Drowning at AK Lodge?

ABundy

Original Poster
My family and I stayed at the AK Lodge from 6-2 to 6-9. On Sat., 6-7 an 8 yr old boy was pulled from the pool by his mother. The lifeguards were not on duty at the time but were having CPR training in another section of the pool. They worked on the boy for at least 30 min. before paramedics arrived. They did get his heart beating but he wasn't breathing on his own when they took him away. The last I heard about him was on the news the next day when they said he was in critical condition.
I would appreciate any information that I could get about the boy. Especially how he ended up floating in the pool with other people around. Thank you

DanStat

That's really sad.

I really don't know where you could find more information, except going to one of the local Orlando TV Station's websites, and do a search.

ToTBellHop

how could that be grounds for a lawsuit if he was in there when lifeguards weren't on duty. As far as I know, when lifeguards are not on duty, the pools are either closed or in "take care of yourself" mode...and this is all clearly posted on signs.

pheneix

It depends on whether or not the training was during schedluled lifeguard hours or not. If they were training after-hours, then Disney is all-clear. However, if they were doing this training in the middle of the day (and I somehow get the feeling they were), then the parents of the kid definitely have a case.

TravisMT81

not to be harsh, but I think if the kid is not a good swimmer the parents should be watching or in the pool with him.

bamboo7

Originally posted by TravisM
not to be harsh, but I think if the kid is not a good swimmer the parents should be watching or in the pool with him.

i fully agree, but i don't think that the legal system would see it our way. the system works?

figmentmom

I certainly hope the little boy has recovered now, and the whole incident is just a terrifying memory for the family.

Did this story ever appear in the Orlando Sentinel?

CmdrTostada

The parents cant always be blamed. Sometime even though a kid is a good swimmer they can drown. But hopefully it doesnt lead to a law suit.

lifeguard1020

Time for my two cents...

Well, I've been a lifeguard with Ellis & Associates for more than five years now...(Ellis is the company that WDW employs by the way)...and have trained with Jeff Ellis himself...let me just say...the lifeguards down there are trained by some of the best in the world...
One of my good friends actually got called down there to help with the investigation of the incident...the thing is tho, if the lifeguards weren't on duty, it's all on disney...
I've never stayed at the AKL before so I'm not too sure what the pool is like there...(I've stayed at the Old Key West since it opened)...but I've never seen a lifeguard on duty there...the only places I remember EVEr seeing guards on duty were at the waterparks, and at the GF main pool...
Part of the Ellis program is the required In-Service training you have to do every month...During this training, the guards are not on duty...just training...
I thikn I heard it best from Jeff Ellis himself, "Lifeguards are not babysitters...They are there to respond in the event of an emergency, not to watch your kid..."

I'd love to help anyoen with any questions regarding the lifeguards down at WDW...It is what I do for a living anyways...

Dan---1020

Invero

Re: Time for my two cents...

Originally posted by lifeguard1020
Well, I've been a lifeguard with Ellis & Associates for more than five years now...(Ellis is the company that WDW employs by the way)...and have trained with Jeff Ellis himself...let me just say...the lifeguards down there are trained by some of the best in the world...

Indeed... I remember reading a bunch of articles congratulating some of the WDW Lifeguards for ranking among the best out there, thanks to the wonderful training program they receive.

tybroid59

This is so sad.....no one is really to blame ....blame doesnt do anyone any good ....8 yr old boys are so confident it does them no good .
In the uk last year 10 children died of drowning in pools....most were boys aged between 8 and 10 .................

I hope he is ok ..children can recover from this but it will be touch and go .

The Mom

Premium Member
Originally posted by ABundy

I would appreciate any information that I could get about the boy. Especially how he ended up floating in the pool with other people around. Thank you

This is an all too common scenerio! My sister-in-law remembers arriving at a poolside party with children in attendence, and noting a child struggling in the pool.Her parents, and many other adults, were all standing around chatting...each of them believing that someone else was keeping an eye on the children.

My children were swimmimng before they were potty trained, but I never let them swim alone until age 14 or so...and only at a life-guarded pool! (which means I'm still keeping an eagle eye on the youngest)

I've seen children jump on others and "hold" them under; I've also seen people unexpectedly knocked into the water. Parents will sometimes "toss" children around, not checking for other swimmers. Even if you're a good swimmer, it takes a few seconds to react to someone landing on you, nevermind someone who's a little shaky! Some parents become too dependent on "floaties" and life jackets, forgetting that they allow children to get into places where they don't belong. As posted, lifeguards are not babysitters...you wouldn't let your children cross a major highway unattended, even in a crosswalk...whatever makes you think a pool is safer?

Everytime I've stayed at AKL there have been lifeguards on duty between 10 - 4 or so. In the evening, it was clearly posted that you're on your own.

I pray that the child involved will recover completely. Let it be a warning to us all...it's better to be inconvenienced if it means your children are safe! :)

yensid354

Pool Safety

Whenever you swim, don't swim alone!

You may be on vacation, or at home, but never swim alone. It only takes seconds to get into trouble, and even though most of the pools @ WDW are less than 6 feet deep, you can drown in just inches of water!

We never allow our children to swim unsupervised. Supervision means watching them! Not reading a book, not chatting with a friend, but watching them!

We swim with our children all the time, and even though both are accomplished swimmers, we do not take unnecessary chances!

Lets hope that the boy recovers and that he and his parents learn a lesson, hard as it may be.

NowInc

....and exactly how would it be DISNEYS fault for a child being unsupervised in a pool on "off duty" hours...who obviously couldnt swim???

Sorry...if they DO sue Disney..they dont have much of a case...Disney cant control EVERY guest at all times....and even if it WAS on duty hours...its not like the lifeguards didnt try and help...

leeocean

Does SWIM AT YOUR OWN RISK mean anything? I don't care how good of a swimmer this kid was. His parents should have been watching him. End of story.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom