Driving to Disney from NJ

Bri1121

Ok so we are driving for the first time. We are leaving from North Jersey and giving ourself one day plus a few hours the next morning. Anyone do this route before.

We have drove to Hilton Head SC a few times and have done it in a day. But we know we are going to need to stop for the night. We are hoping to stop at the end of Georgia. To only have a few hours into Disney in the am.

We have two smallish kids- 6 and 3. They have done great before. But we usually leave at 3-4 am to get to Hilton Head. But we are exhausted that night. Since we are just lounging at the beach/pool all day we usually do fine. But Disney is not so relaxing!! So dh wants to leave later to get some more sleep in. I am worried about traffic leaving later though?

Anyone have tips from coming down the east coast?

Thx!!!

jencor

I live in the Baltimore/DC area and if it is on Saturday that you are leaving, do not worry about traffic, the only thing that might slow you down would be an accident or construction. Just stay on 95 all the way. Even on a weekday it still flows unless there is an accident. It can be slow, but if you try to go around everything else is bottled up also cause everyone else is trying to do the same thing. Baltimore usually flows ok, it is not as bad as DC. Once you get to the Beltway on DC it usually picks up if you stay on 95 and do not take 495. 495 is actually 1 mile shorter but traffic is usually worse. Again, if it is Saturday you should have no problems. It takes 14 1/2 hours from South side of Baltimore to Orlando without much traffic. Good luck and enjoy.

Upvote 0

brisem

Have fun. Its worth the savings and the added time with your kids.

Very true. These days have long periods of time being together as a family is rare. I wouldn't trade the drive and time with the kids for anything. Especially this trip, since my oldest will be a Sr in HS and then who knows if she'll have the time.

Besides, the trip creates alot of fun memories too.

Upvote 0

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
The one and only time our family drove down from NJ (where I grew up) was when I was between junior and senior year in high school, because we were touring colleges in the DC area. Anyway, we all as a family despised it and vowed never to do it again. It was a little too much time spent in the car in close quarters. We all missed flying dearly!

Upvote 0

brisem

The one and only time our family drove down from NJ (where I grew up) was when I was between junior and senior year in high school, because we were touring colleges in the DC area. Anyway, we all as a family despised it and vowed never to do it again. It was a little too much time spent in the car in close quarters. We all missed flying dearly!

Having a minivan with captain chairs keeps it from getting cramped.

Upvote 0

flavious27

We live in Mount Laurel NJ and make the drive yearly. Here is the route we use:

295 south into Delaware onto 13 to route 1 back onto 13 all the way to the Chesapeak Bay Bridge, Then onto 58 to 95 11 miles before North Carolina. We stop off over night in mid South Carolina. We proceed back on 95 South to RT 4 west and always arrive at our hotel in DWD between the hours of 3:00 - 5:00 PM. THis includes rest room breaks breaks, gas stops, stops for eating lunch on the chesapeak bay bridge tunnel, stops because the DWF see something that she wants to look at and so on. We do however make it a point to be back on the road the next morning in South Carolina by 10:00 AM that includes a nice hotel breakfast and refule of the car. Keep in mind we stop in Fla Border to get some nice free OJ. We do not feel tired and felt the drive was broken up and had some fun along the way.

You take the backroads to disney?

Upvote 0

Bri1121

Original Poster
We have done long drives before and it for the most part is enjoyable. Lots of time with the kids, talking, playing games. We have movie players for them but at this age they still want to talk and play games. I think this time we are going to get some games for the adults too! Someone mentioned some car trivia games on cd.

Driving vs flying at this time is saving us about $600 dollars. I am on alert for a few travel sites and if the plane tickets come down we will fly.

I am so happy so many of you guys have done this and some from further away!!

I wish we could do night driving but its not in us. My fear also would be other sleepy drivers on the road at that time and my kids not sleeping. Then we would be in big trouble. My kids get excited and don't sleep like I think they will or hope!

I like the idea of switching each gas stop!! Good idea. My husband gets it in him that he wants to do the whole trip?!? There is no medal if you do and he just ends up beat!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom