drinks included in quick service plan?

buckeyegator

Original Poster
with drinks included, and the refill mug, it seems that on average with the quick service plan you save about 7-10 dollars a day, depending on the meal prices, i guess not bad for the convenience of it.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
with drinks included, and the refill mug, it seems that on average with the quick service plan you save about 7-10 dollars a day, depending on the meal prices, i guess not bad for the convenience of it.
Hmm, considering it's $57/day for 2 QS meals, 1 snack, and the refillable mug I don't see where you think that you are saving $7-10 dollars per day. Just as example - go to MK - eat lunch at Casey's and order the most expensive item with a fountain drink - then dinner at Cosmic Rays and the total for that day is just $38.06. Add in a $5.79 snack and you are still only at $43.85 - costing you about $13 more for the dining plan just for that day alone. There is no way the refillable mug is worth that extra cost since you can only fill it at your resort and not at the parks. You might do a bit better at EPCOT, HS, and AK where you can order an adult beverage for each menu, but you certainly are never saving $7-10 per day.

buckeyegator

Original Poster
i think the value would be in how many times you filled your mug over your stay,say 4 times a day over a 4 day stay, at roughly 5.00 per drink that is 20.00 a day, so you then have 37.00 a day to play with, and under the above post it comes out to 44.00 per day, plus the 20.00 in drinks means about 64.00, more if meals are more expensive.

jaklgreen

i think the value would be in how many times you filled your mug over your stay,say 4 times a day over a 4 day stay, at roughly 5.00 per drink that is 20.00 a day, so you then have 37.00 a day to play with, and under the above post it comes out to 44.00 per day, plus the 20.00 in drinks means about 64.00, more if meals are more expensive.
So with your math, you just paid $80 for a $21 refillable mug. If you are valuing the drinks costs that you "save" $20/day with the mug and taking that from your dining plan budget, then it is costing you more. You can pay that $44 OOP for your food daily and only pay $21 ONCE for the mug. That comes out cheaper than paying $57/day for the dining plan. Take out the cost of the mug and you are paying $51.75 per day for the dining plan. Are you really going to spend that much for 2 quick service meals and 1 snack every day?
You can easily eat a quick service meal with a drink for under $20. Seriously, do the math. And again, you will be buying drinks in the parks regardless because the mugs are no good there.

Weather_Lady

You're right that it depends on the habits of the guest, although I suspect it's a rare guest who walks to the refilling station 4 or more times a day. We spend most of our days in the parks. When we had the DDP years ago, we hoofed it to the food court to refill our mugs once or twice the first couple of days, and then largely gave up on it, because it wasn't worth the trip. I can see the value in it maybe if you're doing a resort-only vacation, are used to drinking large quantities of fountain drinks at home, or are spending a lot of time sitting around the pool, but unless you're sticking close to refill stations, the mugs are just not that convenient or tidy to use or carry around. Not only that, but my daughter drinks only water and I mainly drink water and coffee (which was free in the room anyway), so every penny spent toward a refillable mug (or a drink entitlement at a CS or TS location) is a penny we wouldn't have spent otherwise.

But, everyone is different...

Last edited:

Hcalvert

You're right that it depends on the habits of the guest, although I suspect it's a rare guest who walks to the refilling station 4 or more times a day. We spend most of our days in the parks. When we had the DDP years ago, we hoofed it to the food court to refill our mugs once or twice the first couple of days, and then largely gave up on it, because it wasn't worth the trip. I can see the value in it maybe if you're doing a resort-only vacation, are used to drinking large quantities of fountain drinks at home, or are spending a lot of time sitting around the pool, but unless you're sticking close to refill stations, the mugs are just not that convenient or tidy to use or carry around. Not only that, but my daughter drinks only water and I mainly drink water and coffee (which was free in the room anyway), so every penny spent toward a refillable mug (or a drink entitlement at a CS or TS location) is a penny we wouldn't have spent otherwise.

But, everyone is different...
I generally think that the refillable cup is not worth it. However, I bought one for my son on our last trip when we stayed at the Beach Club and he used it a lot and he got his money worth. It was helpful that there was a refill station at the pool and at the marketplace by the elevators to our room. He's 15 and went to the parks until the afternoon and then spent the rest of the time at the pool or the room. One place I will never buy a refill cup is at the Boardwalk. It is so inconvienent to have to leave the resort and walk down the boardwalk to just get a refill. I knew that none of us wanted to do that. I see a lot of people lugging the cups around in the park. They are too bulky and leak too much for that, so we couldn't be bothered.

JIMINYCR

We always get the refillable cup and get enough use out of it during our 2 week trips that it does save us money. The cups are small however so you dont get a huge fill up of soda. I would like it if Dis would give us an option of purchasing a slightly larger mug.

CaptainAmerica

There is a reason it is offered and it is not out of Disney's kind heart. It is a HUGE money maker for Disney....
You *can* win with the plan. But it's very hard, and you have to try, and your normal behavior would have to align with what the plan offers pretty much exactly. The inclusion of alcohol (and the corresponding price increase) was the final nail on the plan's viability for most people.

CaptainAmerica

I would like it if Dis would give us an option of purchasing a slightly larger mug.
They were, for awhile. They had stainless steel cups for an upcharge. There was a Star Wars one, a Skyliner one, maybe a few others. But I think they've disappeared.

1691171571987.png

1691171599384.png

jaklgreen

You *can* win with the plan. But it's very hard, and you have to try, and your normal behavior would have to align with what the plan offers pretty much exactly. The inclusion of alcohol (and the corresponding price increase) was the final nail on the plan's viability for most people.
Plus them going down to 1 snack credit instead of 2 is them just being extra greedy. I can't see how anyone can make the quick service plan work. There are just not enough meals that cost that much even with getting alcohol.

buckeyegator

Original Poster
i think most people use it to avoid cash/and or credit cards on their trip, prepay and load your magic band for anything else.

slappy magoo

We did the dining plan in 05. I think(?) it was like 30 or 35 per night and the sit down meal included appetizer dessert and tip. Mug wasn't included. Still phenomenal value even at significantly lower meal prices.
In the 2010s, with 2 younger kids, the deluxe plan actually made sense because we did so many more sit down meals,especially prix fixe character meals. Got the kids to see who they wanted to see, didn't have to wait on lines in the parks,usually got in the parks early. It was still a good "value" based on prices for kids in those venues. We'd usually drive home with over a dozen treats because of all the leftover credits, main Street fudge on the drive home, crispy rice treats the next day, chip and Dale trail mix for a week or more after.
Now my kids are over 10 but no "adult" appetites. MY wife rarely drinks, I hardly ever drink. Dining plans are so far in the rear view mirror I can barely see them.

As far as refillable mugs go, don't think of them - if you think of them at all - as a cost cutting tool. They are an expensive utilitarian souvenir with a perk.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom