Rumor Dropping the "Walt" from "Walt Disney World"

lazyboy97o

That said, however, Roy did not create the theme park concept and, in fact, noted in many places, was strongly against it when it came to Disneyland,
People say this but completely ignore the role he played in making it happen. The Studio wasn’t flush with cash to invest into Disneyland. Roy was very much involved in getting financing together for Disneyland, Inc. That first drawing of Disneyland done by Herb Ryman was for Roy, so he could have a visual to show bankers while seeking financing for the project.

Goofyernmost

People say this but completely ignore the role he played in making it happen. The Studio wasn’t flush with cash to invest into Disneyland. Roy was very much involved in getting financing together for Disneyland, Inc. That first drawing of Disneyland done by Herb Ryman was for Roy, so he could have a visual to show bankers while seeking financing for the project.
What I said implied the he did indeed come to support Walt, but as a human I sincerely think that he still had doubts even after he fell in line and did what he needed to do to help. That said, however, it appears that Walt himself was more instrumental in obtaining financing for the park by his deal with ABC than Roy was. As the financial officer of the company he was afraid that this was going to bring the Disney Company to its knees and it was pure respect for Walt's abilities that brought him around on many of Walt's projects.

Rich Brownn

Walty wanted a theme park, but not a copy of Disneyland. I know people who were there. Make what you want of it. I'm out of this discussion

LittleBuford

This week’s episode of the DIS Unplugged described Epcot’s 40th anniversary ceremony and mentioned a segment with footage of Walt, which can be seen in the highlights clip here:

I hope this is reassuring to those who are worried that there is a campaign afoot to scrub all references to him.

the.dreamfinder

This week’s episode of the DIS Unplugged described Epcot’s 40th anniversary ceremony and mentioned a segment with footage of Walt, which can be seen in the highlights clip here:

I hope this is reassuring to those who are worried that there is a campaign afoot to scrub all references to him.
There are people in the company still bound and determined to change the company’s name to just “Disney”.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

There's plenty of counterexamples to this baseless rumor.

Other things to consider: 1) It was always baseless. There was no base there. No source given.

2) It was an obvious 'anti-woke' troll trying to discredit a coming-to-terms reckoning with a not so inclusive past by use of a slippery slope fallacy that it will require 'cancelling' Uncle Walt.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Oh, I know. I just thought this one was particularly pertinent given its recentness and it’s comparability to Disneyland’s birthday celebration, whose omission this year of Walt’s speech was viewed with considerable alarm.
Indeed, I agree.

I was pointing out how these rumors start and the likely origin and their shaky status.

The fact that Walt was just added to DE should be a sign that if there are such people with that point of view in the company, they have zero pull.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Walt is seen as “problematic”.
Yes.

Doesn't mean they're going to cancel him.

For all the faults Walt had, the company today is going out of their way to be the opposite. It's like Walt 'evolved'.

He was a smoker. No smoking in the park.

He was against unions. Disney Corp works with unions.

He was tone deaf on certain social issues.* Disney Corp get top scores from organizations that rate commitment to equality and self-censors past works (or, at least, puts up warnings and disavowals).

Etc...

*And that's the most I'll say to avoid delving into politics.

the.dreamfinder

Yes.

Doesn't mean they're going to cancel him.

For all the faults Walt had, the company today is going out of their way to be the opposite. It's like Walt 'evolved'.

He was a smoker. No smoking in the park.

He was against unions. Disney Corp works with unions.

He was tone deaf on certain social issues.* Disney Corp get top scores from organizations that rate commitment to equality and self-censors past works (or, at least, puts up warnings and disavowals).

Etc...

*And that's the most I'll say to avoid delving into politics.
Don’t disagree with any of that personally.

However, there are people in Burbank who see him differently.

Cmdr_Crimson

It’s been in front of us for a few years now...We aren't paying attention..
4TXaCExvS3qxllXSmxim

LittleBuford

It’s been in front of us for a few years now...We aren't paying attention..
4TXaCExvS3qxllXSmxim
This happened back in 2011, long before the "Woke Scare" that seems to have got so many in such a tizzy. As has already been noted, the claim/insinuation that there is a pattern of de-Waltification ignores the demonstrable fact that his image is still being actively promoted, even to the point of building new statues in his honour.

Sir_Cliff

This happened back in 2011, long before the "Woke Scare" that seems to have got so many in such a tizzy. As has already been noted, the claim/insinuation that there is a pattern of de-Waltification ignores the demonstrable fact that his image is still being actively promoted, even to the point of building new statues in his honour.
I think "Woke Scare" is a very good phrase for these rumours.

It's long been known there is light and shade in Walt's biography, as there is in that of a lot of people in history when viewed from the present. The idea that the achievements of anyone from the past who didn't conform to the most progressive ideas of the present should be erased is held by a very small minority if anyone. In Disney's case, even if they shorten the name to Disney it is still Walt Disney's surname and they keep building new statues of him rather than tearing the existing ones down.

lewisc

You just won........I'm going to Disney World.

Was the superbowl winning commercial ever I'm going to Walt Disney World?

A friend asks where r you going on vacation. II'll either say Disney or Disney World. II'll never go long form and say Walt Disney World.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom