Rumor Dropping the "Walt" from "Walt Disney World"

TheGuyThatMakesSwords

Let me just start out by saying this is a rumor from Jim Hill's Disney Dish podcast and should be taken with a very big spoonful of salt (that doesn't help the medicine go down at all).

If this rumor is to be believed, Bob Chapek and Josh D'Amaro plan to announce that "Walt Disney World" will become "Disney World" at D23 Expo next month.
I think it's wonderful. The real "Walt" should not be associated with the current mess :mad:.

Disstevefan1

I heard they were going to replace "Walt Disney World" with "Woke Disney World"
Sorry.... I couldn't help it 🤣
How about "Walled Disney World" 🤣
I kill myself LOL, 🤣

Seriously, this would be terrible. I think WDW was originally supposed to be called Disney World and Walt's brother specifically added Walt's name as a tribute.

That said, like many have said, I wouldn't be surprised.

You would think they would avoid doing this because MONEY! its gonna cost A LOT to re brand everywhere.

StarshipDisney

I think it is probably appropriate. Bean Counter Chapek is doing everything he can to destroy Walt's dream. So, he may as well stop the association.

Disney has been going to crap since COVID. Just another episode in the ongoing saga: "Bean Counter Chapek strikes again."

brb1006

They'd have to redo all the audio that says Walt Disney World too.

Doesn't the monorail say it?

I mean, I suppose it wouldn't be too hard to fix audio, but that's just the start.
Just seems like something that's going to cause a lot of trouble and dissent for little gain.
I can't imagine they would be expecting a good reaction to this announcement at D23. 😂
Editing out Jack Wagner saying "Walt" in Walt Disney World should be considered a crime in the Disney Community.

MaryJaneP

How much money would they save by dropping the 4 letter prefix and the space before Disney World? Seems like this is the province and wisdom of the bean counter brigade.

Is it conceivable that dropping the "Walt" part is just a prelude to making the parks name more generic so that they can be sold off piecemeal without the baggage of containing an individualized name?

Stupid is as stupid does.

PizzaPlanet

So much money would be wasted on rebranding. And everyone knows the story of how they named it as a tribute after Walt’s death. Kinda hard to get around that one.

But if they did this how would they sell retro merchandise? And what about all of the people who suddenly have outdated Tshirts?

John park hopper

So much money would be wasted on rebranding. And everyone knows the story of how they named it as a tribute after Walt’s death. Kinda hard to get around that one.

But if they did this how would they sell retro merchandise? And what about all of the people who suddenly have outdated Tshirts?
The old merchandize with Walt's name would become collectors items and be worth big tss. Just remember popcorn bucks

lazyboy97o

Why not both? Coca-Cola is officially referred to as both Coca-Cola and Coke. It seems like it would be possible to officially adopt the “Disneyworld” nomenclature for some sort of branding nonsense (complete with the generic logotype used in Paris and China) while the name is technically still Walt Disney World, slowly relegated to fewer and fewer uses.

esskay

Nah can't see it. As already mentioned why would you do that. They already refer to it as 'Disney World' in a lot of places (the UK site for example - waltdisneyworld.co.uk redirects to disney.co.uk, and instead you have to go to disneyworld.co.uk) and have done for years but to come out and say they are dropping it officially would be suicide, especially announcing it in front of a bunch of die hard fans.

Also the source for this is basically nonexistant. Some random podcast with zero track record.

Patcheslee

Nah can't see it. As already mentioned why would you do that. They already refer to it as 'Disney World' in a lot of places (the UK site for example - waltdisneyworld.co.uk redirects to disney.co.uk, and instead you have to go to disneyworld.co.uk) and have done for years but to come out and say they are dropping it officially would be suicide, especially announcing it in front of a bunch of die hard fans.

Also the source for this is basically nonexistant. Some random podcast with zero track record.
The people I know who do talk about Disney parks drop the Walt. I remember first visit we had it set as a surprise for DD9. Had a "pirate" at the St. Augustine Pirate museum hand her a map. He showed it to her and showed where it lead to "DisneyLAND". :facepalm:Apparently even in the same state people get them mixed up already.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom