DVC Resale questions

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member
Sorry but this is inaccurate. DVC resale points cannot be used to make reservations within Disney's Concierge Collection, the Disney Collection or Disney's Adventurer Collection. Resale points are valid for reservations at DVC resorts as well as RCI exchanges, Club Cordial, and Club Intrawest.

Yes, I looked it up again and ParentsOF4 is correct in saying you can use RCI exhanges, Club Cordial, and Club Intrawest.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Sorry but this is inaccurate. DVC resale points cannot be used to make reservations within Disney's Concierge Collection, the Disney Collection or Disney's Adventurer Collection. Resale points are valid for reservations at DVC resorts as well as RCI exchanges, Club Cordial, and Club Intrawest.

You are correct.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Question on just a DVC from Disney. About how many points are good?

Use the point charts to figure out about how many points you need for the room you want and the time of year you will travel. Factor in future use too. If you usually travel in Sept or Jan during non-busy times since you don't have kids now, but are planning to have kids in the future you may end up going a lot more during spring break and summer which costs more points. You can bank and borrow points too so if you plan on mostly staying in studios, but 1 year want to rent a 2BR to bring some friends or family you could bank or borrow points from the year before or year after.

As far as resale vs direct it's another personal preference. If you want to use DVC points for a cruise or staying in non-DVC hotel rooms on property then you have to buy direct. Once they put up the DVC at the Poly which is rumored to be coming next there really isn't a deluxe hotel on property that doesnt have DVC you could trade for (unless you consider Yacht Club a seperate resort from Beach Club). Buying direct is easier and if you have to finance the purchase may be more favorable (not sure on that anymore). The only real advantage to buying resale is the money you save. That can be really significant. As an example if you buy 160 points at BLT direct from Disney for $165 a point your cost is $26,400. If you buy 160 points resale for $90 per point your cost is $14,400 plus maybe $500 in closing costs (unless you ask the seller to pay them). You can save as much as $12,000 buying resale. That's a lot of cruises. If you use AK in the example the direct price is $135 and the resale Can be as low as $65 for a savings of as much as $11,000 on a 160 point contract.

Ralphlaw

I checked the Timeshare resale website to possibly gather up a few more points, and noticed that there were a ton for Saratoga Springs. Why is this? And if I buy at Boardwalk, will that only last a few more years as compared to, for example, Baylake Tower?

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I checked the Timeshare resale website to possibly gather up a few more points, and noticed that there were a ton for Saratoga Springs. Why is this? And if I buy at Boardwalk, will that only last a few more years as compared to, for example, Baylake Tower?

Boardwalk, Old Key West, Wilderness Lodge, and Beach Club expire in 2042. Saratoga Springs in 2054. Animal Kingdom 2047 and Bay lake tower 2060.

I never really noticed more Saratoga Springs being available over other options. Saratoga Springs has the most rooms of any DVC resort so that may be part of the reason. Here's the room breakdown, the number in () includes lock-offs as a studio and a 1BR.

AK: 458 (708)
BLT: 295 (428)
BCV: 208 (282)
BWV: 383 (532)
OKW: 531 (761)
SSR: 828 (1,260)
WLV: 136 (181)

Based on the number of rooms you should see tons of SSR and OKW and not as many WLV and BCV but it really all depends on who is selling when you look. Popularity plays in a lot too. BCV is one of the most popular and also the smallest so less resale available. BLT is one of the newest and isn't huge but does seem to have a decent number of points available resale. Not sure why that is.

dreamfinder

SSR just has more points available. Also, SSR and OKW just seem to be less desirable to some people. Those are the two resorts that WDW will usually offer large discounts on, or even upgrade people to for free from values if they overbook.

Boardwalk, Old Key West, Wilderness Lodge, and Beach Club expire in 2042. Saratoga Springs in 2054. Animal Kingdom 2047 and Bay lake tower 2060.

I believe AKL is good til 2057. Also note that some OKW is good til 2057 as well. The owners were given an option to buy an extension on their points.

Ralphlaw

Thanks GoofGoof for your HelpHelp. It was GreatGreat. You too Dreamfinder.

I'm disheartened to hear that my BLT points will expire when I'm 95 years old. What'll I do for my 96th birthday?

GoofGoof

Premium Member
SSR just has more points available. Also, SSR and OKW just seem to be less desirable to some people. Those are the two resorts that WDW will usually offer large discounts on, or even upgrade people to for free from values if they overbook.

I believe AKL is good til 2057. Also note that some OKW is good til 2057 as well. The owners were given an option to buy an extension on their points.

Good catch. It is 2057. Typo.

I have never stayed at SSR or OKW so I can't say for sure why they are less popular, but I think it has something to do with their overall size and the fact that they are not connected to any of the 4 parks through alternate transportation (monorail, boat, walking distance). I have heard others comment on both resorts being very spread out and the buses being a hassle. They both look nice from the pictures I have seen and I think the treehouse villas connected to SSR are pretty popular since you get 3 bedrooms for 2 bedroom points.

Ralphlaw

I own at BLT (it's my home resort), but I'm considering buying some cheaper resale points at Boardwalk or Beachclub.

1. Could I use these BCV and BWV points at BLT at the 11 month window?

2. Could I book at BCV or BWV at the 11 month window, at least for the BCV or BWV points?

3. Could I get around this by buying the resale points in my son's name (he's only 13 years old)?

In short, if I buy resale at a different resort, would I be stuck waiting for the 7 month window with those points? Thanks again, GoofGoof and Dreamfinder. You guys are great.

jim1051

I own at BLT (it's my home resort), but I'm considering buying some cheaper resale points at Boardwalk or Beachclub.

1. Could I use these BCV and BWV points at BLT at the 11 month window?

2. Could I book at BCV or BWV at the 11 month window, at least for the BCV or BWV points?

3. Could I get around this by buying the resale points in my son's name (he's only 13 years old)?

In short, if I buy resale at a different resort, would I be stuck waiting for the 7 month window with those points? Thanks again, GoofGoof and Dreamfinder. You guys are great.

WWWD

You can only book at the 11 month window with BLT points for a stay at BLT. The BCV/BWV points could be used to book for stays at those resorts at the 11 month window. For example if you have enough points for 5 days at BLT, you could book those days at the 11 month window. Then if you have enough points at BCV for 2 days you can book those at the 11 month window for a total of 7 days. At the seven month window you can then hope to switch the 2 days at BCV to BLT. Or, just enjoy two resorts in one trip.

If you think about it, if you were allowed to combine points from different resorts at the 11 months window, we would all buy just a few points at the "expensive" resorts and buy the bulk of our points from "cheaper" resorts.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom