaning that if I purchase a 100 point DVC resale, it will be good for the rest of the term of the that DVC?

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member
Other than the perks discussed by pixargal above, when you buy DVC from DVC or resale you are buying the deed to a time share property under Florida laws for the length of the deed. If you buy 100 points you will receive 100 points each year on the use month listed in your deed. The only expection to this could be if the present owner bowered points from the next use year and used them for a trip this year. Than you would not receive your points till the following year. If the present owner banked points, you may have some points that have to be used this year or your will lose them.

dreamfinder

Buying resale gets you the deed to the points, for the length of the deed. As mentioned above, the length can vary by resort, or even within resort (OKW, I'm looking at you). Everything beyond that (I believe) is a benefit that is provided to you by DVC as a perk of owning, and not as being included in the deed. So as mentioned, the ability to use your points outside of DVC resorts, they were able to not offer that to points purchased through resale. But they had the right to still offer that to new points bought from DVC directly. This does in theory give them the right to take away other perks that all members currently enjoy such as AP discounts, dining discounts, etc. But as of now, those are still extended to all owners. The only difference between resale and direct are the limitations on the different ways you can sue the points.

When you are looking, you will need to look at all the details. Most resales will include the per point asking price, the use month, available/coming points, and paid/owed dues. Some transactions will include points that the owner banked last year, (loaded) while others are sold after the owner already used this years points (stripped). Some owners will just accept that they paid the dues for the year, others will ask you to split it, or pay for it all. Totally depends on the transaction. The price can easily shift a few dollars per point depending on the status of the point and the dues. Long, term it makes no difference. Short term, you may either be saving a few hundred bucks if you can't travel for a while to buy one stripped, or saving a few hundred bucks if you can travel before the points expire to buy one loaded.

Disneykidder

You need to decide how often you'd like to travel and calculate your points that way. Each family has different needs and that's is what makes DVC so appealing because it really customizes your own vacations.

One thing to note is you cannot use you DVC through resale at other member destinations like going on a trip to Colorado. You can only use your resale points at a DVC resort in Disney.

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member
One thing to note is you cannot use you DVC through resale at other member destinations like going on a trip to Colorado. You can only use your resale points at a DVC resort in Disney.

I think that the restriction is for other Disney Resorts, Disney Cruise Line, and Adventures by Disney. I do not think it effects trades for other time shares outside of Disney. I could be wrong on this.

So if you plan on doing Disney only at DVC resorts, than I would go resell. I did this on the last 100 points I purchased.

stlbobby

Question on just a DVC from Disney. About how many points are good?

It will depend on your travel habits. If you are good with a studio, enjoy the older resorts, and can travel in the off seasons then you can really stretch points. If you want to stay with a family of 7 in BLT and can only go in June or July you will need more points. There isn't really a a set point, but no matter how many you buy you'll always want more. :)

pixargal

Cause right now I can get 110 points for $13,500 through DVCI
I just looked at one of the resellers website and they have a 115 point contract at Saratoga springs for $7475 plus closing and a 150 point Wilderness Lodge contract for $9195 plus closing. The prices may also be negotiable. Those are just a sample of what's out there. Decide on a resort, how many points you would need, and do a little research on some resale sites. Buying direct is a great option, but it is expensive.

ParentsOf4

A DVC resale is always significantly less expensive than a DVC membership purchased directly from Disney, sometimes less than half the price. There are many reputable websites reselling DVC memberships.

As already noted by pixargal, the major limitation is that you cannot use these points for things such as Disney Cruise Line or other special vacations offered by Disney. However, the most cost efficient use of points is to rent rooms at a DVC resort.

Purchasing directly from Disney is significantly faster and easier. Buying from Disney is sort of like being wined-and-dined. Buying through resale is more like a business transaction.

How many points you need depends on your vacation habits. For example, a Studio (basically a hotel room) at the Boardwalk Villas during the popular Food & Wine Festival in October is 78 points for one week. A 2-bedroom Villa at Bay Lake Tower overlooking the Magic Kingdom during Christmas is 616 points for one week.

When you purchase a membership, you purchase what's left on the contract. Membership at most DVC resorts end in 2042.

In addition to the purchase price, you have to pay annual maintenance fees. For example, at the Boardwalk Villas, this was $5.62/point in 2012.

The following is probably the best summary to making the DVC decision:

http://www.mousesavers.com/other-disney-vacations/disney-vacation-club/

I strongly suggest you read this.

Disneykidder

Do the math. Calculate purchase price over the years you have left on the property plus dues per point and you can see how much you will be spending per year. For example, OKW resale may be cheap but unless the seller bought more years, it is up in 2042 and the dues are at almost $7 per point.
Just do the math. Buying a resale on AKL or SSR may be better, although a few more dollars upfront. (will pay in the long run.)
Yes, as Trotsky said, DVC through Disney does have "other" places available besides BLT, AKL and Aulani...just ask. :)

stlbobby

Yes. :)

BOTH are a great option, if you get what you want, at the price you want. I would encourage you to look at BOTH resales AND "official" DVC. By the way - just because the resort you want to "home" at is officially sold out thru DVC? Call 'em anyway - tell 'em what you want. We bought into DVC at the Wilderness Lodge Villas, 275 points per year, RIGHT thru Disney, in June of this year.

That's because WDW has the right of first refusal so they can control the market to some extent. When they exercise that right they build up inventory.

LilWalt

Original Poster
Thanks for all the answers. We may just go with original DVC so we can use points for the cruise line and outside of Disney if we wanted to.

How much are additional points if you wanted to purchase additional points after you buy your membership?

dreamfinder

Thanks for all the answers. We may just go with original DVC so we can use points for the cruise line and outside of Disney if we wanted to.

How much are additional points if you wanted to purchase additional points after you buy your membership?

Adding points works the same exact way as buying new points. You can buy them from DVC direct at whatever price they are currently offering them. The one perk is point add ons can be bought in as few as 25, so you can buy a small contract instead of another big 100 point purchase. You can buy any additional points through resale as well. However the points must be sold as they were bought, deeds cannot be split up. Since most people bought 100+ point deeds, most ones available on resale are 100+ points. 25 and 50 point deeds tend to be rarer, and go very fast. The same point restrictions apply to any add on points that do for new points. So if you buy add ons through resale, those ones will not be eligible for cruises etc, while any you did buy through DVC would be.

As far as your question about how many points, that is really up to you and you travel needs/habits. If you can travel mid January, and fit into a studio, you an easily make do with 100 points for a week. But if you need to travel during the summer, and have a family of 6, so need a 2br, then you would need 275-300 for a week depending on your resort choice.

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member
The one thing about buying additional points is that if you buy them on the resell market I would suggest that you buy in the same use month. This way you can add them to you existing account with DVC as long as the same owners are on the deed. If they are a different use month or different owners it will cause you to have two accounts and may cause some problems with bookings when using points from two accounts for the same trip.

jim1051

Resale DVC cannot use the trade with RCI either. You can only use it at DVC resorts. If that's all you want to do it is a good deal. If you would like to go somewhere else or cruise etc, then buy from Disney

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom