Driving instead of flying, have some parking questions

87 GN

Normally we fly and take Disney transportation during our stay however on this trip we will have our 2 year old with us for the first time so we decided we will drive. Its been about 10 years since I have driven down and we did not stay on property so I have a few questions regarding things I have found on line.

I have read that if you stay at a resort which we are SS that you can park at the parks for free is this true? If this is true I assume the paper the resort gives you to place on your dash for the resort lot would be all that needed at the park lot?

I have also read that people have parked before at the GF and took the monorail over to the MK or parked at the Contemporary and walked to the MK. I am just curious if this is possible without causing an issue, I know you are suppose to park at the TTC and most likely will but it never hurts to ask what people have done or can do for reference.

Thanks

ddrongowski

I have read that if you stay at a resort which we are SS that you can park at the parks for free is this true? YES, If this is true I assume the paper the resort gives you to place on your dash for the resort lot would be all that needed at the park lot? CORRECT.

I have also read that people have parked before at the GF and took the monorail over to the MK or parked at the Contemporary and walked to the MK. You could but your vehicle is only supposed to be there for 2 hours maximum*. I am just curious if this is possible without causing an issue, I know you are suppose to park at the TTC and most likely will but it never hurts to ask what people have done or can do for reference.

Thanks

* If you have dinning reservations, or want to look/shop at a resort that is not yours, they will let you. But you really are only supposed to use the parking spot for a maximun of 2 hours. At least this is what we have been told in the past. If you are planning on being in the parks use the TTC.

Upvote 0

ddrongowski

We will be a valaid guest I do not plan to fake anything. If we are paying for a resort parking pass or its included I was only asking because we have breakfast resevations at the contemporary and if I can park there for the day I would rater do that then go back to the tcc and park after breakfast. Make sense?

Sounds like this would not be a problem, but ask the gate attendant if it would be okay. That way you will know for sure.

Upvote 0

Plowboy

While I know that many here swear by the Disney Transportation system, I usually drive to the parks unless I'm going to MK or staying at a Monorail resort. Not only does it seem faster and more comfortable to me, I can keep any 'extras' in the car and not lug them around 'just in case' (i.e. a rain jacket, sweater, etc.). Knowing that I can dash back to the resort whenever I want, without the risk of getting 'stuck' waiting for a bus, is a big plus for me - particularly since I make a lot of table service dining reservations, and I don't want to worry about missing one due to a bus issue ...

P.S. I also kind of like driving on the Disney property - I put the top down and enjoy the scenery.

P.P.S. - There are some Food & Wine Festival events that I will take the Disney transport system for, so that I will not worry about too much wine!

Many here also swear "at" Disney Transportation, but we've always found it to be pretty good. Oh sure, there's the odd long wait once in awhile, but we get over it.

Upvote 0

minnielaw

We always drive to WDW and we drive from our on-site resort to the parks also. My husband cannot stand relying on someone else for our transportation!

Yes, you can park free and like other posters have said...your resort front desk will give you a sheet of paper that you place on your dashboard that allows you to park free. Make sure you let the front desk know that you have a car and need the parking pass.

We have driven to the Polynesian when we had an ADR at Kona and then took the monorail to MK. The guard did ask us why we were there and then looked up our ADR (or so he said!). I'm sure you could say that you wanted to check out the resort or that you were going to eat in a QS location at the resort and gain access that way.

We love to use our car at WDW and it is so nice at the end of long night to get into our own car!

Upvote 0

Dad 2 M & M

Oh, as far as parking, I wouldn't bother parking anywhere but the resort EXCEPT for nights you'll be at fireworks.

I would just use Disney transportation most of the time, go back to your room before fireworks, get cleaned up/freshened up and then drive for the fireworks. : )
I agree! While there are challenges using the transportation busing with a young child, the challenges are greater with parking at the parks and using the trams. Use the busing!

Upvote 0

Dad 2 M & M

We always drive to WDW and we drive from our on-site resort to the parks also. My husband cannot stand relying on someone else for our transportation!

Yes, you can park free and like other posters have said...your resort front desk will give you a sheet of paper that you place on your dashboard that allows you to park free. Make sure you let the front desk know that you have a car and need the parking pass.

We have driven to the Polynesian when we had an ADR at Kona and then took the monorail to MK. The guard did ask us why we were there and then looked up our ADR (or so he said!). I'm sure you could say that you wanted to check out the resort or that you were going to eat in a QS location at the resort and gain access that way.

We love to use our car at WDW and it is so nice at the end of long night to get into our own car!
I hear ya! We just can't handle the traffic jam at park closing! Plus, we fly down now.

Upvote 0

sxeensweet

Love a little Disney every day!! ;)
While I know that many here swear by the Disney Transportation system, I usually drive to the parks unless I'm going to MK or staying at a Monorail resort. Not only does it seem faster and more comfortable to me, I can keep any 'extras' in the car and not lug them around 'just in case' (i.e. a rain jacket, sweater, etc.). Knowing that I can dash back to the resort whenever I want, without the risk of getting 'stuck' waiting for a bus, is a big plus for me - particularly since I make a lot of table service dining reservations, and I don't want to worry about missing one due to a bus issue ...

P.S. I also kind of like driving on the Disney property - I put the top down and enjoy the scenery.

P.P.S. - There are some Food & Wine Festival events that I will take the Disney transport system for, so that I will not worry about too much wine!

I totally Agee with you. Transportation (buses) take way too long and you can't bring some of the extras with you that you don't want to lug around etc. Seems a lot quicker to drive and easier at least for us plus it's free when staying in property or if your a passholder. So why not if its free and you don't have to be dependent on other people. To me you have more freedom driving yourself and gets you to the parks a lot quicker. :)

Upvote 0

luv

One time, and one time only, it took me ten minutes to get out of a parking lot.

Other than that, I get in my car and drive out. I've probably left parks at closing over 1,000 times, lol. ONE TIME I was delayed.

The people who talk about these massive jams in the parking lots just aren't doing it. One tram at a time dumps people out. They're spread over the lot. They get in their cars and go. Another tram comes through and dumps a few more out.

It isn't like when you leave a concert or ball game. Plus, the lots are better deigned than those lots.

Leaving the park at closing is faster in a car than by bus, without a doubt.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom