Driving from CT (about 1100 miles) to the world, thoughts?

Dad 2 M & M

I grew up in Buffalo, NY and, except for one or two trips, we always drove for our trips to the world. Today, with my own family, we do as well (about 8-9 hours from NC). I think it's much less stressful than flying and even with today's gas prices, it's often much cheaper. With kids I would definitely say your thought of stopping halfway is a good one... 19 hours is a long trip for little ones. Ironically your half-way point would be NC. Sorry but I don't have room to put you up. LOL! :)

EDIT: Oh and there is absolutely nothing like having your own vehicle with you for the trip. The freedom to come and go and not necessarily rely heavily on Disney Transportation is lovely. If you're staying on property it's free parking at each park as well.
How do you make in 8-9 from NC? You must not go through Greenville (sooo many get ticketed there!)It takes us 8-9 (450 miles) to get there from ATL! We haven't driven in quite some time, and don't we ever will again! We did make a least two pit stops on the way.
**Edit** Now that I think about it, the speed limit was 55 (I can't imagine that nowadays) the last time we drove down.....the fastest you could drive then (without risking a speeding ticket) was about 65.

Dad 2 M & M

I must have a lead foot. Usually it's 7 hours of driving for the 460 miles from ATL for us. With a couple of 15 minute breaks, we're there in about 7.5 hours.
The math works! When we drove, the speed limit was 55 and we couldn't surpass it by much. Driving 70 mph, it is certainly doable.

MagicKat103

we just did the drive in March from CT (about 25 minutes outside of Hartford). We left at 5:45pm on a wednesday evening, and hit the Disney exits thursday at noon. We drive straight through (I do the driving at night, since I'm used to staying up at night for work). I am not a huge flyer, so that's why we drive. We are flying in two weeks when we are going to WDW, but when we go back in February, we are driving again. DD's are great in the car. My biggest "issue" I thought we would have was with our youngest daughter. She is 3, and it centered around the bathroom. But we only made two extra stops for her, and luckily, both times she told us right before a rest stop that she needed to go. :)

awoogala

it is up for consideration to make our next trip a road trip from connecticut. When we go it will be me, my wife, my 4 year old son and my 2 year old daughter. can i get some pros and cons on why we should just fly, or is driving not that bad?

we are willing to stop halfway and spend the night to spread out the trip. straight through to orlando is about 19 hours, so with kids i would almost expect to double that.

what say you fine disney freaks like myself? :)

we drove every year during my childhood, and after flying once, we drive everytime.
pros:
eat when we want, stop when we want, pee when we want.
we bring our movies, and books and video games, spread them out, tAke up all the space we want.
we can pack a lot more to bring! (keuring coffee maker makes my life better!), and no baggage fees.
costs around $500 or so in gas (2011 prices) the four of us to fly is over $1000
not being groped by TSA. (priceless)
you have a car to use if you choose to for running around Orlando, the parks, etc.

cons:
takes a little longer.
wear and tear on your car.
that's about it. ;-)

now granted, I've never done the trip with a 2 year old, I think that might make it a bit tougher! My kids were all a bit older.

flynnibus

Premium Member
con:
risk of breakdown and putting your trip plans in a tizzy...

It can happen, and it's not pretty when it does happen. We broke down in GA on our last trip. 5pm on a saturday is not a great time to find solutions in rural georgia. It took about 45mins in calls to get a plan together.. a tow-truck hauling all of us to a dealer.. an hour long taxi ride to the nearest rental car location.. and then a weeklong minivan rental.. and then of course reversing that on the way home.

Cosmic Commando

con:
risk of breakdown and putting your trip plans in a tizzy...

It can happen, and it's not pretty when it does happen. We broke down in GA on our last trip. 5pm on a saturday is not a great time to find solutions in rural georgia. It took about 45mins in calls to get a plan together.. a tow-truck hauling all of us to a dealer.. an hour long taxi ride to the nearest rental car location.. and then a weeklong minivan rental.. and then of course reversing that on the way home.
We were going to drive our car down, but it's pretty old at this point for 1200 mi one way trip, so I got a Hotwire car at the last minute for $12 a day. It's still cheaper than flying, and then you don't have to worry about your car giving out.

cynic710

Original Poster
car rental may seem to be the way, but i have to consider 2 adults and 2 young children, plus luggage. so im wondering if renting a minivan is the way to do it. i know car rental places usually offer base models of cars, but im wondering if we can get one with a dvd player in it, unless i just get a portable.

again, thanks so much for all the intell on this, i cant thank you all enough!

wiigirl

I must have a lead foot. Usually it's 7 hours of driving for the 460 miles from ATL for us. With a couple of 15 minute breaks, we're there in about 7.5 hours.

Lol...thats a really good time. :p
75.gif

Cosmic Commando

car rental may seem to be the way, but i have to consider 2 adults and 2 young children, plus luggage. so im wondering if renting a minivan is the way to do it. i know car rental places usually offer base models of cars, but im wondering if we can get one with a dvd player in it, unless i just get a portable.

again, thanks so much for all the intell on this, i cant thank you all enough!
We got our kids two Innotabs before our trip... sort of like a kid's iPad. There are apps and games, but you can also load it up with movies and music, too. It's from vTech, but Leap Frog has its own, LeapPad, with some different features (LeapPad has a camera, for instance). I wouldn't be surprised if buying two of these ran even with renting one DVD player from the rental agency... but then you get to keep them! We paid for a compact car and got a Dodge Caliber (I'm not sure if this is supposed to be its class or not)... it was exactly the right size for four of us. We fit a double stroller, a maximum-checked-bag-on-an-airline-size suitcase and a carryon suitcase in the trunk and another smaller suitcase, a backpack with random stuff and a styrofoam cooler in the cabin with us. A hatchback is good for cargo room; you can ask at the counter to see what cars they have available. The kids in their car seats are gonna have pretty much the same amount of room whether they're in a subcompact or a minivan. Normally in my Hotwiring, compact up until full-size or standard cars are only a few dollars per day difference, but then there's a big jump for minivans or SUVs. Plus, a minivan is probably lucky to get 20 MPG versus 25-30+MPG for a smaller car. But if the math works for you, a minivan would definitely be cruising in style. I don't want to discourage you from a minivan, just tell you that you're not crazy if you rent a car!

kim79

we are also driving down from ct--hartford area. Our plan is to travel 81 to avoid the trafficky areas and a hotel in florence SC. Originally we were going to stay in Lumberton NC but i have decided i would rather drive the extra 1 1/2-ish across the border so its less driving the next day. We have portable dvd players and ds's for the kids (5 & 8) and I bought them new carseats. Here they have the basic booster seats but we have invested in larger more comfy carseats for them because they will be sitting in them for so long. And of course plenty of snacks for them

StarWarsGirl

And I thought that the 950 miles and 16 hours to Maryland was bad...:confused:

I would say fly. You'll end up paying a lot in gas and a hotel room, and flying gets you there to start enjoying the fun right away. If they're anything like me and my brother were, they don't want to wait to enjoy the magic.

If you do decide to drive it, get them a portable DVD player and bring a ton of movies. Nothing like movies passes the time. Also remember to bring plenty of snacks.

pocahontas1231

i plan on making the trip from NY to the World in january im nervous it will be 3 adults and 7year old 10 year old and a 2 year old!! we are trying to do a straight shot with three drivers and at least one adult to care and entertain the children if needed! been down there a million times everyone else will be their first excited because its my first road trip ever down there i usually fly but it is a lot cheaper to drive then fly with the amount of people we have going .. not to mention more flexability when down there with your own car!!

Cosmic Commando

i plan on making the trip from NY to the World in january im nervous it will be 3 adults and 7year old 10 year old and a 2 year old!! we are trying to do a straight shot with three drivers and at least one adult to care and entertain the children if needed! been down there a million times everyone else will be their first excited because its my first road trip ever down there i usually fly but it is a lot cheaper to drive then fly with the amount of people we have going .. not to mention more flexability when down there with your own car!!
What kind of vehicle? With three drivers, I really don't think it will be bad.

DisneyPrincess5

As a kid, we'd drive from CT and split the trip by stopping in either NC or SC overnight. From what i remember, it was really fun-the anticipation, the fun car activities, and the sightseeing. But it's obviously a loooooong trip and with the price of gas, you might as well fly and get there in 2.5 hours. Whatever you choose, you'll have a great time because the end result is DISNEY!!!

DisneyPrincess5

It's not 2 1/2 hours any more. My brother flew out of Detriot straight shot to Orlando and all together it took him close to 10 hours I think. That includes Disney bus time from the airport etc. If I show up 2 hours early in the Savannah GA airport I would have a hard time getting to WDW before I could drive all the way. I drive by the airport on my way to WDW and it takes me about 4 1/2 from my door to MK, seriously doubt I could get to WDW any faster using a commerical plane. Private plane yes commerical no.
I speak from experience-from BDL I'm Connecticut to MCO in Orlando nonstop its about 2.5 hours. Done it many times.

cynic710

Original Poster
yeah, from Hartford its a 2.5 hour fly to MCO. and last year when i did it with my then 1.5 yo it seemed like 5 hours. kids will be kids but its so hard to have the whole plane look at you and your "loud" child. i mean at this point people flying to MCO should realize most on the plane are disney families on their way to the world, and in the grand picture, what other people think is irrelevent, but i guess im just one of those people who dont want to be "that guy". thats why this thread even exists. the drive would have pros and cons, along with any other means of travel.. i just dont think i can wait 4 more years (when my kids will be 6-4, and easier to maintain on a plane noise wise) to go.

awoogala

yeah, from Hartford its a 2.5 hour fly to MCO. and last year when i did it with my then 1.5 yo it seemed like 5 hours. kids will be kids but its so hard to have the whole plane look at you and your "loud" child. i mean at this point people flying to MCO should realize most on the plane are disney families on their way to the world, and in the grand picture, what other people think is irrelevent, but i guess im just one of those people who dont want to be "that guy". thats why this thread even exists. the drive would have pros and cons, along with any other means of travel.. i just dont think i can wait 4 more years (when my kids will be 6-4, and easier to maintain on a plane noise wise) to go.

I agree. Flying with my kids was torture. Everyone always has to use the restroom when they can't, everyone is scared to death, etc. And waiting for the Disney bus to the hotel takes hours, even in January. When we drive, I just pack lots of little car games, and only give them one new game every few hours. Movies once the sun goes down, and we plan to drive all night, no stopping this time. Cost us about $500 last year in gas. Way cheaper then flying for four of us from jersey.

thrupaytonseyes

I think Corey was trying to say when you add up all of the time... travel to airport, being at airport 2 hours before flight because of check in and security, the flight itself, and travel from airport to hotel via ME....it takes more than the 2.5 hours it ends up taking close to 10 hours.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom