Driving from DLR to WDW

Miceberg

DH and I are driving coast to coast, from DLR to WDW (and beyond) in a couple weeks. Anyone else make this drive? Looking for tips, advice on where to stop and "don't miss" type of things.

Miceberg

Original Poster
Ha ha, not the first time I've heard that! We've been planning for a while, so well aware of the many miles I'll be putting on my car.

Upvote 0

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Sorry no advice, it sounds like a very interesting drive. I've driven from DLR to Wisconsin and we stopped at the Grand Canyon that was cool. Maybe you could report back, it would be interesting to hear what you found to do.

For long road trips, my husband and I pack trivia cards and Mad Libs books. We also have a big snack bag and a cooler of drinks, sandwiches, and sliced cheese (we are from Wisconsin) and summer sausage. We also have a playlist of sing along songs and some podcasts we both like to listen to.

Upvote 0

DisneyPrincess5

DH and I are driving coast to coast, from DLR to WDW (and beyond) in a couple weeks. Anyone else make this drive? Looking for tips, advice on where to stop and "don't miss" type of things.
Wow, you're brave! As a kid, we'd drive from the upper East Coast all the way to WDW and I thought that was a lot! Sounds adventurous, but a really fun once-in-a-lifetime experience most people cannot say they have done. Have a great time and be safe!

Upvote 0

Miceberg

Original Poster
We leave in less than a week. The "getting there" part of the trip came together well. It's the leaving and heading home part that needs work. Once we leave WDW our route is not directly home. We will head over to Kennedy Space Center followed by Key West. From Key West we want to figure out the best route to see the Everglades before getting to the Gulf coast. I understand there are two routes to take, but I don't know which is better. Anyone??
Also, I am going to post trip pics on Instagram, if anyone wants to follow, pm me and I'll give you the #tag-line.

Upvote 0

Zipadeelady

I think this sounds like an awesome trip! I love road trips, although I've never taken one this long. Have a great time and post some pics!! What is your instagram? I'll follow!!

Upvote 0

Figmentation

Not much I can tell you, I've only made a 16 hour drive from Southern Indiana to WDW.
All I can say is this, if you go through Georgia, prepare the energy drinks because man.. you'll want to sleep by the lack of ANYTHING you see driving in a straight line.

The most entertainment you get is watching the Billboards go from "Adult Only Truck Stops." to "Get fresh Pecans and Oranges!"/"Buy cheap Disney Tickets here!"

Once you hit the Florida border though, you'll want to at least stop at the Florida Welcome Center. It's a nice stop. You can get fresh juice there, wander around to stretch your legs, and even look at Disney Pamphlets. Once you hit the turnpike, there's a few nice stops along the way there too..

I enjoy stopping at Okahumpka.
Do NOT GET GAS THERE. It is over priced.. by A LOT. It's fun little stop, but do not get gas there unless you 100% positive you need it.
Either fill up before getting on the Turnpike, or after you get close to Disney itself.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Miceberg

Original Poster
I think this sounds like an awesome trip! I love road trips, although I've never taken one this long. Have a great time and post some pics!! What is your instagram? I'll follow!!
I sent you a private message w/the Instagram info since I don't know if it's okay to put that stuff right out here in the open for all to see.:oops:

Upvote 0

Miceberg

Original Poster
All I can say is this, if you go through Georgia, prepare the energy drinks because man.. you'll want to sleep by the lack of ANYTHING you see driving in a straight line.

So funny - I'm worried that New Mexico and north Texas is going to be a big yawn too. We won't be driving through Georgia unless scary weather forces us that way. We'll be entering Florida from the Alabama side and I'll be looking for that fresh juice.:hungry:

Upvote 0

Figmentation

So funny - I'm worried that New Mexico and north Texas is going to be a big yawn too. We won't be driving through Georgia unless scary weather forces us that way. We'll be entering Florida from the Alabama side and I'll be looking for that fresh juice.:hungry:

I heard the Alabama drive is way better. You can still hit the Welcome Center though. :D

Upvote 0

Miceberg

Original Poster
I have driven from IN to California before, New Mexico is not to bad but Texas is pretty boring.
Then I'll try to think positive thoughts as we approach NM! We will be visiting good friends in Texas so hopefully the anticipation of seeing them again will outweigh the boredom.

Upvote 0

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
I can tell you that the Florida panhandle drive seems to go on forever. You will be on I-10 and I can see no reason at all for you to ever have to venture north into Georgia.

Keep your eyes peeled while driving through Mobile Al for the USS Alabama Battleship docked off to your right. They have made it into a floating museum. It will be after you go through the tunnel under the Mobile Bay.

https://www.google.com/maps/@30.6817837,-88.0153851,1015m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en

Upvote 0

SteveW

On a return from WDW to Nebraska, went spent a couple of days touring plantation home between New Orleans and Baton Rouge. Very cool. We drove around Nachez MS and thought was neat.

Upvote 0

draybook

When we moved from Riverside, CA to Dalton, PA, we drove. I wouldn't make that trip again unless it meant getting paid a lot of money. Kudos to you.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom