DVC Question

1WDWFAN

Original Poster
I am thinking of becoming a DVC member and I have a question that I need an honest answer to. Can anyone fill me in as to how you are treated within WDW as a DVC customer, In comparison to the way you are treated as a non DVC customer??. I'm curious if you receive a different level of service from the cast members once you are an owner. Any insight that you can provide would be greatly appreciated....

Thanks,
Mike
"1WDWFAN" :rolleyes:

bgraham34

I am thinking of becoming a DVC member and I have a question that I need an honest answer to. Can anyone fill me in as to how you are treated within WDW as a DVC customer, In comparison to the way you are treated as a non DVC customer??. I'm curious if you receive a different level of service from the cast members once you are an owner. Any insight that you can provide would be greatly appreciated....

Thanks,
Mike

There is no difference in how you are treated good or bad. Some cast members like talking with DVC members and some dont care either way. Disney does not care who you are as long as you spend money while you are there and you will.

Phonedave

Thanks,
Mike

I would say there is a *slight* difference, very slight. I have noticed it at times, sort of. They are not going to bow down at your feet or anything, but somtimes they seem friendlier. The "welcome homes" also help to promote that image.

In the normal course of events, how would a CM know you are a DVC member anyway? Unless they see your room key or AP or DVC membership card, you look just like everyone else. Even staying on a DVC property does not mean you are a DVC member, you could be renting points or paying cash.

-dave

slappy magoo

Oh, the backrubs are just the best. I don't know why I didn't join sooner. :lookaroun

I've yet to see that much of a difference between being and not-being a DVC member. But generally speaking, I always thought most CMs had strong customer-service skills anyway. Granted, always some exceptions to the rule.

This might seem like a rude question, but was there something in particular you were looking for in terms of treatment?

1WDWFAN

Original Poster
I wasn't looking for anything in particular, I was more curious to know if they did anything "special" for DVC guests. I don't know, maybe a little bit of preferential treatment?. All in all, it seems like a good deal, but I need to look into it a bit further. I need to know how the points work when used at a non "DVC" resort. I always stay at the caribbean beach resort. I honestly do not want to stay at any other resort.

Thanks,
Mike
"1WDWFAN"

slappy magoo

I wasn't looking for anything in particular, I was more curious to know if they did anything "special" for DVC guests. I don't know, maybe a little bit of preferential treatment?. All in all, it seems like a good deal, but I need to look into it a bit further. I need to know how the points work when used at a non "DVC" resort. I always stay at the caribbean beach resort. I honestly do not want to stay at any other resort.

Thanks,
Mike
"1WDWFAN"

Eh, it'd be hard to offer preferential treatment for DVC members, first of all because there's really no way of knowing who's a member - not until the tattoo becomes mandatory. Even if you are staying at a DVC resort, you could be renting the room from WDW like any resort room, or you may have rented an actual DVC member's points.

And I mean this without trying to sound obnoxious at all. If Carribbean is the only place you want to stay, then DVC is not for you. Resorts that are either all DVC rooms or have a DVC wing, those rooms have assigned point values depending on room size, time of year, weekday or weekend, I'm sure you know all of this. But for resorts that aren't DVC or don't have DVC wings, you may still use your points, but not at any sort of money-saving rate.

Put it this way: Many DVC members will rent their points out if they know they can't use them one year. Nowadays, most people tend to get 11 bucks a point. If you're not a DVC member, renting points is an inexpensive way to get a great room at WDW, in a DVC resort, but if you tried to use those rented points to stay at the Carribbean, it would cost you about as much as paying WDW for the room in cash. Same is true for any moderate resort, or any deluxe that doesn't have a DVC wing like the Poly or the Yacht Club, or even the NON-DVC parts of Deluxe resorts with a DVC wing, like Wilderness Lodge. Plus, the point values at non-DVC resorts aren't fixed. At a DVC resort, if the point value for one type of room goes up for one day or season, it has to be balanced out by going down for another day or season. But all the other resorts, the point values can, and will, go up. It'll cost you 140 points to stay for a week in the Carribbean 1st week in December. THIS year. They haven't released what the point values will be next year, yet, possibly because they haven't determined what the rates for the rooms in cash will be for next year yet. If the room rates go up at a moderate, point values will go up. But not at a DVC resort. That same 140 points would let you stay at a Studio in the Boardwalk from 11/30 through 12/11, a much longer vacation, in a much nicer resort. It would get you the first 10 nights in December in a studio at the Animal Kingdom, WITH a Savannah view.

So, if you have no intention of staying anywhere other than the Carribbean, save your money.

Lynne M

I need to know how the points work when used at a non "DVC" resort. I always stay at the caribbean beach resort. I honestly do not want to stay at any other resort.

DVC isn't about special treatment, or perks, or even discounts. It's a timeshare, which means it's about the DVC villas. That's what you're buying....the right to stay in the villas, and that's all you're guaranteed in the contract. DVC is a way to prepay for your lodging, and it's only cost effective if you use it within the DVC system.

DVC does allow you to use points to stay at certain deluxes, and all moderates. But you won't want to. The point cost per night is very high, much higher than the DVC resorts. And most importantly, the point cost is NOT fixed, as it is for the DVC resorts. It can and does go up every year. There's also a $95 exchange fee for trading out of the system, which is what you'd be doing to stay at CBR. Also important is the fact that the right to use points to stay at non-DVC resorts is not guaranteed, and Disney could take it away at any time.

Sorry, but if you don't intend to stay in the villas, DVC would be a very expensive mistake.

TikiGod

Thanks,
Mike
"1WDWFAN"

DVC is not a wise choice if you only intend on stayng at CBR.

Pioneer Hall

Thanks,
Mike

Using points to stay at a non-DVC resort is not a good choice. You can search for the charts online, but the point costs are very high.

Phonedave

Just yesterday I had the bartender at the Kidani Village pool bar tell me "all you DVC people are crazy anyway"

We were talking about discounts and where TiW vs. AP vs. Visa Card vs. DVC can apply and she mentioned a certain discount and then said "but you already would know that, because all you DVC people are crazy anyway". Then I told her, if she did not want to deal with the crazies, she should ask for a transfer to the Pop Century pool bar. She then said "Oh no, I like it here, because I am crazy too"

So was that being treated differently ? :)

She also had a REALLY good idea. Disney should be able to load all of your applicable discounts onto your room key. They should be able to flag if you have TiW, an AP, the Disney Visa, etc. and then the card applies the applicable discount when you use it.

She said the only reason that they do not take TiW at the pool bar is because there is no Manager there to scan it. If it was on a room card media, they could swipe it, but since it's not, they can't give the discount.

-dave

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member
The only differences that I know about are are soom discounts that DVC members get (tours, some meals, season passes, etc.). Also when they are doing previews on some attactions, DVC members have been invite to attend them. I remember going to Toy Story during the month before it opened. I went several times because I could only take one guest and I had several members in my party that want to go.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom