Rumor Dropping the "Walt" from "Walt Disney World"

UNCgolf

And they're going to drop the name "Magic Kingdom" because 'magic' is associated with paganism and satanism and 'kingdom' evokes autocracy and a lack of egalitarianism, and they won't call it 'Disneyland' because Walt is problematic.

Welcome to Whimsyland!

Now, let the conspiracy theorists run with that...

Don't forget they're going to knock down the castle and replace it with a Soviet style apartment block.

UNCgolf

I wouldn't call it a paradigm shift: what passes for general knowledge has always changed with each new generation. I'm sure there are figures who were household names fifty years ago who most of us have never even heard of. If, as you predict, "Walt" is dropped from all Disney products within 20 years, then many children will indeed grow up without having heard of him. But that would be an awful lot of de-Walting to achieve in a relatively short space of time: his name and image are currently everywhere. This may well change over time, but I think it'll take a lot longer than a couple of decades, and the causes will be related to branding and marketing rather than to ideology.

This is really noticeable if you have satellite radio and listen to their 60s and 70s channels especially (although it's true of other decades as well). They have programs where they will count down the top 40 songs from a random week in that decade, and while there are plenty of songs/artists that are still generally well known, there will also be top 10 songs from artists that have been almost completely forgotten. I heard part of a countdown from the mid-1970s a few weeks ago and the #2 or #1 song was by someone I'd never heard of.

And they weren't some one-hit wonder, because they were playing a recording of the actual original Casey Kasem countdown from that week, and he acted like it was a very well known artist. Some people/things fall out of the general knowledge and others do not.

Last edited:

Smiley/OCD

This is really noticeable if you have satellite radio and listen to their 60s and 70s channels especially (although it's true of other decades as well). They have programs where they will count down the top 40 songs from a random week in that decade, and while there are plenty of songs/artists that are still generally well known, there will also be top 10 songs from artists that have been almost completely forgotten. I heard part of a countdown from the mid-1970s a few weeks ago and the #2 or #1 song was by someone I'd never heard of.

And they weren't some one-hit wonder, because they were playing a recording of the actual original Dick Clark countdown from that week, and he acted like it was a very well known artist. Some people/things fall out of the general knowledge and others do not.
I LOVE those countdown shows…(with all due respect to the late Dick Clark, the countdowns were done by the late Casey Kasem ( the voice of gy in Scooby Doo)…these “youngins” will never know music the way we did…hell, they don’t even listen to the radio and know what a DJ is…hint, not the club/party guys…

LittleBuford

Why do you say that? This site has a wide UK audience and has always censored words that are considered curse words in the UK.

Calm down. Not everything is a conspiracy. You also can't say the name of the actor who played Bert in Mary Poppins....
I was drafting my reply while you posted yours—I promise I didn’t just copy you!

UNCgolf

I LOVE those countdown shows…(with all due respect to the late Dick Clark, the countdowns were done by the late Casey Kasem ( the voice of ****gy in Scooby Doo)…these “youngins” will never know music the way we did…hell, they don’t even listen to the radio and know what a DJ is…hint, not the club/party guys…

Yes, Casey Kasem. Not sure why I said Dick Clark originally.

Rich Brownn

Well, the current films have nothing to do with Walt personally, however the parks are his intellectual creation. I even think the should rename Disneyland to Walt Disney Land. All the rest of the worlds Disney Parks are a number of Degrees after him so name them after the company and no one will care. It's not a rule, just a respect thing. Todays generations really have no idea who the hell Walt Disney even is and the following generations will be further distanced from that, but in spite of his faults, he gave us a huge gift and as a single individual accomplished so many impressive things in his short 66 years of existence. He should not be allowed to be forgotten. Especially by those narcissistic, talentless corporate big wigs that are successful because they are still hitching a free ride on a dead legends coattails.
Walt didn't have that much to do with WdW. he bought the land, and talked about EPCOT. He wasn't even sure if he wanted a Disneyland clone (he initially opposed it). Roy was the one who shepherded the project after Walt died. So going by your argument, it should be Roy Disney World, Eisner Disneyland Paris....

Goofyernmost

Walt didn't have that much to do with WdW. he bought the land, and talked about EPCOT. He wasn't even sure if he wanted a Disneyland clone (he initially opposed it). Roy was the one who shepherded the project after Walt died. So going by your argument, it should be Roy Disney World, Eisner Disneyland Paris....
That goes against just about every report I have ever seen. Yes, his primary concern was EPCOT, however, the "clone", as you put it, was absolutely required and was going to be opened first because he needed the cash income to build his city. Plus the original occupants of EPCOT were to be drawn from the employees of the park. Without his imagination the place would still be a mosquito infested swamp.

Yes, Roy made the decision to go ahead with the park and resort as he had 43 square miles of empty, now worthless, land that needed to be used. He was persuaded to move ahead with the beginning of what we see now because it was a no brainer investment and a way for him to help realize Walt's project and for that he deserves a lot of recognition, but remember it all started with a mouse and Roy had nothing to do with that creation. What we see now is really an unhappy accident but still driven by Walt and his memory. Roy knew also that the EPCOT that Walt wanted was a long shot and if it were to be successful it needed to be physically created and managed by the man that envisioned it to begin with. Unfortunately Walt was no longer around to detail his broad stroke plans.

Eisner isn't even a small part of the creation of the base for WDW and Disneyland Paris was a massive loser in the beginning. Hardly any thing to brag about. After Walt died everything actually became Disney the company, not Disney the man. Roy could have called it Roy Disney World, but knew that what was there was not of his creation. As for Eisner, he really was just an employee (cast member) of the Walt Disney Company happily riding on the very long coat tails of Walt Disney. Yup, Roy did a great job of creating the beginnings of WDW with the help of nine old men that knew the process and had the imagination and skill to build MK. As admiring as I am of Roy taking the reins and running with them to compare him or Eisner to the genius of Walt Disney is hard agree with.

Lilofan

The way Walt misled, lied, set up fake names, fake companies to buy the alligator infested swampland at a very cheap price which is now WDW was memorable.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Don't forget they're going to knock down the castle and replace it with a Soviet style apartment block.

They have already done the apartment block part...

1660304129852.png

mikejs78

Premium Member
Roy had nothing to do with that creation

That sells Roy short, IMO. He was an equal partner in the company from the beginning, and was CEO from 1929 on. Walt was definitely the creative genius, but without his brother's unwavering support and business acumen, it's highly unlikely that The Walt Disney Company would be here today, and many of Walt's ideas would not have become reality.

Goofyernmost

That sells Roy short, IMO. He was an equal partner in the company from the beginning, and was CEO from 1929 on. Walt was definitely the creative genius, but without his brother's unwavering support and business acumen, it's highly unlikely that The Walt Disney Company would be here today, and many of Walt's ideas would not have become reality.
I am not reducing the important part that Roy played in the success of Disney. I made it quite clear that the decision he made to develop the Florida property was absolutely the right thing to do. That said, however, Roy did not create the theme park concept and, in fact, noted in many places, was strongly against it when it came to Disneyland, but he respected his brothers instincts and did what he could in the form of financial watchdog work to keep Walt's creative head above water. He was the driving force to get WDW started but he took advice from the people that knew how to create the resort and never even tried to take credit for it. He deserves a lot of admiration for seeing his part of the project through, but that doesn't mean that his name would have had the same impact on its success as Walt's name did. Do you honestly think that had they named it Roy Disney World that it would have had the same impact?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom