Dvc or no dvc

dreamteacher

Original Poster
My wife does not want to do a DVC membership because we do the Dave Ramsey thing and he Is so against time shares, I want a DVC when we can afford it. What do you suggest those of you who do the Dave Ramsey. DVC or no DVC?

seascape

Dave Ramsey is right in saying live like no one else so you can live like no one else. That said in my opinion does not mean you can't buy a DVC which is a right to use timeshare. Your membership runs out. Buy resale and make buy at a reasonable price. I purchased Saratoga and am very happy and know it will expire but I will get my money's worth.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
My wife does not want to do a DVC membership because we do the Dave Ramsey thing and he Is so against time shares, I want a DVC when we can afford it. What do you suggest those of you do the Dave Ramsey. DVC or no DVC?
If you are in a position to do it financially, then do it.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Not sure who Dave Ramsey is or what he has to do with DVC. Based on the responses I assume he is some sort of religious spokesman type who is providing financial advice. Anyway, I always question anyone who encourages people to do things but has a financial stake in it himself. Don't spend money on unnecessary things...except keep buying my books;)

I guess you could choose to give the money you would spend on DVC to your church or the poor, but outside of that I don't think religion has much of an impact on buying into DVC or not. My personal opinion is you should only consider buying when you know that you can really afford it. Not just the upfront costs and the annual maintenance fees, but also the cost for meals, park tickets and transportation for an annual trip to WDW. If you don't plan on visiting WDW frequently because you are saving money to pay down debt then it's probably not a great idea.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Not sure who Dave Ramsey is or what he has to do with DVC. Based on the responses I assume he is some sort of religious spokesman type who is providing financial advice. Anyway, I always question anyone who encourages people to do things but has a financial stake in it himself. Don't spend money on unnecessary things...except keep buying my books;)
He actually has a quite large philanthropic organization. If you ever listened to him you would know.

seascape

I am surprised that not everyone knows who Dave Ramsey is but then I should not be because not everyone is into finance like I am. He is a financial advisor who believes in being debt free. This Happens To Be A Good Idea. Debt is not a good thing.

Anyway back to the sudject. Many here are right in saying don't buy if you have to go into debt to buy. I did not originally say that because I knew you would not do that if you were following the program. Go ahead and buy. DVC IS NOT THE SAME AS BUYING A STUPID TIMESHARE. DVC is different and does not lose all its value just buy resale and not directly from Disney.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
He actually has a quite large philanthropic organization. If you ever listened to him you would know.
I am surprised that not everyone knows who Dave Ramsey is
Sorry. I just never heard of the guy.

I assume his dislike for timeshares stems from the fact that a lot of people tend to finance the initial purchase price. This leaves them with debt and continuing maintenance fees plus an asset that is difficult or impossible to resell. DVC is more like prepaying for future hotel stays then a traditional timeshare. It's not an apples to apples comparison.

Tom

Beta Return
Sorry. I just never heard of the guy.

I assume his dislike for timeshares stems from the fact that a lot of people tend to finance the initial purchase price. This leaves them with debt and continuing maintenance fees plus an asset that is difficult or impossible to resell. DVC is more like prepaying for future hotel stays then a traditional timeshare. It's not an apples to apples comparison.

I had to Google him when I read the OP.

toolsnspools

I'm (we're) about to start the Dave Ramsey course next month. Tired of dropping a good portion of my income on interest every month. If I had to guess his response, it would be -

- Absolutely under no circumstances buy on credit.
- Make sure you won't have to go into debt to use it every year. Think in advance of the cost of plane tickets, food, park tickets, etc.
- Look for a bargain on resale
- It is a luxury purchase. Treat this decision as you would a new boat.

His aversion to timeshares is probably based on the number of timeshares currently selling for $.01 on eBay. I don't see him recommending a $10,000 (or more) investment in something that will soon be worth $.01. So far, I don't see DVC heading in that direction. I don't dismiss the fact that it could happen to DVC though. Then again, you don't purchase a boat hoping that it will increase in value either...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom