Dumbo Double Dare

LindsayLoves

Original Poster
New race alert!! Disneyland is going to have its own version of the Goofy Challenge. From rundisney:

If you think that a half marathon is just a walk in the park, put your endurance to the test and compete in the all-new Dumbo Double Dare! A 19.3-mile adventure held over two days, participants will run the Disneyland® 10K on Saturday, followed by the Disneyland® Half Marathon on Sunday. If you finish both races within the pacing requirements, you will be awarded the all-new Dumbo Double Dare medal in addition to your Half Marathon and 10K finisher medals.

You must register for the Dumbo Double Dare to receive the Dumbo medal upon completion of both races within the pacing requirements.

Here is the youtube package they put together to announce the 10k.

Here's all the registration info for those interested. Registration opens on January 22.

Entry Fees and Deadlines
Disneyland® Half Marathon
  • $175 by February 19, 2013
  • $190 between February 20 and April 16, 2013
  • $205 on or after April 17, 2013

Disneyland® 10K
  • $95 by February 19, 2013
  • $110 between February 20 and April 16, 2013
  • $125 on or after April 17, 2013

Dumbo Double Dare
  • $280 by February 19, 2013
  • $300 between February 20 and April 16, 2013
  • $320 on or after April 17, 2013

Disneyland® Family Fun Run 5K
  • $65 per participant

runDisney Kids Races
  • $20 per child

dreamfinder

Srsly? The year after I convinced my DW to go out to DLR for the 1/2 and to get the Coast to Coast they go and announce this? Gosh darn it. Highly doubt I can convince her to do it again. But a Dumbo medal? Has the potential to be awesome.

Interesting how its cheaper initially to register for them separately, but it then becomes the same cost.

LindsayLoves

Original Poster
I would love to get my C2C this year and if I am flying across the country I might as well do the whole thing. Which would give me three pieces of hardware. Also getting in on an inaugural Disney race, that has some cache right there.

Some concerns I have heard:
- How is the 10k route going to differ from the 1/2 route? Will you just be running a truncated version of the 1/2.
- That's a lot of $$ a 10k and a Half which has you spending more time on the streets on Anaheim than in the parks. Not quite the same Disney experience as the Goofy Challenge.

Mad Stitch

Wow, this came out of nowhere unless I missed the tease about a new race/medal. I guess you could potentially come home with 4 medals from that weekend; 10k, half, Dumbo, CtC.

Srsly? The year after I convinced my DW to go out to DLR for the 1/2 and to get the Coast to Coast they go and announce this? Gosh darn it. Highly doubt I can convince her to do it again. But a Dumbo medal? Has the potential to be awesome.

I second this!

Mad Stitch

Some concerns I have heard:
- How is the 10k route going to differ from the 1/2 route? Will you just be running a truncated version of the 1/2.
- That's a lot of $$ a 10k and a Half which has you spending more time on the streets on Anaheim than in the parks. Not quite the same Disney experience as the Goofy Challenge.

The runDisney web site says that the 10k will continue where the 5k finishes. That's interesting. The 5k is within DLR property. I bet if they snake the route around the resorts and through the parks more they may be able to do 6.2 all on DLR property. Or at worst make use of the perimeter roads around DLR so that you are always within sight of DLR.

Mad Stitch

5 if you do the 5k. Major medal potential here.

Can you do both 5k and 10k? Sounds to me like the 5k and 10k start at the same time and place. At the 3.1 mile marker the 5k turns towards the finish while the 10k continues for another 3.1 miles. Just my opinion though. :confused:

LindsayLoves

Original Poster
Hmm its a little confusing because the 5k is not timed and starts :45 minutes before the 10k. Is that how long they give people to make it off the course? It doesn't seem like a long enough time for a 'family fun run'.

Mad Stitch

Yeah on second thought it sounds like they start the 5k, then 45 min. later the 10k follows them. So maybe when the 5k is over you could hoof it back to the start for the 10k?

Here is some more interesting wording. The 5k is listed as receiving a “finisher medallion” (the rubber) and the 10k is a “finisher medal” (bling).

dreamfinder

Hmm its a little confusing because the 5k is not timed and starts :45 minutes before the 10k. Is that how long they give people to make it off the course? It doesn't seem like a long enough time for a 'family fun run'.

I'd say that depends on how they do the start. If it is en masse like some have been, its 3 (approx) 15 min miles, which is pretty much what they tell you to shoot for. If its a staggered start like others have been, then the last group might not even be going til 15 mins later. But assuming a mass start, 5 mins to cross the line, 20 min walking pace, you would be 2 miles in when the 10k starts. Then assuming even a speedster runs the 10k, 5 min mile, they would catch them about 2.75ish. I could say its possible..... I'd love to run a 5k, get in line again, then run a 10k. Sounds like fun to me.

Texas84

The 10K goes out into Anaheim so there will probably be a big sign with yelling volunteers where the two courses split. I've done a lot of 10Ks like that where they also have a 5K.

Texas84

Totally in for this! Dumbo Double Dare here I come! I love that it's an inaugural race and the fact that I'll run 2 races and get 4 medals (Dumbo, Half, 10k, and C2C), I like that ratio :)
Wow, just had a 'Duh' moment. I can get a second C2C. That would be ridiculous. Thanks for the reminder!

Katherine

Btw, does anyone know how quickly the race sold out last year? I'm trying to recruit some friends to come down with me and run one or more of the races and I'm trying to give them a sense of how long they have to contemplate it. Thanks!

LindsayLoves

Original Poster
They said it sold out in about a month from registration opening. So not too long for them to think about it/come to their senses. I *really* want to get my C2C this year and adding the DDD to it seems logical!

LindsayLoves

Original Poster
34 days, the fastest sell out ever. I would really like to do this but I was just there for the 2012 race. I think I'd rather go fory my ToT or W&D medal.

I like your race priorities, I might have to make the push for Disneyland this year because of the C2C option. I plan to do NYC in 2014 so it would be hard to fit in two Disney races that year.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom