Driving instead of flying, have some parking questions

87 GN

Normally we fly and take Disney transportation during our stay however on this trip we will have our 2 year old with us for the first time so we decided we will drive. Its been about 10 years since I have driven down and we did not stay on property so I have a few questions regarding things I have found on line.

I have read that if you stay at a resort which we are SS that you can park at the parks for free is this true? If this is true I assume the paper the resort gives you to place on your dash for the resort lot would be all that needed at the park lot?

I have also read that people have parked before at the GF and took the monorail over to the MK or parked at the Contemporary and walked to the MK. I am just curious if this is possible without causing an issue, I know you are suppose to park at the TTC and most likely will but it never hurts to ask what people have done or can do for reference.

Thanks

flynnibus

Premium Member
I have read that if you stay at a resort which we are SS that you can park at the parks for free is this true? If this is true I assume the paper the resort gives you to place on your dash for the resort lot would be all that needed at the park lot?

I have also read that people have parked before at the GF and took the monorail over to the MK or parked at the Contemporary and walked to the MK. I am just curious if this is possible without causing an issue, I know you are suppose to park at the TTC and most likely will but it never hurts to ask what people have done or can do for reference.

Thanks

If you are a VALID GUEST at the onsite Disney hotels - you can park at the hotel and the parks with your pass.

If you plan on faking it, or if you plan on trying to elude the parking fees at a resort and then going to a park - your ethics are poor and I hope karma catches up with you.

Upvote 0

87 GN

Original Poster
If you are a VALID GUEST at the onsite Disney hotels - you can park at the hotel and the parks with your pass.

If you plan on faking it, or if you plan on trying to elude the parking fees at a resort and then going to a park - your ethics are poor and I hope karma catches up with you.

We will be a valaid guest I do not plan to fake anything. If we are paying for a resort parking pass or its included I was only asking because we have breakfast resevations at the contemporary and if I can park there for the day I would rater do that then go back to the tcc and park after breakfast. Make sense?

Upvote 0

Britt

Its cheaper for the time we are going, do not have to lug extra baby stuff on the plane, but mostly my wife does not do good flying she gets sick and feels awful the first day every time we fly. We plan on driving down at night why out daughter sleeps
ugh, I totally understand the airsickeness. I also get air sick. Dramamine, helps me soooooo much so that I can stay calm, but unless Im able to look out a window, Im a mess!! And yes, it's MISERABLE that first day or so, you feel this awful dizziness.

I'm so jealous, I wish we lived close enough, it's a 3 day drive for us, unfortunately....LOL

Upvote 0

Disneykidder

As long as you are staying on property you can park for free anywhere. You will receive a paper upon check-in for your car. When entering the parks, they do check your dash. No, you cannot park st the Contemporary and walk/take the mono to the MK. The resort parking lots are reserved for guests who are staying or eating there.

Upvote 0

Britt

Oh, as far as parking, I wouldn't bother parking anywhere but the resort EXCEPT for nights you'll be at fireworks.

I would just use Disney transportation most of the time, go back to your room before fireworks, get cleaned up/freshened up and then drive for the fireworks. : )

Upvote 0

flynnibus

Premium Member
We will be a valaid guest I do not plan to fake anything. If we are paying for a resort parking pass or its included I was only asking because we have breakfast resevations at the contemporary and if I can park there for the day I would rater do that then go back to the tcc and park after breakfast. Make sense?

As a valid Disney resort guest, you can park at your resort for free, and any of the parks.
As a valid visitor to a resort, you are entitled to park at that for the period of your visit to the resort. For high contention areas, they will give you a temporary (3hr) pass.

Beyond that is a grey area.. where Disney won't enforce typically, but you aren't supposed to leave your car at the other resort... else everyone would just drive from their resort to the prime Contemporary lot.

Your only way to know for sure is what the parking attendant will tell you that day if they will let you slide.

Upvote 0

Sloan

While I know that many here swear by the Disney Transportation system, I usually drive to the parks unless I'm going to MK or staying at a Monorail resort. Not only does it seem faster and more comfortable to me, I can keep any 'extras' in the car and not lug them around 'just in case' (i.e. a rain jacket, sweater, etc.). Knowing that I can dash back to the resort whenever I want, without the risk of getting 'stuck' waiting for a bus, is a big plus for me - particularly since I make a lot of table service dining reservations, and I don't want to worry about missing one due to a bus issue ...

P.S. I also kind of like driving on the Disney property - I put the top down and enjoy the scenery.

P.P.S. - There are some Food & Wine Festival events that I will take the Disney transport system for, so that I will not worry about too much wine!

Upvote 0

Clamman73

Yes, you tell the person at the Contemporary gate that you have breakfast reservations, but still just leave your parking pass in the windshield when you park so they at least know you're a Disney resort guest. Then, just hop on the monorail or walk over to MK after breakfast. I've done it at Poly and Wilderness for breakfast and dinner. FYI...the monorail might be going in the direction of TTC first.

Upvote 0

luv

Yes, hotel guests get free parking at the parks. You drive past a little toll booth and can show the person your room ID card.

No, you are not supposed to park at the Poly, GF or CR. I don't know if you can or not. Never tried. But the bus is the fastest way in and out of MK...except for closing. If you'll be there when they close, a car is better.

Other than MK, driving will get you everywhere faster. :)

Upvote 0

MinnieMommy

I haven't been on here in forever - real life can take me away from Disney, but after a year break for my health, we are going again in December! Yay!

I had to comment because we also drive. We have driven every visit since 2000. Until 2007, we always drove, but used the Disney buses from our resort. By 2007, my illness caused me to be in a wheelchair, so we decided to try using maps and finding our way around WDW in our van. We actually LOVE driving to the parks on our own. No waiting for buses, no hassle with my chair. (If you are using strollers, more ease there also) The first year I was freaked out, I printed up property maps ahead of time, had the GPS pre-programmed, etc. But, it was really very simple getting around. There are signs everywhere and the worst case scenario is you have to turn around if you miss an exit. After the first day, we were familiar with the main roads and by now, I feel like we could drive to even other resorts, etc. with our eyes closed.

Also, the paper you get for your dash at your resort is what they check for at the theme park lots - it is free parking if you are a resort guest. ***On a side note - We have a handicap placard, which may make our experience a little easier. (parking closer, not taking the tram), but Magic Kingdom can be more difficult to self park. For you, the bus may be the best for that park. However, we always ride the Epcot or Resort loop a couple times during our visits because it is not a trip to WDW without the monorail!

Have a magical vacation!!!

Upvote 0

dreamfinder

As mentioned, resort guests get free parking at the theme parks. You are only supposed to park at the resort you are staying at, or if you have a valid cause to be at another resort. Disney obviously reserves the right to tow cars that aren't properly parked. Boardwalk may have you park at a different lot than guests if you go over just for dinner or to visit.

Upvote 0

stevehousse

We were there this past may and had breakfast reservations at ohana! I did pay for mk lot parking since we would be going there afterwards. When we were done with ohana I asked 2 employees, the bell hop desk and the check in desk and told them that I did pay for main gate parking and if its ok to leave my car here and take the monorail over instead! I got a yes from both. We were there all day took the monorail back at the end of the night and our car was still there ok! Idk if they allowed u to do this because it was may when we went and the parks and resort were empty? Maybe during the more peak times at the resort they would say no???

Upvote 0

Polyman

Stevehousse is correct. The only time you will have a problem parking at GF, Poly, or CR is during peak attendance periods, such as Christmas week, Easter/Springbreak time, and other holidays. During peak times they will ask you why you want to park. The only acceptable answer is that you have a dining reservation. Then they will look it up to confirm. Any other reason, you will be turned away. During slow periods, or non-holiday times, you will have no problem at all parking at the above resorts to go to the MK. Keep your resort parking pass visible on the dash, show photo ID, and you should just be waved in. When it's slow Security won't ask and they don't give out 3 hour passes anymore. They stopped that awhile back.

Upvote 0

MITCH 112198

For us when you have kids , stroller, diaper bag, and more it's always easier for us to take the car to the park , then to ever get on the bus. and parking is free if staying on property.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom