Duffy update from the Passholder event - plus construction photos from the new area

muteki

I see what you did there...:zipit:

Thanks for the pictures. Should we be expecting something similar to the Donald M&G just recently built at Mexico?

How does Duffy fit into Epcot? I mean whats the backstory for his placement at world showcase.
His backstory is the same as in Tokyo.

Mickey was about to sail around the world so Minnie made him a little teddy bear companion. There was a secret message from Minnie enclosed in a bottle around his neck. Mickey stuffed him into his duffel bag and said bye to Minnie. Mickey named him Duffy because he was in the duffel bag. Then Mickey had a dream that Duffy opened the message and read it to him and he was dressed in a sailor outfit. When Mickey woke up Duffy was dressed as a sailor and the message wasn't in the bottle anymore.

When Mickey returned home and told all of his friends they all wanted Duffy bears. So now all of the Disney characters love him and you should, too!

hpyhnt 1000

Mickey was about to sail around the world so Minnie made him a little teddy bear companion. There was a secret message from Minnie enclosed in a bottle around his neck. Mickey stuffed him into his duffel bag and said bye to Minnie. Mickey named him Duffy because he was in the duffel bag. Then Mickey had a dream that Duffy opened the message and read it to him and he was dressed in a sailor outfit. When Mickey woke up Duffy was dressed as a sailor and the message wasn't in the bottle anymore.

When Mickey returned home and told all of his friends they all wanted Duffy bears. So now all of the Disney characters love him and you should, too!

Ooooookay. So this fits into World Showcase because the backstory involves Mickey sailing around the world and, since Duffy was with him, Duffy is symbolic of that traveling spirit.

Huh... :shrug:

TravisMT81

Thanks for writing it out, so I didn't have to. LoL!

There was a manager this morning on a segway holding a Duffy doll. who said they were told Figment is being phased out for Duffy. who knows anymore with Disney.

jme

So, this seems like a ridiculous merchandising ploy to me. A pretty blatant one. He get's his own meet and greet spot, his own dedicated gift shop, photo spots at the Kidcot locations, Country specific merch around WC, his own Vinylmation line, Pin trading, resort-wide cartoon, and float in the Christmas parade.

I can't think of another character with that much focus, especially when they aren't even from an established franchise. Basically they are taking a teddy bear and saying "He must be popular look at all the stuff they have for him" to make it a self-fulfilling prophesy.

And to what end? This is just merchandise created for the sake of selling merchandise. I'm pretty disappointed with this move.

Why go full-force, so aggressively without even introducing him to the US market first?

aladdin2007

So, this seems like a ridiculous merchandising ploy to me. A pretty blatant one. He get's his own meet and greet spot, his own dedicated gift shop, photo spots at the Kidcot locations, Country specific merch around WC, his own Vinylmation line, Pin trading, resort-wide cartoon, and float in the Christmas parade.

I can't think of another character with that much focus, especially when they aren't even from an established franchise. Basically they are taking a teddy bear and saying "He must be popular look at all the stuff they have for him" to make it a self-fulfilling prophesy.

And to what end? This is just merchandise created for the sake of selling merchandise. I'm pretty disappointed with this move.

Why go full-force, so aggressively without even introducing him to the US market first?

Not to mention more kiddyfying at Epcot.

Covnut

Ha, this so quick to say "fail" thing is quite immature. Why does everyone care so much that he is just a merchandise ploy? He is not just coming out of nowhere. He is EXTREMELY popular in Tokyo Disney and I think it's truly hard to understand until you visit Tokyo. He won't be in anyones way or make a major impact to any of the parks except for a photo location, meet and greets, and being sold in SPECIFIC stores. (1 park)

This guy is almost as popular if not more than Mickey in Tokyo. Can you really blame them for wanting to bring him over to the states? So much money to be made, it really makes a ton of sense. I really hate to tell you this little secret, but Disney is a company and even Walt wanted to make money. You need to make money to be successful. Wait till you see all the Japanese tourist dressing up their Duffy's and putting them up on benches and railings to take photos with them.

Remember, they are actually rolling him out slowly, but have a lot of plans for him. First he is available. (ONLY IN 1 or 2 STORES) Then a photo location. Then getting promoted in December. If you were on these boards, would you really even notice?

Tigger1988

I don't get how people can still get so bent out of shape over obvious marketing ploys. It's one of the things Disney does best. Do you think they started offering pins because they thought they looked nice? or because they could encourage trading by making every CM wear them, holding "trading nights", and opening a pin unique store (in addition to selling them everywhere on property)...all while charging $8+ for each shiny piece of metal. 10 years later and Disney is still cashing in on the pins they told the public they just "had to have!!"

Disney is in the business to sell things (be it park tickets, films, stuffed bears...the list goes on), if you don't like what they're selling...don't buy it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom