Driving To Disney from the Northeast...

DarkImage4

Are there any specific hot spots that we should "avoid like the plague"? We know the Washington DC is bad, as is Jacksonville FL.

Are there any others we should watch for? :confused:

What times should we avoid these areas? :confused:

My wife & I are leaving for Disney on July 3rd and we're driving down from New Jersey. Our directions pretty much keep us on I-95.

Anyone have specific ideas or experiences that they could share?

All help is greatly appreciated. :D

Less than 2 weeks to go!!! :sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy:

2much2do

Re: Long drive

Originally posted by Bongo

I don't know how to use the search feature here with someone's username but I published some posts on my way to see this drive before. If you know how to use that feature you might be able to see what I said before to our co-poster 2much2do who drives from NY state too.

You know, I completely forget!!! I meant to post and thank you Bongo for your tips. We followed your advice and made excellent time! No traffic, just a great ride both ways! Thanks so much!!!! :)

Upvote 0

Bongo

OT :confused:

I am happy 2much that you enjoyed your drives...

I'll be there for the 4th but this time I'll fly. I'll be alone though.

But at the end of August, we will be there, my wife and I plus her sister who will be there for her honeymoon, so it should be fun. We fly this time too...

Ahhhh, when am I going to drive???:brick:

We haven't been too lucky with the summer so far in our Northern neibourghood.... so i'm going to Florida, hope the weather was good when you were there.

To be on topic, driving to Florida is also a good experience I think, I think you can get some good memories out of a drive to Disney.

Upvote 0

Talsonic

Account Suspended
Cherry Bomb City!

Originally posted by Tramp
oh Crap...those "South of the Border" signs....they start about 100 miles away....when we got there, what a waste of time...TOURIST TRAP .

...but the signs are amusing...

Actually Tramp, the signs start about 200 miles away and there are about 120 signs! The real big sell for SOB (South of the Border) has always been explosive devices such as M-80's, Cherry Bombs and Roman Candles. South Carolina sells that stuff (or at least they did when I made my yearly visits from Virginia years ago) and that's what made Alan Schafer (the owner of SOB) a multi-millionaire. As I am sure you know, explosive fireworks can not be sold to the public in most states. In South Carolina they'll sell you most anything in the line of fireworks. That was part of the sales tactic. It was as if you were leaving the "civilized world" (i.e. USA) and going to Mexico where the laws and standards are more permissive. Perhaps now they have changed the laws and limit those sales, at least I hope so. The Virginia State Police used to set up roadblocks back in the 60's on north bound I-95 looking for "kids" (like me) smuggling fireworks back to the north several weeks before the 4th of July. I never got caught but I made a lot of money in those days.

Upvote 0

DarkImage4

Original Poster
WOW!!!

Thank you all for the response. Needless to say I didn't think I'd get so many messages. :D

As far as DC goes, what do you all think is the latest in the morning that we should attempt to go through the area? 6:30am? Earlier? Any later?

Should I really be concerned about Jacksonville? Our aunt (who is a travel agent, booked us a room there (can't recall the hotel name). She called in a favor from one of her close friends, so I wouldn't think we've got a "bad" hotel, but of course I know nothing about the area.

We were planning on leaving at about 3:30am & figured we'd be getting into/through DC by about 6:30 or 7.

Thanks again for the continued help!!!

We will be posting a trip report after we return, both here and on our personal website.

Upvote 0

The Mom

Premium Member
As of last summer, you could still buy INCREDIBLE fireworks in SC! We stopped at a place that was selling professional size mortars....about 3 feet tall...it was scary!

We are allowed certain fireworks, but generally no aerials. I purchased some "fountain" style (as I usually do) and set them off at midnight on New Year's Eve (local custom in JAX) These are cylinders (a foot or less tall) that you place on the ground, light and run, then they emit a spray of colored sparks. These went so high and wide that they almost set the trees on fire!!! They weren't the same as the type I'd been purchasing locally...I was impressed!! :eek:

Upvote 0

jaimjaim25

Hello,

Me and my family have driven from New Jersey to Disney about 7 times. The things I can remember are taking the turnpike to I-95 all the way until Washington DC. THe only reason my father took a different road from Washigton DC was that he though it was a short cut. But if I was driving there now, I would just stay on I-95. I don't want to get lost in Washington, and I don't think the short cut, cut that much out of the trip. We used to drive from NJ to Savanah, GA in 1 day (we used to leave at 4am!) and then the next day was only a short trip to Disney, about 3-4 hours.

Once you get to Daytona, take rte 4 all the way down to disney. THere are plenty of signs that tell you how to get there once you get close.

Have a GREAT trip!

Jamie

Upvote 0

pooh&eyore

Since I like to go to Disney, driving has been more economical then flying, especially, when you have a spouse and now a child. I have made the road trip four times from Long Island, NY. Every time I leave at about 6 p.m. drive all night and arrive in Disney about noon the following day.

Driving at night allows for less traffic or virtually none in the normally traffic areas. In fact, only on two trips did I hit traffic in Jacksonville. With less traffic of course the trip time is shorter.

Driving at night also allows you to keep up with the fast moving trucks, so rather than doing 65 or 70 (speeds I believe south of VA, or starting around Richmond, VA are 70 mph), you are now cruising close to 85 and sometimes faster.

I would recommend stopping at a rest area in VA (close to the Washington D.C. border, but after the beltway) or a little earlier for food. This will be the last stop of any consequence for major food, everything else through the night will most likely be coffee and a restroom break. Stop for an early breakfast and then head for the world that the mouse built.

Best time: Disney All Star to Home: 15 hours and 49 minutes (surprisingly it was begun at 8 a.m and arrived home right before midnight).

Also watch out in Sante, SC - lots of cops.

Upvote 0

2much2do

Originally posted by pooh&eyore

Best time: Disney All Star to Home: 15 hours and 49 minutes (surprisingly it was begun at 8 a.m and arrived home right before midnight).

Okay, I used to drive to WDW from NYC (Manhattan) in 19 hours. Now, from upstate NY it took us about 23. I have got to ask......How the h*ll did you make it in 15 hours???????????? :veryconfu

Upvote 0

pooh&eyore

I was driving very fast while my wife was asleep. The speed limit averages down south 70 mph. I was doing anywhere between 90-95 mph for a majority of the trip. And believe it or not I was basically keeping up with the flow of traffic. Besides a good radar detector does not hurt.

Additionally, I only stopped for gas and restroom breaks. I streamlined all stops and purchased all my food prior to leaving the All-Star.

Upvote 0

bamboo7

Re: WOW!!!

Originally posted by DarkImage4
Thank you all for the response. Needless to say I didn't think I'd get so many messages. :D

As far as DC goes, what do you all think is the latest in the morning that we should attempt to go through the area? 6:30am? Earlier? Any later?

Should I really be concerned about Jacksonville? Our aunt (who is a travel agent, booked us a room there (can't recall the hotel name). She called in a favor from one of her close friends, so I wouldn't think we've got a "bad" hotel, but of course I know nothing about the area.

We were planning on leaving at about 3:30am & figured we'd be getting into/through DC by about 6:30 or 7.

Thanks again for the continued help!!!

We will be posting a trip report after we return, both here and on our personal website.

Are you traveling down there on a weekday or a weekend? I have never had to take the washington beltway that early on a weekday, but it should be fine at that time on a saturday or sunday.

Upvote 0

DarkImage4

Original Poster
Re: Re: WOW!!!

Originally posted by bamboo7

Are you traveling down there on a weekday or a weekend? I have never had to take the washington beltway that early on a weekday, but it should be fine at that time on a saturday or sunday.

We're leaving at 3:30am on Wednesday July 3rd.

Upvote 0

SnowWhite5669

We drive down at least once a year. This year we left Rhode Island at 4:30 AM and got to Georgia at 9:30 PM I95 all the way. My husband wanted to keep driving but we convinced him to stop. Mainly because we would have gotten into Disney at about 3:00AM and would have had no place to sleep. The area we stayed in was pretty nice, although I can not remember the town. We stayed at a Days Inn, coming home we drove straight through and slept for awhile at a rest area. I would not recommend that to anyone. Too dangerous!!! I think our driving days are over. Do you know what the car smells like with two teenage boys in the back seat??????

I would much rather fly. We leave in 16 days!!!!!! (by plane):sohappy: :sohappy:

Upvote 0

VillianFan

Just a tip on the Washington DC area, rush hour in and around DC starts much earlier and lasts much longer than some other areas. The 6:30 - 7am timeframe puts you in serious rush hour!! I would consider leaving earlier to get through that area before 6am. The entire beltway around DC can lock up solid, it is awful.

Upvote 0

mickey-nut

We just did this from outside of Phila., Pa. in April. We left our house at 8:30 at night and we were in Richmond in 3hours! There was NO traffic. Washington was a breeze at this hour. We ran into no problems with DC or Jacksonville. Our total time we spent in the car driving was 15 hours. We stopped for bathroom breaks, did fast food for lunch and then stopped for a nice dinner Sat. night, with all of the stops included out total travel time was 18 1/2 hours. Coming home the only problem spot we hit was Baltimore, MD. they were doing construction on 95 and it was bumper to bumper at a snails pace for 3 hours. We had a ball driving. My hubby was very nervous because we have always flown in the past (which I HATE to do) and he did not know how our kids would do ( they are 3 and 6) but they did great. Have a great vacation!

Mickey nut:)

Upvote 0

tarabl

We just got back and drove from Philly. Left on Sunday, the 16th around 6:15 a.m. and there was no traffic at all. At times we were the only car on the road, no one in front or back. We drove for 12 hours and landed in Port Wentworth, GA. Stayed at Country Inn and Suites, which is very clean. The next morning, Monday the 17th on the road about 8:30, arrived at Disney around 2:00 or so this was even with torrential downpours.

Traffic really wasn't bad at all. We did take the alternate routes 295, and 495.

This is the second time we have driven and find it enjoyable. We count the South of the Border signs and "punch buggies" and license plates to keep us entertained. The first trip we drove for 12 hours the first day only making it to Santee South Carolina.

Both times on the way home we did end up in the same spot in North Carolina at Battleboro. The motels weren't really good, and we were out of there both times really fast the next morning.

After reading the above posts we won't be stopping there anymore.

It's really not that bad driving at all.

Upvote 0

tarabl

We just got back and drove from Philly. Left on Sunday, the 16th around 6:15 a.m. and there was no traffic at all. At times we were the only car on the road, no one in front or back. We drove for 12 hours and landed in Port Wentworth, GA. Stayed at Country Inn and Suites, which is very clean. The next morning, Monday the 17th on the road about 8:30, arrived at Disney around 2:00 or so this was even with torrential downpours.

Traffic really wasn't bad at all. We did take the alternate routes 295, and 495.

This is the second time we have driven and find it enjoyable. We count the South of the Border signs and "punch buggies" and license plates to keep us entertained. The first trip we drove for 12 hours the first day only making it to Santee South Carolina.

Both times on the way home we did end up in the same spot in North Carolina at Battleboro. The motels weren't really good, and we were out of there both times really fast the next morning.

After reading the above posts we won't be stopping there anymore.

It's really not that bad driving at all.

Upvote 0

cm1988

Stop and smell the seaweed

Not being an intensely practical person, I've often taken the Eastern Shore (Del-Mar-Va) route on my North-South trips. That's Route 13, as a I recall, culminating in a breezy 27-mile drive across the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel.

Sometimes I'd stop at Assetegue Island National Seashore or one of the seaside towns along the way and inhale some salt air... and maybe 'inhale' a bowl of crab soup as well.

Then, the bad news... you have to navigate through Va Beach and the Dismal Swamp before you're back on boring ol' 95. Or you continue to meander a bit.

It doesn't get you to Disney real fast, so is a terrible suggestion if your time is limited (or passengers just want to get there!).

Okay, here's a safe, heartfelt suggestion... enjoy the journey and please don't be in too much of a hurry. To quote Wm. Least Heat Moon... "The traveler who misses the journey, misses about all he's going to get". That's from his "Blue Highways"; a good read before a vacation trip.

Seriously, have a great trip!:cool:

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom