Duffy Price?

sweetpee_1993

The cost of the bear isn't the point.
The point is that while you can barely find any ride-specific or land-specific merchandise at WDW, they think it's ok to just make up a random bear character which has no real Disney history, and convince people that it's a "Disney bear" and everyone should run out and get one.
Duffy is meaningless as a Disney character, he hasn't "earned" the attention he is getting. It's all PR and marketing attempting to reach into guests' and fans' pockets.
Ya'll buy a Mickey or Minnie and put a 40th shirt on them. THAT would mean something.

I too am sickened by the decline & disappearance of resort & ride-specific merch along with the decline of overall quality. That's a topic aside from Duffy. Believe me, even with the Duffy stuff I purchased I don't spend anywhere near what I used to or otherwise would if there was stuff worth buying. Still, I don't see hating a Teddy bear as the answer. Don't buy the generic shirts & items that have replaced the old specific stuff and send letters to the powers that be.

jjharvpro

I'd prefer a Duffy w/ 40th anniversary sweatshirt and a WDW 40th Anniversary pin. A 40th shirt would be awesome if they have it. Hope they do by March.

sweetpee_1993

Also worth noting, if you look at the US parks Duffy merchandise vs. The stuff solid in Tokyo there's a world of difference. I think quality & variety are a US parks issue overall. This is why I bought the bears I wanted (each has a purpose) but none of the other stuff like the outfits. I'll either pay the premium for Tokyo stuff on eBay or make my own. 1 of the 2 bears I purchased is to be disassembled & used as a pattern to produce a better quality bear for myself!

JustInTime

Also worth noting, if you look at the US parks Duffy merchandise vs. The stuff solid in Tokyo there's a world of difference. I think quality & variety are a US parks issue overall. This is why I bought the bears I wanted (each has a purpose) but none of the other stuff like the outfits. I'll either pay the premium for Tokyo stuff on eBay or make my own. 1 of the 2 bears I purchased is to be disassembled & used as a pattern to produce a better quality bear for myself!

The outfits aren't bad at all. I have heard the quality is about the same as japan's if only slightly less. But they seem to make everything better. My sailor outfit is VERY nice though. It feels offical.

sweetpee_1993

The outfits aren't bad at all. I have heard the quality is about the same as japan's if only slightly less. But they seem to make everything better. My sailor outfit is VERY nice though. It feels offical.

I dunno. The stuff I see on eBay looks like it's more detailed to me. The sailor outfit is very cute. I saw that one and the little baseball-style jersey all over. I only saw the country-specific outfits in 1 display tucked away out of easy sight in the Duffy shop. I guess that's why I was disappointed. I think if they're gonna sell him in the resorts they should have resort-specific items for him. If he's gonna be in parks other than Epcot he should have items specific for those parks and/or areas of said parks. It'd also be nice if they had more accessories like ears hats, pin lanyards, pajamas, scarves, etc. for Duffy to collect along the way. It'd make him more a part of the entire adventure vs. just an object to redress in World Showcase. Ya know?

Either way, I love Duffy. I'm glad I'm not the only one!

Photo0110FourBySix.jpg

wtma

who is duffy??????

Our 9 year old daughter got Duffy and a sailor suit for him for Christmas (we were just there three weeks ago)...he hasn't left her side since. Amazing marketing....
Please post a photo of duffy as I have no idea who or wot he is.

ABigBrassBand

Original Poster
I dunno. The stuff I see on eBay looks like it's more detailed to me. The sailor outfit is very cute. I saw that one and the little baseball-style jersey all over. I only saw the country-specific outfits in 1 display tucked away out of easy sight in the Duffy shop. I guess that's why I was disappointed. I think if they're gonna sell him in the resorts they should have resort-specific items for him. If he's gonna be in parks other than Epcot he should have items specific for those parks and/or areas of said parks. It'd also be nice if they had more accessories like ears hats, pin lanyards, pajamas, scarves, etc. for Duffy to collect along the way. It'd make him more a part of the entire adventure vs. just an object to redress in World Showcase. Ya know?

Either way, I love Duffy. I'm glad I'm not the only one!

Photo0110FourBySix.jpg
Is that the 12" in the photo?
Please post a photo of duffy as I have no idea who or wot he is.
Look above.

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
I'm kind of excited to get a 12" Duffy in the 40th anniversary hoody when I visit in February. i want to take pictures of him all around WDW. It'll be a fun photo project.

awalkinthepark

My mother had a Duffy back when they were still called I believe 'Disney Bear' ...and that was 10+ years ago..she handed it off to my kids 3 or so years ago and it was instant obsession my eldest named him 'Mickey Mouse':rolleyes:....the dogs got a hold of 'Mickey Mouse' and it was a total meltdown for weeks...but I did find a smaller version on the Disney Wonder in May of 2009 wearing a Disney Cruise t-shirt for $15-$20 and I grabbed him...he could have cost $50 I would have still paid happily....I have to save that stupid bear from the dogs daily...I am thrilled to have Duffy around..last time the Cruise Bear was MIA ...the kids were demanding to go on another cruise to replace him(smart kids).....I'm not sure if I would consider Duffy the new profit bear....if anything I think it took Disney a very long time to figure out what they had...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom