Drive from Miami

arequipa

We can save a bunch of money flying into Miami over Orlando. What is the drive like between Miami and Orlando? How long will it take? We don't plan to keep a rental car the whole time so we will rent one way there and one way back.

richiejg

Driving Miami to Orlando

I'm driving from Miami to Orlando next summer as the flights from the UK were so cheap to Miami compared to Orlando.

I would love to know what the drive is like and the best route, I've been looking on some maps and looks like a good 3hr drive.

Can anyone help us?

Upvote 0

Tomorrow'sChild

It takes anywhere between 3-4 hours, depending on how fast your driving and if you stop frequently. You can take either I-95 or the Turnpike. Turnpike has tolls but it's the faster route. We tend to leave at around 5ish am and get there at around 9ish am. I personally love the drive there cause I love road trips. We usually stop at the Port St. Lucie/Ft. Pierce Plaza, which is about half way. Have breakfast, pick up some Disney and other Florida attraction brochures, and we're back on route. Hopefully your family enjoys the trip as much as we do.

Upvote 0

joshwill

We can save a bunch of money flying into Miami over Orlando. What is the drive like between Miami and Orlando? How long will it take? We don't plan to keep a rental car the whole time so we will rent one way there and one way back.

a drive from fort lauderdale to wdw, which i do 3-4 times a year, takes me about 3 hours.

take the turnpike, its well worth the toll, north, get off at the osceola parkway, head west, it takes you right on in. :)

Upvote 0

reptar77

a drive from fort lauderdale to wdw, which i do 3-4 times a year, takes me about 3 hours.

take the turnpike, its well worth the toll, north, get off at the osceola parkway, head west, it takes you right on in. :)

We drive from Boca Raton it takes approx 2-2.5 hours. Follow the directions above, it may seem longer at first but trust me it is the fastest way.

Upvote 0

dox

I grew up in Miami (I moved away a few years ago) and did this trip at least 20 times or more since 1972. It takes a good 3 1/2 to 4 hours and thats factoring in one stop. Don't know how you are going to handle the long flight plus car time. As a kid, we left early in the morning and got there way b4 lunch and still managed to enjoy almost a full day our first day at WDW. But not sure if that will be the case for you as I don't know what time you'd be landing in Miami.

As said above best bet is the Florida Turnpike. However, a word of caution, you need to factor in what time you are arriving in Miami and what time your flight leaves out of Miami. There are two ways to the turnpike from the airport, you take the Dolphin Expressway westbound (aka 836 or 826 can't remember which) or take I-95 North then at some point, don't remember which, you can take a road that travels west towards the Turnpike. Either road has a lot of traffic all day and even the Turnpike, which is travelled less will have heavy traffic around the normal rush hours until you get away from the developed areas of Dade And Broward Counties. You could be tacking on an extra 1/2 hour to an hour if you aren't careful.

In addition, unless things have changed recently, all the rental cars at Miami are offsite, which means you need to take a shuttle to the rental locations. All told it sounds to me that it will be about 5 - 6 hours of additional travel time from landing in Miami to your arrival in Orlando by car.

Before you book it all, really think it through. If you're staying for an extended period of time it may be worth the savings by adding on a good 5 - 6 hours roughly. Otherwise, might be best to travel directly into Orlando.

I'd also look around in terms of flights. I travel often from NYC to Miami during the year and travel at least once a year or every 2 to Orlando and the prices between the two destinations are not that much different. Actually the Orlando flights are slightly cheaper. Might not be the case from where you're flying from, but i'd shop around and make sure. Also look into Tampa, that is about 1 1/2 hours away and may also be cheaper than Orlando. Either way Good Luck.

Upvote 0

Shaman

As said above best bet is the Florida Turnpike. However, a word of caution, you need to factor in what time you are arriving in Miami and what time your flight leaves out of Miami. There are two ways to the turnpike from the airport, you take the Dolphin Expressway westbound (aka 836 or 826 can't remember which) or take I-95 North then at some point, don't remember which, you can take a road that travels west towards the Turnpike. Either road has a lot of traffic all day and even the Turnpike, which is travelled less will have heavy traffic around the normal rush hours until you get away from the developed areas of Dade And Broward Counties. You could be tacking on an extra 1/2 hour to an hour if you aren't careful.

Great post!

Probably the best bet would be to take the 836 (Dolphin Expressway) west and exit onto the Turnpike North. There are other routes, the 826 North for example will hook you up to I-75 then connect to the Sawgrass Expressway which connects to the turnpike (as an alternate in case there is traffic on the turnpike somewhere in Broward County or the 836 is jammed).

Chances are you will encounter lots of traffic, unless you arrive in the early early morning hours. Try to avoid these roads during rush hour...I'd say avoid them from 6-9am and 4-7pm...(either extremes the traffic is lighter than if you're caught in the middle of the time ranges I've mentioned).

No matter the time, the roads will be a bit crowded...You won't see any relief until you pass Palm Beach County (on the turnpike). Which is about 45 minutes away from Miami (depending on traffic and how fast you drive). Then traffic is lighter and you can enjoy the scenery more...lots of cows...and swamps....I love the drive.

I-95 has no tolls, but its not the fastest route and its a lot more crowded.

Usually we leave in the morning 5:30 - 6:00...and get there before nine (not stopping). Of course we don't live near the airport....

Keep an eye out for the Highway Patrol...they hide in the trees. :lookaroun

Check flights at Ft. Lauderdale/Hollywood International to Orlando...maybe you can drive up and catch a cheap flight from there to Orlando instead of driving all the way up.

Have fun! :D

Upvote 0

isaidchowda

do not take i 95

i95 veers up the east coast through daytona, cape canaveral etc. It will take you much longer taking i95 up the coast and then getting off and having to deal with treking though orlando (i4 408) to get to disney.

bite the bullet and take the turnpike. it goes through the central part of the state, will get you there much faster, and as someone said the osceola park exit takes you right inside

from miami it will take 3.5-4.5 hours depending on how you drive. but expect 3.5 to be the minimum

Upvote 0

DDuckFan130

Great post!

Probably the best bet would be to take the 836 (Dolphin Expressway) west and exit onto the Turnpike North. There are other routes, the 826 North for example will hook you up to I-75 then connect to the Sawgrass Expressway which connects to the turnpike (as an alternate in case there is traffic on the turnpike somewhere in Broward County or the 836 is jammed).

Chances are you will encounter lots of traffic, unless you arrive in the early early morning hours. Try to avoid these roads during rush hour...I'd say avoid them from 6-9am and 4-7pm...(either extremes the traffic is lighter than if you're caught in the middle of the time ranges I've mentioned).

No matter the time, the roads will be a bit crowded...You won't see any relief until you pass Palm Beach County (on the turnpike). Which is about 45 minutes away from Miami (depending on traffic and how fast you drive). Then traffic is lighter and you can enjoy the scenery more...lots of cows...and swamps....I love the drive.

I-95 has no tolls, but its not the fastest route and its a lot more crowded.

Usually we leave in the morning 5:30 - 6:00...and get there before nine (not stopping). Of course we don't live near the airport....

Keep an eye out for the Highway Patrol...they hide in the trees. :lookaroun

Check flights at Ft. Lauderdale/Hollywood International to Orlando...maybe you can drive up and catch a cheap flight from there to Orlando instead of driving all the way up.

Have fun! :D
Well I live further south from the airport but I say your time estimates are pretty much the same. For us, however, we sometimes stop once, so if we leave at 6am, we get there at around 9:30-10am.

To the OP, as far as directions go, you've been given good ones so enjoy the drive up and don't be surprised at how flat this state is :lookaroun

Upvote 0

Shaman

Well I live further south from the airport but I say your time estimates are pretty much the same. For us, however, we sometimes stop once, so if we leave at 6am, we get there at around 9:30-10am.

To the OP, as far as directions go, you've been given good ones so enjoy the drive up and don't be surprised at how flat this state is :lookaroun

There are a couple of bridges...:lookaroun:lol:

Okay some links:
Florida Turnpike (browse through it for all sorts of great information)

Turnpike Toll Rates- the total depends on where you enter the turnpike (Take a look at Homestead Extension, South Coin System, Sawgrass Extension and especially the Ticket system and see if your route includes any of the tolls or toll systems) You're probably looking at more than 15$ in toll expenses....

Miami International Airport

Ft. Lauderdale/Hollywood International Airport

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom