Driving shortcuts from the Northeast?

slappy magoo

Hey there hi there ho there...

Less than a week to go. As soon as my GF's school lets out Thursday afternoon (how many times do I have to keep telling you all: She's a TEACHER! I'm not a sick disgusting man! JEEZ!) :D we're on our way. She's a few miles away from I-95, so I'm figuring there's nothing else that needs doing. I-95 to 4, simple as pie.

But I wondered if there were any shortcuts along the way, mainly, if there are places to avoid traffic buildups. I've only ever driven up from Orlando once, and never down (avoiding one of last year's hurricanes after the parks and airports closed all Labor Day Weekend). Anyone have any tips?

Robfasto

Most of the fines you get tend to depend on the county you are in, I know here in Tennessee it does. The fines can double or triple from county to county for the same fines.

Upvote 0

Gail Hayden

AEfx said:
Now Gail, you wouldn't be promoting breaking the rules would you?

OK, I promise not to rag on you for this as long as you look the otehr way when you see me and my mug next trip. ;)

AEfx

Heck no, I am not promoting breaking the rules. I have never ragged on anyone for the mug thing, at least I hope not, I just state what the rules are. :) As to ragging on you for your mug, nah, I am not the mug police. :)

Upvote 0

Gail Hayden

Robfasto said:
Most of the fines you get tend to depend on the county you are in, I know here in Tennessee it does. The fines can double or triple from county to county for the same fines.

CT does not have county governments. It can, however, vary from town to town. The state police patrol the state roads, not the town roads and the town police police the towns, not the state roads. I stay within the speed limits in town, however, on the highways, well, I cannot help myself. :)

Upvote 0

brisem

xodisneybelleox said:
where from in the northeast im from mass, the only spot we had trouble with really was connecticut going into new york. maybe it was bad timing im not sure. but good luck and have a safe trip and enjoy and relax! :sohappy:
I live in CT--take Rt 15 rather than 95 ( no trucks). Over the Tapanzee Bridge to Garden State Parkway to NJ Turnpike(95). Is the easiest way

Upvote 0

tigsmom

brisem said:
I live in CT--take Rt 15 rather than 95 ( no trucks). Over the Tapanzee Bridge to Garden State Parkway to NJ Turnpike(95). Is the easiest way

When you come over the Tap, take the NYS Thruway to Mahwah/Suffern and hit 287. You can avoid the Garden State & pick up the Turnpike near the Brunswicks (I'm pretty sure thats the area)

Upvote 0

slappy magoo

Original Poster
Thanks everybody for the advice.

Just to defend myself from strangers ragging on me on the internet (HORRORS!) :D the reason we're not flying down is that we flat-out couldn't leave before Thursday, so I flat-out couldn't find airfare for less than $380pp, and that was before taxes, and including one stop-over. Not to mention the cost of getting to the airport, long-term parking, and renting a car for at least a few days to go to Universal (annual passes there now, too) or anywhere else we might want to go. If we were able to leave before Thursday, we could've gotten MUCH better rates on airfare, but my GF is a teacher who doesn't like to take advantage of the system (and yet, I still love her, go figure). She didn't want to take a sick day (and an unpaid one at that), and inconvenience her school, so we're leaving as soon as possible after school lets out on Thursday. Techincally, that's 12:15, but I'm doing some running around before then, and we might need a catnap or want to take a shower to cut down on stinkage. If we can leave earlier, we will. And if rush hour traffic around DC or anywhere else becomes too grueling, we'll just pull over and rest for an hour. We kind of have that "every mile we're on the road is another mile closer to Disney World" mentality, and would rather start driving and take a longer-than-expected break than wait till later to leave.

It looks to be about 1030 miles one-way. Driving straight through, with a magical gas tank that never runs empty, would take us 17 hours, but I know we're gonna have to stretch our legs, hit a Cracker Barrel on the way, etc. I'm hoping if we do leave at 3pm Thursday, we'll get there no later than noon Friday, and that's fine by me. I wouldn't want to be off I-95 too much, because I'm horrible when it comes to directions. Bypassing DC traffic at 295 seems like a great idea and will moast-definitely do that. Otherwise, I'll have to consult some maps and the links some of you provided and see how daring I want to be. Thanks again, all.

Upvote 0

WILWIJ

OK, we have driven from Delaware to Orlando every year for the last 5 years. In addition, I travel from Delaware to DC at least three times a month.

A great "shortcut" is to get off at the 896 west/south exit in Delaware, which will turn into 301 south. Take 301 south to 495/Inner Loop (Richmond) and it will dump you back onto 95S past Baltimore/DC.
Now 301 south from Delaware to about Annapolis is clear no matter what day or time it is. It is a large road with nice scenery, and you barely see any cars at all. It is a couple of miles longer than 95S, but you save so much time due to traffic.

Also, once you hit the Annapolis area, there are tons of great seafood (real Chesapeake seafood) restaurants to stop at for lunch or dinner.

Ron

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom