DVC Pro and Cons?

correcaminos

This may be an online forum first, but I have been swayed! Seriously looking into it. Few questions, how important is picking the bright home resort. If say I went Saratoga cause it cheaper per point, can I use those points for say all? what are the restrictions?
You can, but unless you love SSR I do nothing suggest buying there. SSR is a huge percentage of the total WDW DVC resorts. You will be able to book there whenever there is no where else. I personally say buy where you might like to stay. Look for a good value but if you do not want to stay in SSR, don't buy there. BLT is s great value as well as OKW extended

nickys

Premium Member
This may be an online forum first, but I have been swayed! Seriously looking into it. Few questions, how important is picking the bright home resort. If say I went Saratoga cause it cheaper per point, can I use those points for say all? what are the restrictions?

You will be able to use those points to book anywhere at 7 months.

What some people do is book their home resort at 11 months (or sometime before the 7 month mark) so they know they have somewhere to stay. Then look to switch at 7 months. There is a slight risk to that of losing both, but not sure how often that happens.

So although I would still say "buy where you want to stay", maybe it's more a case of "buy where you'd be happy to stay". If you can plan a year ahead and book at 11 months then it's less of a problem.

Some room types like value rooms at AKL, studios at BW during F& W go very quickly and you'd be very unlikely to get them at 7 months, and even at 11 months they will go within minutes.

Standard view at BLT, GF in general (so few) and anything at GC can be hard to get at 7 months. There are other combinations too that will be hard to get at 7 months.

Also look at Maintenance fees in combination with the buy-in cost.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
You will be able to use those points to book anywhere at 7 months.

What some people do is book their home resort at 11 months (or sometime before the 7 month mark) so they know they have somewhere to stay. Then look to switch at 7 months. There is a slight risk to that of losing both, but not sure how often that happens.

So although I would still say "buy where you want to stay", maybe it's more a case of "buy where you'd be happy to stay". If you can plan a year ahead and book at 11 months then it's less of a problem.

Some room types like value rooms at AKL, studios at BW during F& W go very quickly and you'd be very unlikely to get them at 7 months, and even at 11 months they will go within minutes.

Standard view at BLT, GF in general (so few) and anything at GC can be hard to get at 7 months. There are other combinations too that will be hard to get at 7 months.

Also look at Maintenance fees in combination with the buy-in cost.
We are owners at SSR, and love the resort. We also book there prior to the 7 month window, and switch at 7. The trick once you check the Resort Availability site, is to call Member Services right at open time on the 7 month day. They can switch your reservation without losing the current one. Their system allows that, but the website would require you to cancel the first (unless you have enough points for both) before making the change, so yes, you could lose out.

dreamfinder

You get the 11 month booking window at your home resort, and 7 month windows anywhere else. So it ends up coming down to when you plan on traveling, and how much you care about the resort. If you plan on traveling during F&W, and want to be able to stay at BWV/BCV then you almost definitely need to own there, and plan on booking the minute the 11 month window opens up to get stays with weekend days. If you travel in say Jan or Sept with dates that are a bit flexible, and just want to stay on property and don't care what resort, then it doesn't really matter. Obviously room type matters as well. If you want to be able to get club level rooms at AKL, then you need to own there as those rooms book in minutes.

Owning at any DVC resort on WDW property ensures you at least get a WDW vacation. I can't advocate for the people who buy at Vero/Hilton Head for thoe point prices hoping they can then book at WDW, there is just the chance you won't be able to get it.

nickys

Premium Member
Owning at any DVC resort on WDW property ensures you at least get a WDW vacation. I can't advocate for the people who buy at Vero/Hilton Head for thoe point prices hoping they can then book at WDW, there is just the chance you won't be able to get it.

Well it doesn't guarantee anything. You still need to book, and if you leave it too late you may need to piece together your stay with nights here and there.

dreamfinder

Well it doesn't guarantee anything. You still need to book, and if you leave it too late you may need to piece together your stay with nights here and there.

Yes, you still need to book. But assuming you aren't a complete slacker, you have a vacation on property (perhaps not your desired) instead of having to trek from Vero Beach and back each day.

EOD K9

I purchased directly back in 2005 at SSR and paid if off early. While I like the resort, I enjoy staying at other resorts but they may not be available. That being said, at the seven month mark we have been lucky several times and/or got our waitlist. One of the other things that helps is the fact that generally we only stay for one night in a studio before and after a cruise. Since it is only one night and not a block, it is fairly easy to get Poly or GF or BW/BC or whatever. But as others have said, you are pretty much guaranteed a place to stay.

Club Cooloholic

For that 150 points, I'm assuming that means you are staying in a savannah view studio. If you go in value season for Disney hotels at the end of August, it is actually 123 points for a week in a savannah view studio, but we will use your 150 points. $16000 purchase price is $106 a point, which is a decent estimate.

Let's say you want to spend a week in a savannah view hotel room. The cheapest rack rate is $550, but let's say you get the 20% discount so it is $440 a night, which means you would be paying $3080 for the week. It's a little low since I didn't take into account the increase in weekend rates. $3080 is a savings of about $2066 off the annual dues of 1013.48 of 150 points. If you save $2066 every trip, that means you break even in your 8th year and start saving a lot of money after that. With ~40 years left on the contract, if you took that trip every year, you would come out ahead ~$66,000.

This math doesn't take into account increases in annual dues, but I'm assuming they go up at a similar rate as the hotel rack rates. Also, your break even point is a little lower if you drop it down to the 130 points you need for that time period (break even in year 7, with lifetime savings of $72,666).
Boys, I was not just saying I was swayed...I actually put in a bid on a DVC last night, lol, I of course start to freak out and think maybe I will have buyers remorse but I am like that with any purchase (truck, guinea pig, shoes)

nickys

Premium Member
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the DVC has expiring deeds, so you may not have anything to leave them

I may be forever 21 in my own mind lol, but with an expiry date of 2058 I can assure you (sadly) I would be able to hand it over to one of them by then, possibly a smidgeon earlier. The eldest is 22, and I wasn't a teenager when he was born...... !

Whether we do or not is another matter. I can foresee a time where we keep it on whilst they make use of it. Maybe rent points out and take Disney cruises instead, or if they added DVC to Paris that could work.

Phonedave

Me and my husband want to buy into DVC.we are from the UK and want to go at least once a year.

Issue I have though is that no matter where I go for advice, all I get is 'buy resale' otherwise it isn't worth it. 'It's much cheaper etc'

I get all the points and bonus' to buying resale, but not everyone wants too. Some people are happier buying direct.

Some people like to light cigars with $100 bills too. Whatever floats your boat.

Phonedave

I own at SSR - purchased direct a long time ago (I forget when) and recently added 50 more points at SSR resale.

For me the whole "buy where you want to stay" advice is a bunch of horse hockey, unless there is ONE resort that you really really really love and that is where you want to stay every time. Lets say you really like Boardwalk (like I do) but you also like AK and WL, and sometimes even BLT. If you buy at BW, yes, your BW points are going to get you into BW at 11 months, but they have just as much of a chance of getting you into AK, WL, and BLT as my SSR points do. But I am paying a lot less for my SSR points, year over year. Now if you want to go the route of buying a large contract at 3 or 4 different resorts, just you can book at 11 months there, then this whole discussion is moot.

About the only time I ever get "stuck" at SSR is during Food and WIne. EPCOT area resorts get snapped up right at 11 months. I have been lucky and snagged one from time to time, but most of the time they are not available.

NelleBelle

Boys, I was not just saying I was swayed...I actually put in a bid on a DVC last night, lol, I of course start to freak out and think maybe I will have buyers remorse but I am like that with any purchase (truck, guinea pig, shoes)
Cool! Which property did you go with? I'm always trying to get my DH to do this (closest I've come is buying into Aulani)!

Club Cooloholic

I own at SSR - purchased direct a long time ago (I forget when) and recently added 50 more points at SSR resale.

For me the whole "buy where you want to stay" advice is a bunch of horse hockey, unless there is ONE resort that you really really really love and that is where you want to stay every time. Lets say you really like Boardwalk (like I do) but you also like AK and WL, and sometimes even BLT. If you buy at BW, yes, your BW points are going to get you into BW at 11 months, but they have just as much of a chance of getting you into AK, WL, and BLT as my SSR points do. But I am paying a lot less for my SSR points, year over year. Now if you want to go the route of buying a large contract at 3 or 4 different resorts, just you can book at 11 months there, then this whole discussion is moot.

About the only time I ever get "stuck" at SSR is during Food and WIne. EPCOT area resorts get snapped up right at 11 months. I have been lucky and snagged one from time to time, but most of the time they are not available.
Yeah I might go that route. We love AKL, how hard is it usually to get that?

Phonedave

Yeah I might go that route. We love AKL, how hard is it usually to get that?

It depends. I hate to say that, but it depends on a lot of things.

First off, lets assume you are not going during the most busy times for DVC (which are NOT the most busy times for other rooms). DVC demand is high the beginning of December, the end of December/beginning of January, and Thanksgiving. Marathon weekend is always a bear, and Jersey Week can be tough too.

The second thing to consider is room type. For Animal Kingdom Villas in the Animal Kingdom Lodge Jambo House - that is hard to do, especially value rooms. Those are gone very quickly. There are only a limited number of rooms over there. There are a LOT more rooms in Kidani Village, and those are much easier to get. Studios go first. then 2BR, then 1 BR. Studios sleep the same as a 1BR but are much less points, that is why they go first.

So I guess my answer is, if you are looking for a value room in Jambo house during December, then you do need to buy at AKV. But if you are looking for a 1BR at Kidani in June, you have a pretty good shot at 7 months out.

In fact, I did book such a room a few years ago. I booked a 2BR lock off in Kidani for a week during June or July one year. I wanted a lock off because some people were leaving early, so I had the 2BR for 5 days, and then for the last two, it turned into a 1BR, just by locking the door. So yes, you can get into AKL with SSR points, but not in all rooms at all times. Me, I don't particularity care for AKL, so I have not tried to book there in years.

-dave

Last edited:

Dvcreservations

My family is looking into buying into DVC next year. We were wondering based on your own experience what are your pro's and con's of owning. Also, how often do you visit and where do you normally stay?

I would rent a few times before owning. Find your ideal spot.

As what one person loves, others hate. I love Saratoga — many differ!!! And that’s fine. But listen your heart first.

Club Cooloholic

I would rent a few times before owning. Find your ideal spot.

As what one person loves, others hate. I love Saratoga — many differ!!! And that’s fine. But listen your heart first.
I might rent first too, someone but in first.. Part of meant to jump feet first in, the other part likes the flexabilty we have now. We do lots of kinds of trips and actually prefer Disneyland(especially me as the planner) since it requires less planning and we never stay onsite there. But I like the idea of saving on vacations down the line...man it is tough

Dvcreservations

I might rent first too, someone but in first.. Part of meant to jump feet first in, the other part likes the flexabilty we have now. We do lots of kinds of trips and actually prefer Disneyland(especially me as the planner) since it requires less planning and we never stay onsite there. But I like the idea of saving on vacations down the line...man it is tough

I mean are you a pool person, do you want it quiet, do you like night life? How many years will the kids be around. These are all things that come into play. We've seen people intensionally HOP RESORTS and try 3-4 of them in a trip just to determine what may suite them best. That actually can be fun in many cases.

Moxie

We are looking at buying DVC points on the resale market. The blue card doesn't mean that much to us - I don't think that we would break even on 10% off of merchandise compared to what we would save on the resale market, plus if we really want a discount we can get the Disney credit card. We're just waiting and trying to save the money first so that we can pay for the points in full instead of financing.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom