Rumor Dropping the "Walt" from "Walt Disney World"

Disnutz311

Disney World Purist
Is anybody from here going to D23? Can we dismiss the brainwashing and butterflies and give real reactions to news we don't like? Such as this one. Don't clap and even maybe a boo or two to tell them live how a loot of us feel? I wish I could be there to lead the charge, but this company is getting more and more un-magical by the minute.

VJ

Original Poster
End off the 50th anniversary with a giant "screw you" to the guy whose shoulders they're standing on.

That sounds sadly believable.
And they could say it was what Walt would have wanted - it was only after he died that Roy added the "Walt".

TheMaxRebo

Personally against this as I know Roy was adamant about naming it Walt Disney World (it was to be Disney World until he stepped in)

And I know Walt's family doesn't want Walt to just be thought of as a corporate made up icon, but a real person.

Based based on a ton of recent decisions it is clear they don't ask me my opinion

gerarar

Premium Member
So are they too just gonna stop referring to "Walt" in everything they do now?

It seems like with every new reveal, they make some arbitrary connection to "Walt" and his vision. It only really has picked up in recent years (to the point where it's meme'd and an annoyance to many) as more and more additions/projects get announced.

Hard to believe all of that is gonna magically stop, especially now lol.

I rarely leave a comment in "spicy" threads like this, but this is just ridiculous, imo haha.

Last edited:

Disney Glimpses

Why not both? Coca-Cola is officially referred to as both Coca-Cola and Coke. It seems like it would be possible to officially adopt the “Disneyworld” nomenclature for some sort of branding nonsense (complete with the generic logotype used in Paris and China) while the name is technically still Walt Disney World, slowly relegated to fewer and fewer uses.
This is my first thought. That they'd simply lean on it as a secondary brand for marketing purposes.

hopemax

How much money would they save by dropping the 4 letter prefix and the space before Disney World? Seems like this is the province and wisdom of the bean counter brigade.

Is it conceivable that dropping the "Walt" part is just a prelude to making the parks name more generic so that they can be sold off piecemeal without the baggage of containing an individualized name?

Stupid is as stupid does.
Well, they did do that whole thing where they dropped the "The" from "The Disney Channel" and later "The Disney Store."

Californian Elitist

They dropped “Walt” from “Walt Disney Pictures” years ago. Now it’s just “Disney.” So this rumor isn’t too far-fetched.

C357A01A-C753-40C3-B517-40E2FCDF13AD.jpeg

2F0B4822-E34C-4C43-951E-A77A72546E96.jpeg

Smiley/OCD

The people I know who do talk about Disney parks drop the Walt. I remember first visit we had it set as a surprise for DD9. Had a "pirate" at the St. Augustine Pirate museum hand her a map. He showed it to her and showed where it lead to "DisneyLAND". :facepalm:Apparently even in the same state people get them mixed up already.
I just refer to it as "We're going to Disney"...so while we're rolling, save $$ by dropping another word and just call it Disney! lol

Lilofan

Is anybody from here going to D23? Can we dismiss the brainwashing and butterflies and give real reactions to news we don't like? Such as this one. Don't clap and even maybe a boo or two to tell them live how a loot of us feel? I wish I could be there to lead the charge, but this company is getting more and more un-magical by the minute.
Last I heard the event is sold out. If it is so un magical , D23 ticket sales say otherwise, tickets sold out in 10 minutes when going on sale.

Last edited:

vikescaper

"Ride the movies" at Disney Orlando Resort!
Building off of this, they could rename the entire resort Disney Orlando Resort. Magic Kingdom would become Disney World, EPCOT would be Disney EPCOT Park, Disney’s Hollywood Studios would become Disney Hollywood Studios Park and Animal Kingdom would be Disney Animal Kingdom Park. 🤣

vikescaper

I’ll be there and I will happily boo during the parks presentation!

FigmentForever96

For a company that loves to milk and even sometimes misuse the Walt legacy (especially any of his quotes), no way I’d see this happening. If anything I’d imagine they’d somehow add more Walt Disney to the name like “Disney, Walt Disney Walt Disney World” 😂

In other news, some of y’all got the tin foil hats screwed on super tight tonight.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom