Rumor Dropping the "Walt" from "Walt Disney World"

Goofyernmost

Yet it was called the "Disney World Project" before his first name was placed on it in tribute to him even shown in the EPCOT presentation..
images
It was called the Florida Project log before that so what does that have to do with anything? It is the name that was officially used that counted. Now names can be changed officially but usually there is a reason for it. What would be the positive of changing that one.

Rich Brownn

Well, we don't even know if there's any truth to the rumour, so I wouldn't start drawing such comparisons just yet.
We were instructed never to drop Walt. It was always Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom, base on a Walt Disney fitm, etc. Anytime the word Disney was used, Walt was always supposed to be included. I think the drift began when they started branding the hotels as Disney's whatever.

LittleBuford

We were instructed never to drop Walt. It was always Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom, base on a Walt Disney fitm, etc. Anytime the word Disney was used, Walt was always supposed to be included. I think the drift began when they started branding the hotels as Disney's whatever.
My understanding is that the older hotels when opened had neither “Walt” nor “Disney” in their names: what is today Disney’s Polynesian Village Resort was originally just the Polynesian Village Resort. I’m struggling to understand how adding Walt’s surname without including his first name is demoting him when neither name was there at the start.

Last edited:

lewisc

It's Disney's Beach Club Resort but the Walt Disney World Swan Hotel.
My memory is sports stars say I'm going to Disney World, not Walt Disney World.

I think Walt is dropped from the name, in normal usage, frequently.

Goofyernmost

My understanding is that the older hotels when opened had neither “Walt” nor “Disney” in their names: what is today Disney’s Polynesian Village Resort was originally just the Polynesian Village Resort. I’m struggling to understand how adding Walt’s surname without including his first name is demoting him when neither name was there at the start.
I'm struggling to understand how anyone could possibly think it is ok to hid the name of the person without whom there would be nothing but alligators, swamp and cow pastures there now. Kissimmee and Orlando would still be those tiny nothing towns that people drive through to get to someplace interesting. That is the problem with this country, we have no respect for history, legacy or the people that mostly did so much to make our lives enjoyable. The major complaint that most older fans are upset with WDW management about.

LittleBuford

I'm struggling to understand how anyone could possibly think it is ok to hid the name of the person without whom there would be nothing but alligators, swamp and cow pastures there now. Kissimmee and Orlando would still be those tiny nothing towns that people drive through to get to someplace interesting. That is the problem with this country, we have no respect for history, legacy or the people that mostly did so much to make our lives enjoyable. The major complaint that most older fans are upset with WDW management about.
Polynesian Village Resort (the original name) vs. Disney’s Polynesian Village Resort (the current name). If you’re saying the newer version hides his name, what do you make of the original?

(It should be noted that the “Walt”-less “Disney” was added back in 1985.)

Goofyernmost

Polynesian Village Resort (the original name) vs. Disney’s Polynesian Village Resort (the current name). If you’re saying the newer version hides his name, what do you make of the original?

(It should be noted that the “Walt”-less “Disney” was added back in 1985.)
We are not talking about things within the resort. We are talking about the resort itself. That is all inclusive and doesn't need repeating but since he died before it was built, the additional recognition is mostly attached to things that he was directly involved with creating. The rest and the use of just Disney is a company connection and not a human connection. That's the difference. Disney's written that way indicates possession and Disney (the company) does indeed possess the Poly and even with it there it is still identifying the company not the man. It is not named Walt Disney's Polynesian Village Resort. It was named renamed around the time that people started to notice that not all the hotels were owned and operated by the Disney Co. itself, if I recall correctly.

Last edited:

LittleBuford

We are not talking about things within the resort. We are talking about the resort itself. That is all inclusive and doesn't need repeating but since he died before it was built, the additional recognition is mostly attached to things that he was directly involved with creating. The rest and the use of just Disney is a company connection and not a human connection. That's the difference. Disney's written that way indicates possession and Disney (the company) does indeed possess the Poly and even with it there it is still identifying the company not the man..
I don’t understand your position as it relates to the example I provided, but I’m happy to move on.

UNCgolf

While I don't think this is happening, I also don't really understand why it's a big deal. It's not like the rumor is that they are going to rebrand the entire company (which would almost certainly never happen since there's so much cultural cachet attached to the name Disney).

If they told me they were going to let Tony Baxter re-do Imagination with however much money he wanted, and also build his Mary Poppins ride while they were at it, but the price was dropping the name Walt from WDW... go for it.

Last edited:

Lilofan

Speaking of fast food, I hear they're going to rename Wendy's to Apostrophe S.
Possibly adding an apostrophe to Wendy’s in all locations costs $$. I’d expect the menu items to increase in price. A small chili and baked potato is still a good deal.

Goofyernmost

I don’t understand your position as it relates to the example I provided, but I’m happy to move on.
I guess that if I am not understanding yours you are doing a good job of not understanding the just of the RUMORED name change. I'm just trying to explain the grammatical defining differences and the ethical differences as well. I don't expect it to happen. Contrary to popular beliefs there is a right way and a wrong way to do and express things.

LittleBuford

I guess that if I am not understanding yours you are doing a good job of not understanding the just of the RUMORED name change. I'm just trying to explain the grammatical defining differences and the ethical differences as well. I don't expect it to happen. Contrary to popular beliefs there is a right way and a wrong way to do and express things.
I think you may be reading a lot more into my posts than what I meant. As I said, I’m moving on.

Father Robinson

My two cents - even though it's just a rumor, I think it's tragic that it even be thought of.

The whole legacy, basically the whole reason WDW exists is because of Walt's dream and Roy's perseverance to make it a reality after Walt passed. Roy insisted that it be named "Walt Disney World" so everyone would know it was Walt's vision and dream that made the place a reality. By dropping the word "Walt", that would be tearing the heart out of the legacy of why the place exists. I know the current company likes naming consistency IE World Celebration, World Discovery, World Nature all to be consistent with World Showcase. But changing something like this to make it consistent with other Disney parks around the globe makes it lose its identity as the last dream Walt had and Roy's insistence that the place be named Walt Disney World.

Prince-1

My two cents - even though it's just a rumor, I think it's tragic that it even be thought of.

The whole legacy, basically the whole reason WDW exists is because of Walt's dream and Roy's perseverance to make it a reality after Walt passed. Roy insisted that it be named "Walt Disney World" so everyone would know it was Walt's vision and dream that made the place a reality. By dropping the word "Walt", that would be tearing the heart out of the legacy of why the place exists. I know the current company likes naming consistency IE World Celebration, World Discovery, World Nature all to be consistent with World Showcase. But changing something like this to make it consistent with other Disney parks around the globe makes it lose its identity as the last dream Walt had and Roy's insistence that the place be named Walt Disney World.

I understand what you are saying but here is my take on al of this....besides people on Disney fan sites such as this no one is going to care or even probably notice if they drop Walt from the name. This is something that may get Disney fanatics all in a tizzy but the large majority of people who visit WDW won't care at all. The price increases and diminishing return on what you pay for don't even seem to stop people from going so a name change won't register at all.

John park hopper

Just like Pearl Harbor, D-day and so many other events in history are forgotten in the publics memory I'm afraid memory of Walt (the man who started it all) will be forgotten by the masses

Prince-1

Just like Pearl Harbor, D-day and so many other events in history are forgotten in the publics memory I'm afraid memory of Walt (the man who started it all) will be forgotten by the masses

Hyperbole much?? People will not forget that Walt Disney created everything we love just because his first name is dropped from the parks. Whether it should or shouldn't is another matter.

And let's not compare Disney to Pearl Harbor or D-Day. It is just silly. As the song goes, "One of these things is not like the other...."

Californian Elitist

This kind of thinking is absurd and tiring. Firstly, how can you possibly know that the majority of Americans have somehow forgotten the events of Pearl Harbor and D-day? What caused this mass memory loss?

As obsessed as we as a country are about the Disney brand, I highly doubt Walt Disney will ever be forgotten. Come on.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom